Test drove a Mitsubishi Mirage

No more negative than the same old digs on small cars,
Let’s have a collision, you can have the mirage, I’ll drive my truck. Simple as that I made no insult about people who drive little cars unlike the tired old manhood shtick about trucks.

Some link above says the Mirage has the worst death rate. Would that stop anyone here from buying one? Having a young driver in one?

When a base mazda 3 is at 24K I'll see what I can get off that number - or wait a bit more and get a much nicer car.

Seeing that the 2024 model year will be the last of the Mitsubishi Mirage here in the US, I went out to one of my three local Mitsubishi dealers to test drive the Mirage. After doing some online research about the car before hand, this little thing has a cult like following and the 1.2L three cylinder is pretty much bulletproof. The car has been out since 2012, so all the small problems should of been worked out a long time ago. I watched maintenance videos on the tube and everything is super simple, including dropping the CVT pan.
The car only has 78hp, so it’s slowwww. I have my 136hp R1250 GSA if I want to go fast. I ride my bike most of the year but need a car for the raining months here in the PNW. I like the SE trim because it has full LED lights, front and rear, heated seats, push button start, spare tire, and a few safety features the lower trims don’t have. The SE trim is about $1500 higher then the lower trims. MSRP is a little over $20K. I like the plaid seats on the SE also. The hard part is locating a SE trim, since most dealers stock the lower ES trim. A competitor to the SE would be the Nissan Versa SR at $22,000. The SR Versa also has LED headlights and heated seats.

View attachment 184037
View attachment 184038
View attachment 184039
I like everything except the $20k price. They blew it, no wonder they dont sell. $15k and I bet we would see a lot more of them. I enjoy driving base model manual cars offered south of the border. A/C and car play/navigation are about the only options I want. We need the Suzuki Jiminy in the US.

Let’s have a collision, you can have the mirage, I’ll drive my truck. Simple as that I made no insult about people who drive little cars unlike the tired old manhood shtick about trucks.

Some link above says the Mirage has the worst death rate. Would that stop anyone here from buying one? Having a young driver in one?
I still drive a 1981 Comutacar and a moped occasionally. Doesn’t stop me.

I actually own very simple old stripped down vehicles . And always will.

Those who say no one would own cheap simple vehicles don’t realize that folks who buy them have to buy old cars, nothing cheap and simple on the market.

only losers with bad credit buy these. mitsubishi gives anyone credit. only way they can sell these around here

Tell us you own one without saying you own a couple.

Lots of insincere lamentations over the loss of this model. (lol) "Americans needs basic, affordable, reliable transportation"; companies provide it and no one buys them
You're close. The real message is "Americans should be buying basic, affordable, reliable transportation. Other Americans."

While meanwhile we scoop up big trucks and SUVs like they're candy.

I sure wouldnt want to drive one from a safety standpoint. highest death rate.
otherwise I sorta like small cars. If I could find a mint dodge omni or colt....

Its the size disparity. Almost need separate roads for small cars and then everything else.

Almost got one before the 2020 elantra.. The local dealer had a 2 year old one with low miles.. but at insane price and wouldnt budge

so got the 2020 elantra for 2500 more.

I told the dealer douche I need a final offer or shes going to be driving a new hyundai from your neighbor in a couple days.

So he writes up a final price 2500 lower.. doesnt mention that includes the trade in.. I go there and drive it and find out
2 days later she has a 2020 elantra.
Note the elantra is the value edition so pretty loaded.. vs the stripped used mitsu with 23000? miles for 2500 less.. yeah dealer games.

You're close. The real message is "Americans should be buying basic, affordable, reliable transportation. Other Americans."

You nailed it!
It’s always everybody else that buys on impulse or to impress others or some other shallow reason, people on BITOG always buy what they need using only logic and reason. Their choices are perfectly justifiable, it’s every one else that’s the problem.

only losers with bad credit buy these. mitsubishi gives anyone credit. only way they can sell these around
It's a relatively inexpensive car line with a very generous warranty. Lots of frugal people would be interested in something like that. Most people that I know who are actually wealthy drive much cheaper cars than what their means would allow.

It's a relatively inexpensive car line with a very generous warranty. Lots of frugal people would be interested in something like that. Most people that I know who are actually wealthy drive much cheaper cars than what their means would allow.
Why aren’t these “frugal” people buying the car then? To the point that Mitsubishi is stopping the sales in US of this model. Is Mitsubishi part of the conspiracy to push these frugal folks into the more expensive models?

Lots of frugal people would be interested in something like that. Most people that I know who are actually wealthy drive much cheaper cars than what their means would allow.
I didn't buy a Mirage, but a Fit.... I meet most of those requirements besides the wealthy part. Tons of room for a single person, great mileage, happily cruises all day long at 70 MPH and it comes highly recommended by CKN. What's not to like?

Interestingly, its also my tallest car, something I notice when I wash it by hand or go to a drive-up window.

I've seen what happens to the occupants of small cars that get hit by larger vehicles. I wouldn't want to be in something smaller than common vehicle on the road. (that said, my BMW Z4 probably has a smaller footprint and is more economical to own but is built like a tank).

I called two dealers and inquired about the SE trim. Both took my name and number down and said they would call me back, both didn’t. I guess they feed off the subprime people that walk into the dealer.
These types are cars were way cheaper before covid. I picked up a 2017 Chevy Spark for $9,300, MSRP was $14,000. You look at any car these days and the MSRP rose $2K in the last two years. The new Civic Sport and HRV Sport are two. The Ford Maverick has had multiple price bumps since it came out two years ago. Ford raised the delivery fee twice to $1595, and the thing is made in Mexico.

Why aren’t these “frugal” people buying the car then? To the point that Mitsubishi is stopping the sales in US of this model. Is Mitsubishi part of the conspiracy to push these frugal folks into the more expensive models?
Mitsubishi definitely has a pretty minimal presence here in the US car market. I believe their market share is below 1%. They are a huge company and we are a pretty insignificant part of their overall business. I was more referring to cheap small cars collectively. $20k for a brand new car with a 10 year powertrain warranty is a compelling value proposition to me that only a handful of manufacturers are offering, including Mitsubishi.

2023 Nissan Versa S, 1.6L/5MT, base MSRP, including "shipping & handling" is $17,075. And with nearly every option offered: $20,517.

"Cool", I thought to myself... And quickly realized that a more loaded, and barely used, Nissan Sentra will come at 50%-75% of new Versa's MSRP.
Here is one of many examples. A really nice 2018 Nissan Sentra Nismo, with a 1.6L Turbo and a 6-speed manual. Only 20k miles, $15,777 price tag. They got quite a bit of interior space for the size. I'm a big guy, and was equally comfortable in both front and rear seats.
View attachment 184112

Our 2019 is a NA 1.8/CVT and we paid a bit less for that off lease with 15K (ish) miles, but the gas mileage out of it is also pretty crazy. I can easily get into the high 40s just by driving it lightly. It's also faster 0-60 than my 2001 Grand Marquis!

I wouldn't mind one of those SR / Nismo turbocharged 6 speed Sentras. I like how ours has a beam rear axle, cable parking brake, 134A AC system. Just makes for something that I can fix easily long term.

I called two dealers and inquired about the SE trim. Both took my name and number down and said they would call me back, both didn’t. I guess they feed off the subprime people that walk into the dealer.
These types are cars were way cheaper before covid. I picked up a 2017 Chevy Spark for $9,300, MSRP was $14,000. You look at any car these days and the MSRP rose $2K in the last two years. The new Civic Sport and HRV Sport are two. The Ford Maverick has had multiple price bumps since it came out two years ago. Ford raised the delivery fee twice to $1595, and the thing is made in Mexico.

The hybrid Maverick went from $21000 to $26000 in a single model year!

Our 2019 is a NA 1.8/CVT and we paid a bit less for that off lease with 15K (ish) miles, but the gas mileage out of it is also pretty crazy. I can easily get into the high 40s just by driving it lightly. It's also faster 0-60 than my 2001 Grand Marquis!

I wouldn't mind one of those SR / Nismo turbocharged 6 speed Sentras. I like how ours has a beam rear axle, cable parking brake, 134A AC system. Just makes for something that I can fix easily long term.
For similar money, a Sentra makes more sense for most people for sure. I just wish they had a Sentra wagon! That would make the most sense for more people, instead of a 3 cyl turbo 2wd SUV that struggles to get high 20's mpg....

Back