2006 Honda Odyssey-Sudden Electrical Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all and Happy New Year (almost)

Oddest thing just happened on the Odyssey.

while driving, I lost: blinkers (hazards still work), power door locks (although every time door opens/closes you can that its trying to lock), rear wiper/wash, front intermittent wiper/wash and mist (although wiper low and fast work), high beams (low beams work), and the headlight indicator light on instrument panel.

Blinkers worked fine as I pulled out of drive as did rear wiper and wash... Made one stop and opened/closed rear gate... Then I realized the blinkers were no longer working.. Pulled over and checked several fuses all of which were fine.

Admittedly, the manual is weak when it comes to fuse locations but, short of checking every single one, I found a few and they were all fine

Craziest thing... Happened in the span of 2 minutes

Anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid it could be related to the stalk on steering column but both stalks? And the stalks have nothing to do with power side doors (forgot to mention, they don't work either)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

is the alternator still outputting the correct voltage? the ecu may be cutting power due to low output

I would test both alt and battery

Modern vehicles seem to be rather sensitive to electrical voltage. I second the suggestion to check both the alternator and the battery. We had similarly odd issues with our MDX once. It just needed a new battery.

That's a relief... Thank you.

Was waiting for the wheels to start falling off or something

Thank you again

Every Honda we had came with a battery that was insufficient after 2 years. Get a bigger capacity battery.

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
is the alternator still outputting the correct voltage? the ecu may be cutting power due to low output

I would test both alt and battery

+1 Always start at the battery/alternator for every electrical problem...

Hondas seem to do have oddball issues when the battery is on it's last legs. The tractor supply batteries they use don't help matters.

Honda's large vehicles (like Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline) use a standard Group 24F battery, which is a fairly common medium-to-large battery size. You can get 'em anywhere for not much money, and they should last a good 4+ years under typical conditions (assuming a quality battery, no abuse, etc).

Thanks all... Had battery/alternator checked and both, I'm told, were fine. I'm 300 miles from home/tools and figured it would just be a [censored] drive home tomorrow.

Got in the car this evening, and I'll be darned if everything was working again...!

Now, THAT makes me really nervous

Thanks again for all the input and have a Happy & Safe New Year's...!!!

--bob

I was going to say internal short in the battery that is intermittent...

If it checked fine, then thats not the case, unless it really is... intermittent...

when the regulator died in my accord the car did lots of odd things.like the lock system spontaneously locking and unlocking.and the open door indicators all flashing.like one had opened all the doors at once.it would alternate between no charging to over 17v!was an easy fix on the car .but it did lots of goofy things.like bog down/hesitate then recover without setting any codes.
watch your voltage with a meter or an android app and bluetooth adaptor.
and check grounds/battery connections.
also beware of a flaky ignition switch.you will randomly lose accy power.was a recall on those.

Sometimes the battery will check out fine esp on Hondas. Then as soon as a new battery is installed all the little gremlins/issues go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back