Electrical Gremlin

I have checked all relevant fuses and bulbs. I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. What fault would disable the following in a 2010 New Beetle? Do all those features have a common ground?

low beams don't work
fog lights don't work
blinker doesn't work
wiper doesn't work
windshield washer doesn't work
power outlet doesn't work

VW uses a multi-switch for all of the items mentioned. Either a bad ground or bad switch.
This is probably a job for the VW dealership.

On the other hand, since that's the car that had the broken pendulum mount, maybe the engine was rocking so much that a ground connection got disturbed. I'll have to look for a ground diagram.

A bad ground that was caused by the engine rocking excessively (*just guessing*) would likely not be affecting *body accessories* like that (they’re probably grounded to sheet metal, not the engine). Your symptoms sound like they stem from 2 problems-multifunction switch problem of some sort and then the accessory power problem is likely separate. Like I said though, just an educated guess.

Are all those functions on steering column stalks? That starts looking to me like a... well, ... Its german. Could very well have a control module for the column those all talk to and through. Or a wiring harness in the column.

I realized what was going on when the HVAC fan and the horn also stopped working. It's progressive failure of the ignition switch.

The new ignition switch is in. The electric connector that plugs into it needed also replacing because it was melted. I really don't care for working on electrical stuff. Everything is working fine. I hope to not see my nephew's car for a while.

Last edited:
Back