RANGE ROVER REAR AXLE ISSUE

That looks like a drum? In post #16 meep said rotor so I was picturing a disc driveline brake ala Rockwell etc
From factory it’s a drum and shoe assembly. You can buy “upgrade” kits that change it to a disc with caliper and pads but I’ve never seen the attraction as the standard set up works well when maintained and used correctly.

You had too little clearance/ over adjusted the shoes. Common mistake and causes massive judder/ vibration through the whole car. This wasn’t ever used on the Range Rover sport though.
AMAZING!!! Man, that makes so much sense!! Wish I’d known that, but happy to know now!

I helped a friend with a budget Land Rover purchase years ago. Is yours the one with the parking brake as a rotor on the transfer case tail shaft? He had to do major work on it and when he put it back together it had undeliverable, severe driveshaft vibrations. We removed parts, isolated things, had it all balanced, and never could figure it out, and sold it that way. I’ve never seen anything like it.
This one, fortunately, did not have that system. It did have the next worst thing - an electronic parking brake lol

Side note - if anybody needs anything off the old motor before I send it back for core let me know. Lots of good external parts including the supercharger.

Found an interesting youtube site- the guy is a core dealer and pulls apart grenaded engines- all sorts. Some of those MB. Audi. etc are COMPLICATED- makes a hemi or LS look like stone age. Got into a few SC Range Rovers.

Got a 4.0 TDI Audi engine apart at the moment. Cams are £6000 each and it has 4, this is due to the switchable valve lift mechanism. It needs a timing chain due to not being serviced correctly. (23,000 miles on factory fill).

Back