RANGE ROVER REAR AXLE ISSUE

Just replaced an engine in a 2017 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Dynamic 3.0L SC. Very costly job for the woman - the motor alone from LKQ was 13k. Well everything went well except when pulling the rear driveshaft it separated - but the ball bearings did not come out. It's sort of like a CV joint design. I could not get the cap back on. I ended up removing and reseating the ball bearings and putting back together exactly how they were and it went back together nicely or so I thought. I paint marked everything too. Finished up the job today and the motor and all is great - but I have a vibration coming from the rear driveshaft over 20-25mph that is very unacceptable. My question is what is my best option?? A replacement used one is $650. It was after 5pm when this was discovered so nobody was open at the local drivetrain shops - which hopefully they can rebuild that part and get me back right for low cost. If it wasn't for all the work removing the shaft I would try reindexing and trying again but that's a lot of work for an unknown result until its all back together. Anybody work on these and have tips on anything I might be able to do? My shop does just about everything but axles/CV's are not my specialty lol

that’s a gkn joint like most rwd euro cars, new jeeps, ford suvs, front driveshaft on f150 a bunch of things use it

either way new driveshaft time. don’t even bother unless you’ve got top notch driveline shop

Attachments

• 8D3EACC3-1AA9-41F0-BA6F-EFA1656A17B5.jpeg
    8D3EACC3-1AA9-41F0-BA6F-EFA1656A17B5.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
that’s a gkn joint like most rwd euro cars, new jeeps, ford suvs, front driveshaft on f150 a bunch of things use it

either way new driveshaft time. don’t even bother unless you’ve got top notch driveline shop
Yep! That's it! I was afraid of that too. I appreciate that feedback.

That look like something I could install - is that a repair kit?

That look like something I could install - is that a repair kit?
yes some cars have them avaliable pic is for a porsche suv.

driveline guys know the connections…i don’t waste my time on anything more than a center bearing.

@GMBoy, what happens in a case like this?

If it was your fault (not saying it was) the driveshaft was damaged during removal, does your shop eat the replacement/repair cost?

Alternatively, if these always unavoidably self-destruct when removed, should a driveshaft be priced into any related work?

Is it typical for these engines to fail?

What was the nature of the failure?

Is the high cost of a used engine due to scarcity?

Just curious - I'm sure I'll never own one of these.

Automotive Driveline Supply, 817 284 8187. They're in Hurst....Knowledgeable guy, He builds all my aluminum driveshafts.
Calling him right now!!! Yes sir I was hoping you would chime in! THANKS

@GMBoy, what happens in a case like this?

If it was your fault (not saying it was) the driveshaft was damaged during removal, does your shop eat the replacement/repair cost?

Alternatively, if these always unavoidably self-destruct when removed, should a driveshaft be priced into any related work?

Is it typical for these engines to fail?

What was the nature of the failure?

Is the high cost of a used engine due to scarcity?

Just curious - I'm sure I'll never own one of these.
All good questions! The owner overheated the truck and blew headgaskets and damaged the supercharger too which is coolant cooled. The engines have known issues with plastic coolant tubes in the valley of the motor to crack and leak - which happened in this case and she kept driving. High cost of the motors are common in certain brands - complexity and maybe the "range rover tax" lol drives up prices.

The shaft fell apart on removal, not exactly my fault but it was fine before I removed it so based on my view of good shop integrity, I am covering the cost of this repair. I have never had this happen but again - I will fix it on my dime.

yes some cars have them avaliable pic is for a porsche suv.

driveline guys know the connections…i don’t waste my time on anything more than a center bearing.
I agree - but this just happened involuntarily lol. Thanks again

yup the water pump or coolant crossover in the back goes out and with the average driver the situation quickly spirals out of control. open deck block warps bad needs a good machine shop and if they didn’t stop the the cylinders crack in pieces.

my boss bought a copart 18 5.0 that got the jiffy lube no oil special. first used engine came on a pallet upside down sitting on the valve covers, second on got sent on its side 😂

core shortage on these because of so many “preventable” overheat situations so accident car engines are of high value.

Last edited:

Is this aka rzeppa or am I confused?

I helped a friend with a budget Land Rover purchase years ago. Is yours the one with the parking brake as a rotor on the transfer case tail shaft? He had to do major work on it and when he put it back together it had undeliverable, severe driveshaft vibrations. We removed parts, isolated things, had it all balanced, and never could figure it out, and sold it that way. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I helped a friend with a budget Land Rover purchase years ago. Is yours the one with the parking brake as a rotor on the transfer case tail shaft? He had to do major work on it and when he put it back together it had undeliverable, severe driveshaft vibrations. We removed parts, isolated things, had it all balanced, and never could figure it out, and sold it that way. I’ve never seen anything like it.
You had too little clearance/ over adjusted the shoes. Common mistake and causes massive judder/ vibration through the whole car. This wasn’t ever used on the Range Rover sport though.

You had too little clearance/ over adjusted the shoes. Common mistake and causes massive judder/ vibration through the whole car. This wasn’t ever used on the Range Rover sport though.
Shoes or pads?

shoes, common back in the day. the isuzu straight trucks still use them.
That looks like a drum? In post #16 meep said rotor so I was picturing a disc driveline brake ala Rockwell etc

Back