1st time shopper for brand new. Ecoboost mustang?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm kind of fed up with car shopping for a 3 year old vehicle, which was my old tactic. For the first time I'm going to explore buying new. While down at nissan looking at a used cx-5 today they told me about their lifetime powertrain warranty which I didn't realize anyone was doing now a days. I thought hyundai 10 year/100k warranty was still the best but I really like the lifetime deal. Is anyone else offering lifetime powertrain? Best warranty in general?

As far as what Im looking for, I really want a sports car and a manual transmission but I'm a traveler and need to be realistic about mpg and reliability. I like the ecoboost mustang, 30 mpg highway and peppy enough to have fun with. Price seems good also. Anyone have one? Reliable? How is ford's warranty? Anything at a comparable price? Genesis? 370? It's either sports car or high mpg suv. If I do go suv, the warranty is going to play a larger role in the decision.

Thanks for any info or opinions.

The Ecoboost stangs are alot of fun! at least on the track! I wouldn't hesitate to get one. They are lighter and more nimble than the V8 version, and quite fun as you wind it up. Nissan lifetime powertrain warranty? that sounds like a warranty that is offered by a local dealer and not Nissan.

Every car maker offers an add on one that is backed by the factory. Pick the vehicle you like best and add a warranty if that makes you feel more comfortable then negotiate your price. Do not buy any aftermarket warranties as they are painful.

You may get a much better deal on a vehicle you like with a shorter warranty coupled to a well negotiated factory backed extended warranty then buying a car simply on its factory one.

Boy I think you're kinda screwed in Florida for warranties. I think you have to pay list price as you can't buy one from out of state. I think Ford sells extended warranties and they're pretty long, like 8 years 125k.

I like Mercede's CPO warranties, they come with 1 year but you can buy 2 extra years so you could get a 7 year unlimited miles warranty. 2014 E-350's are pretty cheap now, in the 25-30k range. Pretty massive depreciation on a 50-70k car.

We have a 2915 with the performance pack. Excellent chassis and balanced engine. Of the 370Z and Genesis it is clearly the real sports car.

Yeah, lifetime powertrain warranty if you pay their price to maintain it far too often than it needs.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
A Nissan dealedship is offering a lifetime drivetrain warranty on a used Honda?

You mean Mazda?

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
While down at nissan looking at a used cx-5 today they told me about their lifetime powertrain warranty which I didn't realize anyone was doing now a days.

This is probably a third party warranty offered by the dealership. A number of dealers do this, and it's mostly a sales tactic. They put a warranty on every vehicle that probably costs them $200 (because of the amount of policies they purchase), and they will often use that as justification for trying to get $1,000 more for the vehicle than the dealership down the street that doesn't offer that warranty.

The dealership typically does not back the warranty and does not administer the warranty. Any claims are done through the third party, and you often have to provide documentation of everything. I'm not saying they're always a bad thing -- but they're often not supported by the vehicle manufacturer or dealership, and there are drawbacks to that.

Lifetime warranties are often provided by the dealership. If so, don't give it a minutes consideration. I can't think of one dealership that previously offered "lifetime warranties" that, locally, are still in business or will honor anything. The local Dodge dealership is now BMW, the Ford dealer in West Palm, swapped to used cars only, a few went under, a few changed ownership. For example the "Bev Smith" Ford dealership is now Mullinax Ford, same people, same cars, same place. No more lifetime warranty.

It's bogus, I promise.

I've rented the Ecoboost Mustang with automatic many times. I've not driven the manual but I'd expect it to be a whole lot more fun than rental automatics! I have not driven the EB Mustang with performance pack either (but I have driven the V8 with performance pack, and I love it) . It's a pleasant car, with adequate power. The engine makes good mid range power, so there is no lack of power in normal driving. It's not a super high RPM engine, so you won't get the satisfaction of, say, an ultra high RPM 4 cylinder scream.

The EB Mustang really does require premium fuel, as both MPG and performance are significantly improved by higher octane. When I rent them, I always refill with premium, and am always rewarded with a nice boost in feel. Premium fuel does really improve the engine and makes it more "lively".

The one downside: Sadly, the EB engine does not sound "wonderful" to me. It's not particularly engaging in the sound and feel department. Might not matter to you, but I do enjoy something that is "fun". A louder exhaust maybe?

I find the Mustang fun to drive, and really enjoy long trips in it's comfy cabin. In fact, it's now one of my favorite cars for longer drives. Sporty, responsive, comfortable. Multiple times, I've taken them from NJ to VT and back.

But, as always, I really prefer the Mustang with the 5.0 V8, especially when winding it out.

Last edited:
How much space do you need in the car? It might be worth checking out a new Mazda MX-5. The engine doesn't look like much on paper but from the driver's seat it provides a ton of fun. My brother was dead set on a 5.0L Mustang but after driving the MX-5 he's on the fence. If you're okay with the styling and convertible aspect it would be worth a test drive.

For the 10+ grand you'd be saving ( pays for lots of gas!) Id look at a "gently used" 300HP modular stang. Add free flow good sounding you ready to rock and roll.

But me and fords don't get along. I find them too big and too disconnected.

How bout a gently used Bimmer M roadster?. Likely LOTS more fun - a whole nuther ball game. Reliability may be in question ... Don't know.
My 1998 M roadster was the best sports car ive driven which includes Porsche 911 (meh!) and series ii Jaguar E type 4.2. The Porsche 944 is a good driver.

I'm kind of interested in the V6 'stang, it sounds pretty good, and it should have a bit better throttle response than the ecoboost for autocross.

IMO, as much as I like the idea of the EB, I'd split the difference and go with the 3.7 V6.
Reliable, efficient (when driven normally) and a beautiful soundtrack...even with the stock setup.

Guy down the street has the black on black - turns my head and I still enjoy (had 3 stangs up to 2010 model) watching that turn signal before it zips away ...

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: bvance554
A Nissan dealedship is offering a lifetime drivetrain warranty on a used Honda?

You mean Mazda?

It was late...

Do yourself a favor and get the v6 model. It's cheaper, just as fast, almost identical mpg, and you don't have worry about the engine giving you issues down the road. 2.3 ecoboost isn't very reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back