1GR-FE Favorite OIl

1GR-FE was designed 15years ago for RWD light trucks, not exactly a high MPG package so to run ultra light grade motor oil seems well, abit foolish.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Couple questions: Has Toyota changed the clearances on the 1GR-FE, making them tighter, to run a 20W? Or, are they calling for a 20W just for economy?

Also, I know the newer versions of this engine have VVT-i on the exhaust cams as well. That brings up another question - could using a different viscosity than what is specified cause any issues with that dual VVT-i setup?

My understanding is that the only difference is the vvt on the exhaust. Pre-2010, this engine was spec'd 5w30, and after much reading of FJ forums there are a lot of guys post 2010 using 30 weights with no issues. Plus as mentioned, thicker oil is actually recommended in the manual. I've been unable to find any reference to clearances or oil drain hole sizes changing....so IMO it is for CAFE.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
How did the Wix hold up after two 7k intervals? I like the Wix but their website indicates 7500 miles (somewhere), and it is a cellulose media.

I have never seen a Wix tear or fall apart..... ever. EVER.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
at 135k my '06 runs, shifts and 4WD is all perfect uses zero oil..goes down the road like Sherman taking Atlanta. holding up real nice for a old machine, here's a 09/2017 pic with the winter wheels on..

Very nice! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Especially for 06

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Any votes for Schaeffers 0w-20?

Any votes for Amsoil 0w-30?

I am concerned about Mobil1 0w-20 or 0w-30 as Zn and P is lower with the Adv. Fuel Economy formulations.

Since I will change it once a year I am not too worried about price.

Anything from Mobil 1afe 0w20 to 0w40. Any quality brand of api SN oil is fine choose viscosity based on service.
I have 0w40in my 2018:and 0w20 in the 2017. Based on how they are used.

For those asking what changed with the oil recommendation, with the dual vvti versions..

New cooling jacket spacers in the head were to allow lower viscosity oils to perform in this engine this allowed better temperature control around the combustion chamber.

Also the bucket cam followers were replaced with roller followers that have hydraulic lash adjustment (no more mechanical valve adjustment needed.), there was also some optimization of the crankcase counterweights. The piston oil squirters, aluminum grooved crank and journal bearings remain. The configuration of the dual vvti made it neccesarily to move the oil filter location to the inconvenient location where skid plate removal is required to replace an oil filter.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
Any votes for Schaeffers 0w-20?

Any votes for Amsoil 0w-30?

I am concerned about Mobil1 0w-20 or 0w-30 as Zn and P is lower with the Adv. Fuel Economy formulations.

Since I will change it once a year I am not too worried about price.

Either Schaeffer or Amsoil are a great choice IMHO.

Not too crazy on M1.

What is your favorite oil for a Toyota 4.0 1GR-FE Engine?

I am looking at a 1 year/4000-8000 mile oil change interval.

For that engine, which is very popular in Australia, both Valvoline & Castrol say to use a 5W30 synthetic or a 10W30 semi-synthetic.

That is probably what I would do too.

We get a nice full synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W30 that is American API SN and Euro ACEA A3/B4. That is what I would probably use.

Originally Posted By: SR5
What is your favorite oil for a Toyota 4.0 1GR-FE Engine?

I am looking at a 1 year/4000-8000 mile oil change interval.

For that engine, which is very popular in Australia, both Valvoline & Castrol say to use a 5W30 synthetic or a 10W30 semi-synthetic.

That is probably what I would do too.

We get a nice full synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W30 that is American API SN and Euro ACEA A3/B4. That is what I would probably use.

Unfortunately the prevalence of ACEA a3 certified 30wts is limited in the USA.
Most easily available A3 lubes are in the 0w40 variety. The 5w30 Castrol Magnatec here is a resource conserving oil with lower additive levels.

Anyone running a 5w20 synblend with 5k OCI? Or is everyone sticking with "full" synthetic?

I've run various in my 2018 4Runner SR5P. In it now is M1 EP 5w30. Might switch to a 0w20 this winter. Might not. 93K on it now.

Here’s six month 6000-7000 gave me in my single VVT 4.0L Tacoma 117K. All M1 EP 5W30 which is what it calls for. Currently I’m using Amsoil SS 0W30 for 10K intervals.

Attachments

• 00BCB93E-954B-4718-B5AE-F102175108F3.jpeg
    00BCB93E-954B-4718-B5AE-F102175108F3.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 59
I’m kinda surprised here…. When I bought our used v6 3.5 Lexus, it was pretty noisy. It calls for 0-20 but Ive run 5-30 PUP in it and it’s done well with that. Walmart had a good sale here with M1 5-20 EP, so i figured I’d give that a run. It took the full 5 qt jug of 5-20, and needed another quart, which was 10-30 from the 2 jugs bought for the truck. It’s just as quiet, and is markedly holding higher gear/ lower rpm’s than before without a change in driving habits (I keep it in eco mode). For whatever reason, this particular combo seems to do well with M1 Ep 5-20. I’ve not used M1 in many years, but am liking how it’s working right now. May go back and get more while that sale is on.

These engines aren't picky about grade.

They'll run forever on anything.

I'm currently running M1 ESP 0W-30 that I got on sale for $29/5 qt over at AAP in my 07 Tacoma 1GR-FE "Gen 1" with over 250,000 miles (will run for around 8K, then check the level - it tends to be slightly low after that many miles), and M1-EP 10W-30 in my wife's 2021 4Runner (will run for 10K)

Back