Same Bearing Clearances but Different Oil Viscosity and OCI for 1GR-FE Engine

Toyota recommends 0W-20 with an OCI of 10K for a 2011 4Runner with a 1GR-FE engine.
Toyota recommends 5W-30 with an OCI of 5K for a 2010-2013 Tacoma with the 1GR-FE engine.

I looked up piston ring set, crankshaft, connecting rod and main bearing part numbers for the 2011 Tacoma. Most of those parts show "also fits 4Runner" or have the same part numbers. Only 1 out of 15 bearing sets has a different part number between the two vehicles. Both engines are dual VVTi. Oil capacity difference is 1.1 quarts for the 4x4 vehicles.

I'm wondering why a difference for the recommended OCI and viscosity. Any ideas?

What part was different?

And what exactly does "also fits" mean? It's original spec or not?

Maybe the service department will make more money with the 5K oil change interval?
Toyota issued a TSB that specifically calls out different oil viscosity and OCI for the 2010-2013 Tacoma with the 1GR-FE engine. All other vehicles with the 1GR-FE use a lower viscosity and double the OCI.

I haven't found published main and rod bearing clearances for the Tacoma and 4Runner. However, I found values for FJ Cruiser.

They have to specify the same oil they performed the fuel cafe mile tests with.
The Tacoma 1GR-FE was tested with 5W-30 while the 4Runner, FJ Cruiser were tested with 0W-20?
The 2010 Tundra is 5W-30 and the 2011-2013 Tundra is 0W-20.
Changing viscosity from one year to another doesn't appear to offer enough time for engine development and endurance testing.
Perhaps endurance testing included a range of oil viscosities and it took awhile for Toyota to fine tune engines towards 0W-20.

Last edited:
I believe 0W-20 by default is a synthetic oil; 5W-30 not necessarily so. That would explain the difference in OCI.
This makes sense for that time period. If I recall correctly, Toyota 0W-20 was a synthetic blend in those early years and has since transitioned to a full synthetic. I don't recall where I read that, therefore, I might be wrong.

Last edited:
In Australia the FJ Cruiser with 1GR-FE Eng., 4x4 (2011-2017), Toyota approve: 5W30, 10W30, 5W40, 10W40 and 15W40
I'm aware of this. I've wondered if 1GR-FE engines for Australia, UAE and Europe are built to larger clearances. Perhaps I can find part numbers to compare.

I'm aware of this. I've wondered if 1GR-FE engines for Australia, UAE and Europe are built to larger clearances. Perhaps I can find part numbers to compare.
Certainly now days they are fully imported from Japan, same as their local production. And why would you bother making a different design and production run (yet using the same part numbers) for such a small market like Australia? It doesn’t make economic sense. We have lots of full synthetic 0W20 here if that is the only thing that works.

Toyota recommends 0W-20 with an OCI of 10K for a 2011 4Runner with a 1GR-FE engine.
Toyota recommends 5W-30 with an OCI of 5K for a 2010-2013 Tacoma with the 1GR-FE engine.

I looked up piston ring set, crankshaft, connecting rod and main bearing part numbers for the 2011 Tacoma. Most of those parts show "also fits 4Runner" or have the same part numbers. Only 1 out of 15 bearing sets has a different part number between the two vehicles. Both engines are dual VVTi. Oil capacity difference is 1.1 quarts for the 4x4 vehicles.

I'm wondering why a difference for the recommended OCI and viscosity. Any ideas?
Heavy truck hauling or towing. Thin oil won't have the film strength to withstand the loads. I don't think VVT is all that affected by viscosity or if it is the system is idiotically designed. The fairly complex Dual CVVT functions exactly the same on my Accent whether I use 5w20 or 5w50.

The fairly complex Dual CVVT functions exactly the same on my Accent whether I use 5w20 or 5w50.
Yes, you're correct. A cam position sensor sends a signal to the ECU which relays a signal to another component that controls oil flow across the VVTi cam positioning hardware.

Heavy truck hauling or towing. Thin oil won't have the film strength to withstand the loads.
Might not have the film thickness either, which is the main factor to keep moving parts separated. Film strength only matters after parts have started rubbing together.

Might not have the film thickness either, which is the main factor to keep moving parts separated. Film strength only matters after parts have started rubbing together.
i would believe, if parts are rubbing together , there is no film

i would believe, if parts are rubbing together , there is no film
True ... but there is a difference between film thickness and film strength ... they are not the same thing.

1631754452190.jpg

Back