First oil change new (to me) Tundra 5.7

I am thrilled with my new to me 2018 Tundra 5.7. tomorrow I'm planning my first oil change.

Backstory, I still have my 2003 3.4 Tacoma (engine blew at 125k for no apparent reason) rebuilt a junk yard engine and now we are at 305k. I used PYB 5w30 for a long time in that truck and then switched to PP and sometimes high mileage PP always in 5w30.

A while back Walmart never had PP on the shelf and I used M1 high mileage (or some variation of M1) at times. I was very pleased with it. No oil consumption and seemed to be running great.

So anyway here I sit. Time to change the oil in my new to me Tundra. I bought a new motivX filter canister wrench and the motivX fancy funnel and a Toyota cartridge filter. Tomorrow morning I'm buying the oil (or buying online pickup in parking lot) at a big blue box store.

My gut is leaning towards buying M1 extended performance 0w20 which is the recommended weight. I'm sure PP in 0w-20 would be fantastic as well and it's a few dollars cheaper than M1. I need 2 jugs.

Any reason to pick one over the other besides the price? I'm sure either will meet expectations but it's my new truck and I want to go top shelf.

Can't wait to change the oil!

Thank you for reading,

It sounds like you're brimming with excitement about your new-to-you 2018 Tundra 5.7! Embarking on your first oil change is a significant milestone, and I can understand the importance you place on selecting the right oil.

You have a fascinating history with your 2003 3.4 Tacoma, an engine rebuild at 125k and hitting 305k after! Your experiences with Pennzoil (PYB & PP) and Mobil 1 (M1) certainly illustrate your attention to detail and commitment to optimal performance.

Now, as you prepare to service your Tundra, you're contemplating whether to opt for M1 Extended Performance 0w20, which is the recommended weight, or perhaps the slightly cheaper but still excellent PP in 0w-20. I agree, both are top-notch choices and should more than meet your expectations.

From a performance standpoint, both oils should deliver comparable results, offering superior wear protection, better temperature stability, and excellent performance in all conditions. The choice ultimately boils down to personal preference and perhaps past experiences.

Considering your satisfaction with M1 in the past—particularly its efficiency in curbing oil consumption and the overall great performance—it might be worth leaning into that. However, if budget considerations are significant, the PP is an equally good choice that could save you a few dollars without compromising on quality.

No matter what you decide, the excitement of servicing your new truck with top-quality products is undeniable. Can't wait to hear about your oil change experience!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Enjoy the process!

Nice truck

Unless you plan to extend the interval beyond 10k miles, the regular and/or Advanced Fuel Economy Mobil 1 would be suitable if you want to save a couple bucks.

Your joy with the new truck is palpable and nice to share with us, Tks. Either PP or M1 0w-20 will work but my choice would be QS Ultra Protection because it is equal to both at a better price.

Tundras are great trucks. I call it the best tool I have. Mine is a young 220K, or there abouts...
AJFCJaUQbf-HUmDHGoOxkZXmJT-G58SFvDrts6JbADmMCLqHKpZk7K-5ckxzk7dUR1EC0jCxMCrU0bimqkm_PRxDsfn39T2kidUR5IrWLqDoUtQf5qtAL_OJxo35hfGnTfWCUQOJXmWctQ6YC-6WN0th8fAD-EEiMU92SPEvQNdQywegIcNXYZguLS_VGVVIPhUHbfp7dMJNKIYKJuz7smH9NyOJw8QoQvKmdmBvKS8Bq9ZJ-rYFghmTx72zzk5ZXIUc-JE_zVpDQaziOZvNoITvrnh8Uj1DBb2qUKRfDptwaQ6_CEtzKxT4u6_MUdUXJ6r3A_Uol2yum-5n3xLHeM3h08KHMcBy8VaOJxz_7wYG3mBVl1ZaKul9uLmDj-8MwQ1vQfP_6ICvHxp7JakKnXM6ztsGcqJuDpokLJFYtn6GCwhvR_-wQfwk3N-x9lWBG2Xxpu8GcZiZmvDWXQydtm1JyCL0ZQFLeD9PzHVdq_MbeeOREJHDhN-BzurLCovk63e4vxW7g_N7KMQO-6AdC8_MTDpVk7XoqaP8Xef3Ug48XHv3iqHnddJ9dKNHelawau5jtmhe3dn3quQ9YnanfPeUIAApFVcRCH0DV_Cwg-6dnN5BX_5UIdcNsfK7rWX9r_lPiQuunFgo0nix77xOewgIjhhoxQjHPr0w_LLRRIG7cCEMi4xBOEXKUVKUo81o-f6xcRJS1dPSKLxy90gkUvA34wpBu9OVq6EV_aQvBCeMtsFYMut7to2ANPg2IlUgiw1zJnYyUm5_f0sXWdqjq7LEEYCnDUDifaRSNxdNOkUYm5lG6EMR2-4TRfhhUh6hAH3mkMLaWZaDdyTgTiwlbWSRbo1VvB8d5kpBSfjBqE1uAfCh8cQ3V3U3PKeJ7fdbc-aHQNX2N_x-xf2rQ5GrmZ3rNn-q8w=w1306-h980-s-no

The 5.7 is a great engine. Mine doesn’t use a drop of oil. Lots of gas, but no oil 😏

I’ve been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 since about 15,000 miles.

No difference in MPG.

The engine isn’t picky. Lots of good options for oil. Find what you can get at a reasonable price.

It being out of warranty and a great truck worth owning for the long run definitely service the trans and diff and bump to a 30 grade. For the trans just spill and fills every 30k and a filter on every 4 or 5th spill is fine. They don't clog really. For the coolant 7 years/70k is a decent rule for modern coolants. And for the brake fluid just sucking out what's in the reservoir and refilling every 2-3 years is fine.

Congrats on the new ride! I love my 2018 Tundra and have smiled all 172,000 miles. I run 5w30 in mine, I started doing that in attempt to band aid a weak timing chain tensioner. I did a timing job on it last week and changed all of that so its as quiet as a 5.7 gets now but I will continue running the 5w30 as it gives me a fuzzy feeling inside as opposed to the 0w20 in my hot climate.

Good call on the Motivx tools, the only other I would recommend is their filter drain tool. That combined with a Fumoto valve, I barely have to use a couple paper towels during changes now.

I am thrilled with my new to me 2018 Tundra 5.7. tomorrow I'm planning my first oil change.

Backstory, I still have my 2003 3.4 Tacoma (engine blew at 125k for no apparent reason) rebuilt a junk yard engine and now we are at 305k. I used PYB 5w30 for a long time in that truck and then switched to PP and sometimes high mileage PP always in 5w30.

A while back Walmart never had PP on the shelf and I used M1 high mileage (or some variation of M1) at times. I was very pleased with it. No oil consumption and seemed to be running great.

So anyway here I sit. Time to change the oil in my new to me Tundra. I bought a new motivX filter canister wrench and the motivX fancy funnel and a Toyota cartridge filter. Tomorrow morning I'm buying the oil (or buying online pickup in parking lot) at a big blue box store.

My gut is leaning towards buying M1 extended performance 0w20 which is the recommended weight. I'm sure PP in 0w-20 would be fantastic as well and it's a few dollars cheaper than M1. I need 2 jugs.

Any reason to pick one over the other besides the price? I'm sure either will meet expectations but it's my new truck and I want to go top shelf.

Can't wait to change the oil!

Thank you for reading,
Changing the oil on a Tundra is a potential mess as the oil blasts basicly sideways out of the oil pan all over the pass tire .I own a 17 been there made that mess once. Plus have to remove the pita splash/tin skid plate to get to the filter ,thats always fun.Definitely NOT my fav vehicle ive owed to change the oil on.

Congrats on the new ride! I love my 2018 Tundra and have smiled all 172,000 miles. I run 5w30 in mine, I started doing that in attempt to band aid a weak timing chain tensioner. I did a timing job on it last week and changed all of that so its as quiet as a 5.7 gets now but I will continue running the 5w30 as it gives me a fuzzy feeling inside as opposed to the 0w20 in my hot climate.

Good call on the Motivx tools, the only other I would recommend is their filter drain tool. That combined with a Fumoto valve, I barely have to use a couple paper towels during changes now.
Yeah, the oil rushes out sideways from nearly two feet up. Huge mess. If the wind is blowing at all, it sprays everywhere. I went with a Fumoto just to have the hose option!

172,000? You drive quite a bit!

I’ve only got about 65,000 on mine.

For your transfer case oil change, which takes about 1.6 quarts, your oil options are insanely priced Toyota 75W at $80/quart, Ravenol 75W at $20/quart, or, my recommendation; HPL 75W at $16/quart.

It’s not listed here, but if you call them, they’ve got it.

Don’t forget the BITOG15 discount code for 15% off.

The transfer case drain plug is a pain, you’ll have to remove a small protective plate. It’s a square drive NPT, so it seals on the threads. I used a couple wraps of blue Teflon tape. I’ve got pipe plug sockets, but I think you can use a 3/8” extension.

The transmission can be flushed using the cooler line. Pin the thermostat open, disconnect the return line from the cooler, idle, refill, repeat until clear. You’ll need a way to refill from the side of the transmission. Total PITA.

I have a pressurized bottle, like this, that I fill with WS ATF (I used AMSOIL, next fill will be HPL green).

Probably worth doing a pan drop and filter change, too.

Differentials are easy. 75W90. About 7 quarts needed for front and rear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

Stay tuned, I bought the motivX canister drain tool seen below. I'm going to wait a few more days to change the oil.

How many of you would stick with 0w-20 and who would go with 5w-30?

Thank you all again.

Screenshot_20230518_232626_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Back