M1-212a torn C&P

So some extent, I believe we have filter tears due to longer running time on them. Even the beloved *cough cough* 820S, Ive never had a tear(as far as I know) but they have known to tear. I cut filters open all the time now because of this website. I honestly wonder how many tears are in every brand that is out there.

Regardless, thats still not great to see. I'm sure your even is fine but defeats the purpose of an oil filter.

So some extent, I believe we have filter tears due to longer running time on them.
Run time and filter loading (increased dP), and certainly operating conditions like high revs in cold weather before the oil warms up which also created higher dP, can be a factor.

Back when the Purolators were tearing all over the place, some members here showed torn pleats on filters with less than 1000 miles on them, even a few with just a few hundred miles IIRC. If a filter is going to tear due to the media having wide pleat spacing and brittle media, it's most likely going to tear the first few times the vehicle is driven.

Too much restriction from the louvers.
Closed down louvers would cause more dP across the center tube itself, not across the media. There is a separate dP across the media and a separate dP across the center tube.

A higher dP across the center tube doesn't mean there is a higher dP across the media. Closed louvers causing a higher dP can put the filter into bypass, but it doesn't effect the actual dP across the media. The oil flow volume and the oil viscosity is what determines the dP across the media, independently of the dP caused by that same flow and viscosity through the center tube. The dP across the media + the dP across the center tube is the dP the bypass valve sees.

So it appears.

For this reason I've abandoned any plan with any filter that involves long FCI.

No matter how long of an OCI I use, I'm changing filters every 5K miles regardless of the brand or cost of the filter.

And since higher cost doesn't seem to be a predictor of a lower tear frequency, I guess the only plan that makes sense is to get the cheapest filters I can find for those short FCI's.
Hi Jim,
I like your plan. The Fram Xtra Guards are rated at 10k miles so you'll get a 2X safety factor, 95% at 20 microns performance and $4.12 at WalMart. ($.82/1,000 miles of filtration.)
Fram is going through some changes on the Xtra Guards. They replaced the louvered metal center cores with the nylon cage which I welcome because the louvers are very tough to determine if they've been stamped correctly. They also replaced the silicone anti-drain back with nitrile which will work fine for a 5K FCI.
Fram is in the middle of switching over stock so your local store may have a mix of both on the shelf.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,
I like your plan.
Thanks!

The Fram Xtra Guards are rated at 10k miles so you'll get a 2X safety factor, 95% at 20 microns performance and $4.12 at WalMart. ($.82/1,000 miles of filtration.)
Yes-- I think that the EG's are a great value filter. At first, I wasn't considering them because they have lower filtering efficiency than many of its neighbors at the top on your (awesome!) spreadsheet.

Then, I found that @ZeeOSix says he defines "...high efficiency as any oil filter with 95% @ 20u efficiency or better. That would also equate to around 99% @ 25u or better."

Though I know that @dnewton3 has a different take on the importance of these efficiencies, that fact that the EG makes ZeeOSix's cut means that it's kind of an ideal filter for me.

If the Ecogards hadn't been on a big sale last week, I would have bought the EG's.

Fram is going through some changes on the Xtra Guards. They replaced the louvered metal center cores with the nylon cage which I welcome because the louvers are very tough to determine if they've been stamped correctly. They also replaced the silicone anti-drain back with nitrile which will work fine for a 5K FCI.
Fram is in the middle of switching over stock so your local store may have a mix of both on the shelf.
I saw that change and am really interested to see what the verdict is in the re-designed EG's once people get their hands on them. Hope that the changes enable FB to keep the prices low with no loss of performance!

And thank you so much for your filter spreadsheet. I have practically lived in that thing for the past couple of months. What a great service to this community!

Back