M1-212a torn C&P

BrendanC

$100 site donor 2024
2021 silverado 2500hd 6.6 L8T
5950 miles in service
filter tore next to the glued seam

out/off: 8 quarts Mobil 1 EP HM 5w-30 with Mobil 1 M1-212a

in/on: 8 quarts Valvoline EP HM 5w-30 with carquest premium 85402 (PG with silicone gasket)

IMG_5752.jpeg

IMG_5753.jpeg

IMG_5754.jpeg

IMG_5755.jpeg

IMG_5756.jpeg

IMG_5757.jpeg

IMG_5758.jpeg

IMG_5761.jpeg

IMG_5763.jpeg

Tears in media ...
No one is immune.
So it appears.

For this reason I've abandoned any plan with any filter that involves long FCI.

No matter how long of an OCI I use, I'm changing filters every 5K miles regardless of the brand or cost of the filter.

And since higher cost doesn't seem to be a predictor of a lower tear frequency, I guess the only plan that makes sense is to get the cheapest filters I can find for those short FCI's.

So it appears.

For this reason I've abandoned any plan with any filter that involves long FCI.

No matter how long of an OCI I use, I'm changing filters every 5K miles regardless of the brand or cost of the filter.

And since higher cost doesn't seem to be a predictor of a lower tear frequency, I guess the only plan that makes sense is to get the cheapest filters I can find for those short FCI's.
or a metal backed filter. fram endurance or if you can find OG wire backed ultras/titaniums

Agreed; I'd love to see the date code. M1 filters haven't often been shown to tear, when folks have posted C&Ps.

Curious as to when it was made, it's one of the Puro Tearolators we saw so much of a few years ago.

The Carquest Premium was a great replacement choice, Premium Guard seems to be a safe bet these days.

or a metal backed filter. fram endurance or if you can find OG wire backed ultras/titaniums

True in principle, but I'm not sure I trust Fram to not have a big section missing out of any filter they make (as was the case with that recent TG).

With all of the recent consolidation of brands and the concomitant reduction in quality control that has been documented here, I just don't have a huge amount of trust in any filter, regardless of cost.

So, I think I'm going to "go cheap and change often" as a hedge against the risk of a badly made filter. Fortunately, some of the cheaper options have a decent record of quality, so I think (hope?) the hedge contained in my plan is a valid.

True in principle, but I'm not sure I trust Fram to not have a big section missing out of any filter they make (as was the case with that recent TG).

With all of the recent consolidation of brands and the concomitant reduction in quality control that has been documented here, I just don't have a huge amount of trust in any filter, regardless of cost.

So, I think I'm going to "go cheap and change often" as a hedge against the risk of a badly made filter. Fortunately, some of the cheaper options have a decent record of quality, so I think (hope?) the hedge contained in my plan is a valid.
good thing fram doesn’t make the endurance then ;). we haven’t seen anything to show that the endurance isn’t a quality filter. if amsoil will slap their name on the same filter id call it a decent filter.

good thing fram doesn’t make the endurance then ;). we haven’t seen anything to show that the endurance isn’t a quality filter. if amsoil will slap their name on the same filter id call it a decent filter

Maybe I don't have this all straight, but doesn't Champion Labs make the Endurance, and they are under the First Brands family (that includes Fram)?

If so, I guess I didn't word that optimally, but the sentiment is the same as it seems like whenever there is consolidation the quality cuts are soon to follow.

However, I do agree that Champ filters seem good and further agree that there is no evidence the Endurance has any problems... yet!

Seems to be constant change in filter quality, can never count on any brand being good for long. One by one, it seems that every brand has (or will) hit the skids...

That TG that had a chunk taken out, was a 10 year old filter.

good thing fram doesn’t make the endurance then ;). we haven’t seen anything to show that the endurance isn’t a quality filter. if amsoil will slap their name on the same filter id call it a decent filter.

Looks like a Purolator tear to me. That tear is very small and shouldn't have affected the engine in any way. I would be reluctanct to run those for longer intervals.

That TG that had a chunk taken out, was a 10 year old filter.

I was the one that brought up that TG. Old or new, it was only used for 6K miles and had a big section missing, apparently from the time of manufacture.

Scary! (At least to me...)

Most of the tears I have seen occur when the pleats are spaced out near the seam. This one doesn't seem to have that as the issue.

I will be cutting open filters from 8-10K miles from two of my cars in their next oil changes, and if either are torn, yeah I think I'd go back to just using a cheaper OCOD for a shorter FCI.

Looks like a Purolator tear to me. That tear is very small and shouldn't have affected the engine in any way. I would be reluctanct to run those for longer intervals.

Most of the tears I have seen occur when the pleats are spaced out near the seam. This one doesn't seem to have that as the issue.
It actually is the pleat that's next to the seam pleat. It's spaced enough to tear if the media is brittle and tears easily - you can see the whole pleat was trying to fold over flat from the oil flow dP across it. How flexible and resistant to tearing the media is also a has a factor in the tearing equation.

This filter is obviously made by Purolator.

Interesting. If this post is correct, I can't make heads or tails out of that code.
As already pointed out, it's a Purolator date code because it's a Purolator made filter.

How to read date codes for those who don't know or haven't seen this sticky thread at the top of the Oil Filter forum.

Back