10w30 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Haven't bought a Mobil oil product in over a decade!

And yet, the M1, 10W-30 clearly outperforms the others in the cold temperature pour test.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Haven't bought a Mobil oil product in over a decade!

And yet, the M1, 10W-30 clearly outperforms the others in the cold temperature pour test.

Other 10W-30s?

IDK about the examples you chose, but if there was a Castrol Edge 0w30 with absolutely no VMs, it might not be a 0w anymore, and whatever the cold rating would be for that 0w30 sans the VMs would be of no concern to me if it met the HTHS and KV on base oil alone. The quality of a 10w30 synthetic depends entirely on the blender. Some prefer to use straight synthetic high VI bases and some choose to cheap out on the bases vs the rest of the synthetic line, still resorting to high VM content in low quality base oil for narrow spread grades. Which road the blender takes makes all the difference.

As Overkill indicated, I am being a bit more nuanced than that. There certainly are 10w-30 options available that may be VII free and blenders have various options. However, you're not going to find that in an ordinary, on the shelf 10w-30 SN/GF-5. Yes, Amsoil and Red Line can make some pretty impressive offerings, but the average 10w-30 user out there (and on the board) isn't running those options, and the latter, especially, does not follow SN/GF-5 type viscometrics.

While an ordinary 10w-30 SN/GF-5 is perfectly suited for most of North America year round, that's not really the point. If a vehicle specifies a 5w-30 SN/GF-5, and I have misgivings about a 5w-30 SN/GF-5, I'm not sure how a 10w-30 SN/GF-5 alleviates any perceived problem. If there is some misgiving, real or perceived, an A3/B4 option or an HDEO would be the first things that spring to mind. In North America, we're not going to find a 10w-30 A3/B4 anyhow (we find at least one A3/B3, though), so if you're going by way of A3/B4, you're going to be getting a premium synthetic. As I noted, I can't think of many scenarios where I'd want Edge 10w-30 SN/GF-5 over Edge 0w-30 A3/B4. I also cannot see a lot of benefit of a 10w-30 SN/GF-5 synthetic versus a 5w-30 SN/GF-5 A5/B5 synthetic. What possible hair splitting benefit would we really be getting? I don't see a lot of point in playing musical bottles between different 3.0 HTHS ILSAC synthetics. I can't think of a lot of applications, either, where a 10w-30 ILSAC would be called for and a 5w-30 ILSAC would be somehow unsuitable.

Garak, you don't play musical bottles? You know when you wave your open hand along the oil shelf as the music plays, then grab the closest bottle when a PA comes on? Lots of fun and scares other shoppers. Last time I wound up with Bar and Chain oil..
laugh.gif

But seriously, it isn't supposed to be complicated. All I'd like to do is deduce, using accessible data, which grades (from any product tier) on the shelf are likely least-adulterated by acrylics and other VM polymers. That's my part-time campaign.

Also this illustrious nuance must be escaping me, fellas. Why are we comparing Edge 0w30 A3 blended to A3/LL01 against Edge 10w30 RC blended to basic GF-5, just because they (barely) share a J300 SAE30 rating? They're built to completely different specifications. When we compare synthetic ILSAC to ILSAC, I'm likely going to prefer the narrower spread SAE mulitigrade trying to avoid plastic adulterants. It's fallacious to put ACEA specs and individual manufacturer specs (Dexos,BMW LL,MB) against an entirely different mandate like ILSAC, especially when you have to leave intermediate products in same product lineup unmentioned between the chosen competitors, like the Edge 0w30 A5, which just illustrates how far apart a 0w30 A3 PAO blend and ILSAC hydrocracked 10w30 are.

SoJ reiterated a notable point, that blenders are not going to build a product much beyond the necessary limits just 'for extra credit'. Mobil and Castrol don't want to use 50+% PAO in their A3 and LL certified products if they didn't have to, but are invariably strong armed into doing so by long-life specs, nevermind the kum bah yah hysteria about Mobil AP- being a copycat Euro LL/ACEA oil marketed to North Americans who don't know any better and who's vehicles don't spec LL oils. AP is an oil that would get lost on the shelf in Europe, where these types of oils saturate the market. Again, fallaciously comparing AP to other basic ILSAC oils which were never intended for long-drains is not useful discourse at all.

PAOs are not lubricity superstars, in fact lubricity is one of PAOs weaknesses--they're not choosing PAO for it's inherent lubricity, that's for certain, just long-term oxidation stability, natural VI and pour point. As mentioned PAO blending can allow essentially no PPDs, I'd imagine, but in such a case they're definitely NOT polymer-free. Does anyone really think that ~12.5cSt@100C 0w30 starts with a ~12.5cSt@100C base oil blend?
lol.gif
PAO base blends will allow greater viscosity spread with less VII than a comparable refined mineral-based blend, but the PAO blend products can easily have more VII than a more Newtonian ILSAC synthetic 10w30 (for example). Also, bear in mind that the remainder of high-PAO blends are still Hydrogenated/cracked GrIII according to M/SDS. If PAO has no downside, why not all PAO (or other dry base) engine oils? Too expensive only to wind up with an oil too dry and heavily dependent on solubility enhancers and boundary lubrication regimes? Equilibrium, my friend. Everything is a compromise, downsides can be squeezed off a spec sheet, but never forget that they still lurk and there are no free-rides.

And just to get this point out of the way, yes optimizing VII molecular weights and types used can really show great HTHSV @150C, yet fact remains that until a day comes where ringpacks in engines don't even get a stain of varnish, I'll still prefer a lack of big nasty heavy viscosity-building plastic molecules, even in expensive synthetic bases. So that probably answers your question about why anyone would choose an ILSAC 10w30 vs an ILSAC 5w30- the 'unsuitability' would be along the lines of "but the 10w30 has more oil and less VM". When I don't want 5W start up viscosity and want a nice clean, more Newtonian oil, heavy molecule VMs are only getting in the way.

My dream oil for excluding polar conditions would be something of a nice light A5, like an ILSAC 10w30 with high quality synthetic bases and no VII. 10w30 is a great SAE grade to blend such a possible all-base, no-VM product. 20w30 would be even better, without resorting to VMs, instead biasing to the heavier stocks. Straight oil blends get me excited, especially those made with higher inherent lubricity and stronger film strength base oils- just give it to me straight!

Also this illustrious nuance must be escaping me, fellas. Why are we comparing Edge 0w30 A3 blended to A3/LL01 against Edge 10w30 RC blended to basic GF-5, just because they (barely) share a J300 SAE30 rating? They're built to completely different specifications.

That's exactly the point. They are built to two entirely specifications, which makes shopping on the number in front of the W as a way to get less polymer not as cut and dry as you are implying.

When we compare synthetic ILSAC to ILSAC, I'm likely going to prefer the narrower spread SAE mulitigrade trying to avoid plastic adulterants. It's fallacious to put ACEA specs and individual manufacturer specs (Dexos,BMW LL,MB) against an entirely different mandate like ILSAC, especially when you have to leave intermediate products in same product lineup unmentioned between the chosen competitors, like the Edge 0w30 A5, which just illustrates how far apart a 0w30 A3 PAO blend and ILSAC hydrocracked 10w30 are.

But that's based on the assumption that they are just going to use less VII in the narrower spread. That's also fallacious. Let's look at Mobil 1's product lineup for a second:

M1 5w-30 has 20-30% PAO in it according to the MSDS
M1 10w-30 has 10-20% PAO in it according to the MSDS

One could posit that they simply used more PAO for the 5w-30 to get the low temp performance and both oils may have the same or very similar VII treatments.

SoJ reiterated a notable point, that blenders are not going to build a product much beyond the necessary limits just 'for extra credit'. Mobil and Castrol don't want to use 50+% PAO in their A3 and LL certified products if they didn't have to, but are invariably strong armed into doing so by long-life specs, nevermind the kum bah yah hysteria about Mobil AP- being a copycat Euro LL/ACEA oil marketed to North Americans who don't know any better and who's vehicles don't spec LL oils. AP is an oil that would get lost on the shelf in Europe, where these types of oils saturate the market. Again, fallaciously comparing AP to other basic ILSAC oils which were never intended for long-drains is not useful discourse at all.

Then what about EP or AFE? It isn't like AP is the only product line in which they use PAO, and the AP product portfolio doesn't have any significant ACEA or Euro certifications, so I'm failing to see your point here? But you are making mine, which is that if you shop for a product that is highly certified, you end up with one that is forced to be blended to a higher quality standard, like the 0w-30 we've already talked about.

PAOs are not lubricity superstars, in fact lubricity is one of PAOs weaknesses--they're not choosing PAO for it's inherent lubricity, that's for certain, just long-term oxidation stability, natural VI and pour point. As mentioned PAO blending can allow essentially no PPDs, I'd imagine, but in such a case they're definitely NOT polymer-free. Does anyone really think that ~12.5cSt@100C 0w30 starts with a ~12.5cSt@100C base oil blend?
lol.gif
PAO base blends will allow greater viscosity spread with less VII than a comparable refined mineral-based blend, but the PAO blend products can easily have more VII than a more Newtonian ILSAC synthetic 10w30 (for example).

A 10w-30 blended with no VII's ends up with an HTHS of around 3.5cP. An ILSAC 10w-30 is nowhere near that, ergo, they contain a good dose of VII and a lighter base blend, I think you are reaching a bit here. AMSOIL's HD 10w-30/SAE 30 for example, has an HTHS of 3.6cP with a KV100 of 11.3cSt.

PAO is used because of its natural ability (no wax) to hit CCS and MRV targets for low temp performance as well as, as you've indicated, oxidative stability. You still have to blend it with something else, and that can be a POE, AN or Group III, or a blend of those things, in order to hit your performance target. Nobody has said that a PAO-blend is necessarily polymer-free (though the AMSOIL example above is), simply that you need less of it with a PAO blend because you can be closer to your target visc out the gate as the low temp performance is already far better than with other bases.

Also, bear in mind that the remainder of high-PAO blends are still Hydrogenated/cracked GrIII according to M/SDS.

I assume you mean Mobil's MSDS's, as they are the only ones that have been helpful in this regard. What about Redline? AMSOIL? You think they are using a ton of Group III or something else? This is quite the rabbit hole.

If PAO has no downside, why not all PAO (or other dry base) engine oils? Too expensive only to wind up with an oil too dry and heavily dependent on solubility enhancers and boundary lubrication regimes? Equilibrium, my friend. Everything is a compromise, downsides can be squeezed off a spec sheet, but never forget that they still lurk and there are no free-rides.

Perhaps ask Redline or AMSOIL, both who claim to blend significant majority PAO-based products? M1 EP 0w-20 is definitely majority PAO by a rather wide margin (60-70% according to the MSDS) and that data sheet shows no hydrocracked base as an ancillary, do you subsequently assume that it's there and just not mentioned or do you perhaps think they used some AN or POE as an additive carrier instead?

And just to get this point out of the way, yes optimizing VII molecular weights and types used can really show great HTHSV @150C, yet fact remains that until a day comes where ringpacks in engines don't even get a stain of varnish, I'll still prefer a lack of big nasty heavy viscosity-building plastic molecules, even in expensive synthetic bases. So that probably answers your question about why anyone would choose an ILSAC 10w30 vs an ILSAC 5w30- the 'unsuitability' would be along the lines of "but the 10w30 has more oil and less VM". When I don't want 5W start up viscosity and want a nice clean, more Newtonian oil, heavy molecule VMs are only getting in the way. My dream oil for excluding polar conditions would be something of a nice light A5, like an ILSAC 10w30 with high quality synthetic bases and no VII. 10w30 is a great SAE grade to blend such a possible all-base, no-VM product.

But given my Mobil examples above, that seems like a rather bold assumption on your part, no? The fact that you are looking at ILSAC 10w-30's means you are almost assuredly looking at products with VII's in them, as a 10w-30 that's blended with straight base oil will tend to have an HTHS much higher than the ILSAC grades, or have you not considered that?

Mobil 1 10w-30 has a KV100 of 10.1cSt and a HTHS of 3.0cP. We can assume they use VII's in that formula. AMSOIL's HD 30/10w-30 has a KV 100 only a bit higher at 11.3cSt, yet an HTHS of 3.6cP. I believe it was Shannow who posted about the SAE 30's in days of yore having an HTHS at around the 3.5cP mark as standard due to their lack of VII's.

Maybe SoJ can chime in on the HTHS range of 10w-30's blended without VII's, as that information seems a bit sparse and not easy to calculate.

20w30 would be even better, without resorting to VMs, instead biasing to the heavier stocks. Straight oil blends get me excited, especially those made with higher inherent lubricity and stronger film strength base oils- just give it to me straight!

You thinking like Group II stuff here? Mixing SpectraSyn 10 at 93% and 4 at 7% yields a 9.35 (just on the edge of the 30 weight range) that should be able to satisfy the 5w-xx designation
grin.gif
but that of course uses your maligned PAO base
wink.gif

We don't know who's using what in their blends, beyond one or two major components gleaned from Safety Data Sheets

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
But that's based on the assumption that they are just going to use less VII in the narrower spread.

In most cases of ILSAC 5W vs 10W I've seen it appears to be the case. When comparing published data like density, NOACK and VI, it strongly suggests that many normal 10Ws are indeed straighter, heavier-base blends with less VII dependence than the 5Ws. It's too bad Mobil doesn't share NOACK results, not to suggest they'd be poor quite the contrary. I'd just like to see how each Mobil grade stacks up to each other for insight to how they're built, though admittedly, I'm not very interested in how XOM does things.

M1 5w-30 has 20-30% PAO in it according to the MSDS
M1 10w-30 has 10-20% PAO in it according to the MSDS

One could posit that they simply used more PAO for the 5w-30 to get the low temp performance and both oils may have the same or very similar VII treatments.

Sure thing, so we agree that they achieve VI by increasing PAO use while while not exceeding a limit of VII. Surely blenders must have a limit on the amount of artificial viscosity they'll use in any blend, you know, for stability (and liability) reasons.

Then what about EP or AFE? It isn't like AP is the only product line in which they use PAO, and the AP product portfolio doesn't have any significant ACEA or Euro certifications, so I'm failing to see your point here?

PAO is everywhere. It's an important and staple building block, No argument. Just more of it =/= more robust wear protection and therefore =/= an absolutely better finished product.

About the AP, it's clearly a long drain oil and as such (apparently) shares a blending strategy in common with Euro ACEA and LL oils given it's higher PAO content. Oxidation and viscosity retention are obv. top priorities there. That's why I called it a copycat Euro LL oil, because by all accounts it is- like EP but with a gimmick attached. The dumb thing is that it's targeted to North American consumers who's vehicles don't require OEM spec'ed long-drains and who are unaware of existing manufacturer-certified LL oils. But the "once a year" thing is really simple to understand, easy to remember and apparently more convenient. Personally, if I wanted LL I'll go ACEA or manufacturer spec.

if you shop for a product that is highly certified, you end up with one that is forced to be blended to a higher quality standard, like the 0w-30 we've already talked about.

True that. The said specs yeild much higher quality oil in many very desirable categories indeed, but is PAO's film strength and HDL performance one of them? How would more PAO and/or GrIII contribute to the quality of hydrodynamic lubrication vs more Gr I, II and/or V

An ILSAC 10w-30 is nowhere near that, ergo, they contain a good dose of VII and a lighter base blend,

Lighter base blend than a SAE30, no doubt but most likely a heavier base blend than the 5w30 and less VII. When you consider the data points mentioned above (density, NOACK, VI, KV) on various lines, The 5w20 and 10w30 appear to be the straightest vs the 0Ws and the 5w30. Check Petro-Canada's TDS for eg. with their hydroisomeric based blends, and the data strongly suggests heavier but straighter blends on the narrow spread products.

But given my Mobil examples above, that seems like a rather bold assumption on your part, no? The fact that you are looking at ILSAC 10w-30's means you are almost assuredly looking at products with VII's in them, as a 10w-30 that's blended with straight base oil will tend to have an HTHS much higher than the ILSAC grades, or have you not considered that?

We don't know if we can correlate HTHSV to VII polymer usage. I personally have not seen much data regarding the natural HTHSV of the various base oils and blend ratios, so can't say much to what the HTHSV 150 for the various possible blends of VII-free 10W30 would exactly be. The bulk of HTHSV testing undoubtedly happens on finished products.
I can say one thing for sure: Shame on any chemist and blender who's 10W30 contains more VI polymer than it's identical 5W30 counterpart. (and so I doubt many could be offended by that statement
wink.gif
)

I think you are reaching a bit here. AMSOIL's HD 10w-30/SAE 30 for example, has an HTHS of 3.6cP with a KV100 of 11.3cSt.

Hey, I could just forget everything and go grab some Redline Ester-based Motorcycle oil for the most extreme protection and call it a day.
happy2.gif
But that's neither practical or economical.
btw I love the characteristics of esters if my handle is any indication. PAO-ester blends are fantastic and synergistic but too much PAO, with only 'additive-levels' of ester content are not so hot IMO.

PAO is used because of its natural ability (no wax) to hit CCS and MRV targets for low temp performance as well as, as you've indicated, oxidative stability.

No doubt and no argument. It's clean, molecularly-tailored, uniform, stable and wax free but it's absolutely not the best lubricating fluid.

You still have to blend it with something else, and that can be a POE, AN or Group III, or a blend of those things, in order to hit your performance target. Nobody has said that a PAO-blend is necessarily polymer-free (though the AMSOIL example above is), simply that you need less of it with a PAO blend because you can be closer to your target visc out the gate as the low temp performance is already far better than with other bases.

Absolutely. Saturated, non-polar bases are good, clean stable 'filler' (IMO), but the real superstar components are the additives used to make dry base oil useful. The solubility improvers, GrV fluids used as SIs and FMs, plus dispersants are the only thing keeping additives and contaminants in solution, the PAO/GrIII isn't doing a darn thing here besides taking up space (which too is an important job!). Quality hydrodynamic lubrication suffers from PAO/GrIII content, and also from VII content. Those two ingredients are absolutely critical for meeting specific viscosmetrics, but are poor hydrodynamic lubricants relative to other base types and compensating additives.

I assume you mean Mobil's MSDS's, as they are the only ones that have been helpful in this regard. What about Redline? AMSOIL? You think they are using a ton of Group III or something else? This is quite the rabbit hole.

The Castrol SDS for the 0w30 A3 showed ~50% PAO. Even your Mobil example at ~65% for their highest spec'ed blends leaves a lot of room and I doubt it's all expensive ester additives, instead probably GrIII, AN and ester etc, but that's just my consumer-grade speculation. (Our whole discussion is consumer-grade
lol.gif
)

You thinking like Group II stuff here? Mixing SpectraSyn 10 at 93% and 4 at 7% yields a 9.35 (just on the edge of the 30 weight range) that should be able to satisfy the 5w-xx designation grin but that of course uses your maligned PAO base

Got no problem with GrII. I'd happily run straight GrII blended oils in car engines @ appropriate service intervals, heavy industry has sure relied on them for decades with excellent HDL and wear protection. Also, it's not 'maligning'. PAO is a building block; a tool and I'm just highlighting the fact that it's not a panacea and not without weaknesses. More of it doesn't mean better lubrication.

Fair?

Yeah I totally agree SR5. Those two members both hit a grand slam here. Exceptionally well done indeed guys.

But seriously, it isn't supposed to be complicated. All I'd like to do is deduce, using accessible data, which grades (from any product tier) on the shelf are likely least-adulterated by acrylics and other VM polymers. That's my part-time campaign.

For me, part of that decision is based upon what price I'm willing to pay. Now, I'm not totally against 10w-30 at all. I'm just aware of its limitations in this climate. Part of fine tuning an oil choice, as we're kind of talking about here, is that one will need to compare oils with differing specifications. As Overkill noted, you're not going to find a 10w-30 ILSAC without VIIs. You ask about a 20w-30. In that regard, you could probably simply buy a monograde. A modern monograde might pass a high multigrade "w" number.

As I already mentioned, if I have an issue with Castrol Edge 5w-30 SN/GF-5, worrying about VII content or low HTHS, the answer isn't going to be found in the Edge 10w-30 SN/GF-5 bottle. I'll be looking at their 5w-30 A3/B4, 0w-30 A3/B4, 0w-40 A3/B4, or their HDEO lines. When I buy oil, pricing tiers are important, too, and you know what you'll see at Canadian Tire. Let's imagine I'm buying oil there and I'm not satisfied with Castrol Edge 5w-30 SN/GF-5. I'm not sure about the HTHS or VII content or maybe even the additive levels. Castrol Edge 0w-30 A3/B4 in a one litre is the same price as Castrol Edge 10w-30 SN/GF-5. I really don't see the attraction in grabbing the 10w-30 when there's a product with superior base stocks, higher additive levels, ACEA specs and builder approvals, and elevated HTHS for the same price. As a bonus, I get a product I know I can use all year here, no matter how bad of a cold snap we get.

Now, finding oils without any VM content is going to be problematic, and won't be solved by grabbing for the 10w-30 ILSAC product off the shelf. Note that I do use 10w-30 on occasion. However, that's generally been over a sale I couldn't pass up, with other options sold out. If I were to consider a 5w-30 ILSAC as not doing the job in conventional and wanted to stick to the conventional price point, a 10w-30 HDEO may be my first choice. You point out the Petro-Canada numbers, and yes, they are instructive. Of course, if I were running a fleet of taxis again, I'd have no problem with running 10w-30 ILSAC Petro-Canada year round in them, and it would be conventional. In that case, though, I'm not trying to fine tune an oil choice as much as I would be to get something completely suitable at a good price point.

If you want no VM content, your best option is move to Arizona and run SAE 30 all year.
wink.gif

Hey Garak, I was in Canadian Tire and decided to check out the prices- $13.49 a liter for Castrol Syntec, $13.99 a liter for M1 ... over $50 dollars for 4.4L jugs
shocked2.gif
That place is nuts.

Anyway, I do get the logic that you put forth believe me. It was all about stocking up on GC when it was still GC. Back then, it was 'Mr.Clean' neon coloured and smelled like gummy bears, remember that? The Elves and the enchanted forests and stuff?
lol.gif
That was the same time that we were also cashing in on Esso XD-3 PAO 0W40. They were the epitome of 'cost-retail' value at the time. I think it was 20? bucks for a 4L jug of XD-3 PAO back then! Honestly though, for a track day on a high RPM machine, I still well might prefer the Syntec 10W30- it's more Newtonian and almost assuredly has less VII than the 0W30. Things have changed a lot, and so too have my oil decisions. Neither GC or XD-3 exist anymore
frown.gif
(inb4 recommending Delvac)
11.gif

To make matters worse, at CT, the 1 litre specials are much less common, which makes things like the current GC 0w-30 or the Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 a lot harder to swallow. Of course, I prefer to choose something I can and will run all year without the seasonal change going on.

The real hit we get, if we're concerned about VIIs versus a 5w-30 is our lack of any 10w-30 options with specs beyond ILSAC (i.e. an A3/B4 or even an A5/B5), aside from the HDEOs. Nonetheless, the synthetic HDEOs are still pretty well priced at the distributors. On the PCMOs, you can do okay at CT when things are on special, and assuming they have stock (and have loaded the shelves with said stock). Their HDEO pricing is pretty pitiful compared to either Shell or Imperial Oil distributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back