10w30 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: old1
I remember was the old days when the thinnest oil you could get was straight 10 weight. We ran it in all types of engines even splash lubed 216 ci Chevys in very cold weather. So is the multi weight 10w30 not as thin in the cold as the old straight weight?

It was unavoidable, but there were times in North Dakota at -40*F
where an engine was needed that had straight 30.
None of them blew up, but I am SURE it wasn't ideal....

The only vehicles of mine I put 10w30 in are my two Chevy pushrod V8's, and I consider that on the thin side for those engines so I, nor the engines, have any qualms about starting to as cold as -10. I run 5w30 in the Cruze and 5w40 in the diesel Mercedes, all year-round.

In other cars, it depends. If it's a high mileage Ford or Dodge 5w20 engine I don't usually go thicker than 5w30. If it's a 3800 V6 or older LS V8 with a few miles I use 10w30 year-round. On run of the mill domestic engines I generally go with spec. or one grade thicker - never thinner, regardless what time of year it is. Anything I'd see fit to put 10w30 in, in the first place, I have no pause about using it down to at least 20*F, but past that it honestly depends on what the spec is for the engine.

Last edited:
That's the best and funniest description ever of how a motor can sound in colder temps. Awesome !!! Very well stated. I am still laughing typing this. I think you are spot on with your analysis here.

I have used old QSAD 10W30 for mutiple -26 cold starts no issues with engine longevity. Now if you are going to have mutiple weeks with cold starts like this I would personally use 0W30.

Left that valvoline recycled (green bottle) 10w30 in my F150. It only runs to the dump on Saturdays. Started right up at -15'F with a walmart valustart battery.

It was slow, but it caught! I don't feel like it was the oil dragging it down too much.

I can tell 10w-30 is a little thick for my application as temps get down near zero, but it still works alright. Car turns over a bit slower and takes 4 or 5 compression strokes to catch instead of 3. Owner's manual agrees that 5w-30 would be better in that temp range, so I'm also considering this route. See if your manual specs different oil weights depending on expected ambient temps.

Quote:
akin to what I imagine a bunch of midgets with ball-peen hammers must sound like when they're inside the valve covers trying to hammer their way out
Okay this made me chuckle.
lol.gif
Nice description, and I know exactly what that sounds like after my own experience with noisy valvetrains. Cold doesn't make mine complain, but cracked pickup tube o-ring resulted in about three old diesels' worth of clatter once it got warm.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I run 10w-30 in my 6.7 PowerStroke and have started at -40F, where I live we usually never see -10F with the record cold for the area at -20F. I run 10w-30 year around, never an issue.

-40F, unaided? Why?

Me and a group of friends towed our snowmobiles to north of Searchmont ONT. and rode the sleds on an extensive 500 mi. loop around ONT., when we got back several days later the air temp was -40. There was no power available to plug in block heaters as they let us park at a ski lodge away from any outlets. The saving grace was the sun was shining.

I am referring to an HDEO as I have diesel engines, 10w-30 has served me well over the years in cold-starts. The specs recommend 10w-30 down to -4F with a pour point of -33F of Deere Plus 50 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Originally Posted By: kschachn
roadrunner1 said:
I run 10w-30 in my 6.7 PowerStroke and have started at -40F, where I live we usually never see -10F with the record cold for the area at -20F. I run 10w-30 year around, never an issue.

-40F, unaided? Why?

Me and a group of friends towed our snowmobiles to north of Searchmont ONT. and rode the sleds on an extensive 500 mi. loop around ONT., when we got back several days later the air temp was -40. There was no power available to plug in block heaters as they let us park at a ski lodge away from any outlets. The saving grace was the sun was shining.

I am referring to an HDEO as I have diesel engines, 10w-30 has served me well over the years in cold-starts. The specs recommend 10w-30 down to -4F with a pour point of -33F of Deere Plus 50 10w-30. [/quote

I have to correct my previous post as I was looking at CI-4 specs, the CJ-4 spec for 10W-30 has a pour point of -40(F/C).

In my locale our record cold temp is -20F, and this year we have already had multiple -10F mornings, 10w-30 is more than up to the task of these temps.

I always looked at this forum as belonging to people who were interested in maximizing the longevity of their equipment to a degree that was much higher than ordinary consumers. Also the technology keeps getting better and we utilize that technology to a degree higher than the others.

But when I see people still using 10W-30 in cold weather I have to wonder. 10-30 oil in gas engines has been obsolete for over 10 years.

SF

I run 10W-30 in my S2000 and NSX. It made me really sad recently to have to start the NSX when it was 33F outside.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I always looked at this forum as belonging to people who were interested in maximizing the longevity of their equipment to a degree that was much higher than ordinary consumers. Also the technology keeps getting better and we utilize that technology to a degree higher than the others.

But when I see people still using 10W-30 in cold weather I have to wonder. 10-30 oil in gas engines has been obsolete for over 10 years.

SF

What's obsolete about it?

If its fine for a diesel engine at -20F then its also fine for a gasoline engine at the same temp.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

SF

What I was going to ask also...10W30 or 15W30 is probably an optimum balance for Australia. e certainly don't need 5W or 0W anything.

"always" thought, but only here for a fortnight.

Snagglefoot10-30 oil in gas engines has been obsolete for over 10 years.[/quote said:
You must be assuming I'm driving newer vehicles, the combined age of mine is 48, pretty much back when 10w30 ruled.

According to my Buick's owners manual 5w30 is not recommended if the temp is going to be above 60F which would only be 3 months out of the year.

Jump to section 6-12.
https://my.buick.com/content/dam/gmowner...abre_owners.pdf

5w30 would probably be ok in my 3800 all year but I don't think it would be a good idea to run it in the 5.7 in the hotter months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

SF

Although you might find one somewhere, I believe no North American manufacturers have spec’d 10-30 for their gas engines in the last 10 years. Please show me if I’m wrong. I’m really not trying to be belligerent .

SF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back