0W-20 for Texas winters/summers good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ram has excellent oil cooling. The EVIC never showed above 225°F while hauling a well laden UHaul at 75 to 80 MPH when we moved here 2 summers ago. In winter in the Great Lakes area on the highway in winter the EVIC would read in the 195°F range on highway trips. Short trips in winter I'd wonder if it got up to high enough temperatures to activate additives like trinuclear moly.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
My OM gives these choices: 0w20, 0w20, or 0w20 (depending on weather) …

LOL One of my owners manuals says 5W20, 5W20, or 5W20 (depending on weather)... I use 5W30. My cars have logged well over a million miles on an assortment of 30 grade oils over the years, ranging from 0W-10W30. I'm confident in it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Any reason not to follow what is printed in the owners manual? As stated above, they have a chart to follow according to various temperatures.

Sounds good. Pick your favorite new car and we'll go through the owners manual together.
smile.gif

Any reason not to follow what is printed in the owners manual? As stated above, they have a chart to follow according to various temperatures.

Yeah. Its still CAFE compromised.

Had CAFE never existed, 10w-30 would likely be called for extensivly throughout the US except for frigid regions.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Interesting things about climate. Most engines have large enough cooling systems to keep their engine at the same temp regardless of ambient temperature. At 100 F driving in Houston, my engine temp was 210 F. At -30 F up in Edmonton, it was at 210 F. Except for the cold starting issue, climate is not that big of an issue. Folks with oil temp gauges have shown the variations in oil temperature are not huge regardless of ambient temp. If you have a marginal cooling system or plugged up rad, it’s another issue. But I would go far enough to run 5w30 year round instead of 0w20.
Now for 40 weight Aussies to chime in.

If outside temp doesn't matter then why do they put heat range on the oil selection chart?

Cold starting.

And for OPE that’s air/oil cooled the ambient temperature matters a whole bunch

Yes. I didn’t mean for my comments to apply to air cooled vehicles or equipment. Ambient temperatures directly affect the cooling in those situations.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Yeah. Its still CAFE compromised.

Had CAFE never existed, 10w-30 would likely be called for extensivly throughout the US except for frigid regions.

And that same "CAFE compromised" oil still works great. Yes, it's CAFE, yes it's government mandated, yes it's primarily for FE and yes, it's primarily recommended N.America and Japan. A huge swath of consumers want better, no matter how miniscule, mpg. They are fine with thin oils and could really care less what's espoused on this forum since CAFE works for them now, and has since the late 70s.

wemay why don’t you try some 0W20 in your cars, it’s even more CAFE than 5W20, the planet will be eternally grateful
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: nap
wemay why don’t you try some 0W20 in your cars, it’s even more CAFE than 5W20, the planet will be eternally grateful
laugh.gif

The difference between 0w20 and 5w20 is negligible.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
laugh.gif

But there’s no price difference, so why not go for it and chase that last 0.01 mpg posssible?

laugh.gif

But there’s no price difference, so why not go for it and chase that last 0.01 posssible?

I am running 0w and the engine runs smooth and quiet. Not much ore to ask.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Probably get better base stock with the 0w

That's what I've always wondered too. Do 0W's "have" to be pao? Or can 100% grp III achieve a 0W?

I have, my (now traded in) Corolla called for it and saw nothing else. Just running what's in my OM and on the oil cap for the Sonata now . But don't fret, I've had my eye on AFE 0W-20 for a while.
wink.gif

Let’s hear it from wemay, an opinion on 0W in Florida may be interesting.

Whoever you were in your previous incarnations, let’s keep things civil and respectful here.

Let’s hear it from wemay, an opinion on 0W in Florida may be interesting.

Whoever you were in your previous incarnations, let’s keep things civil and respectful here.

What exactly did you find to be uncivil / unrespectful in my question?

Speaking of civility, it seems you are the one casting aspersions here.

My hat off to people that practice what they preach.
thumbsup2.gif

But I've also used 5w30 and even 5w40. My point isn't that CAFE is the be-all-end-all, it's that multiple viscosity will work just fine.

*and 10w30 and 0w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back