0W-20 for Texas winters/summers good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami Fl here...

Sonata 2.4L gets mostly 5w20
Santa Fe Turbo gets mostly 5w30. Now d1G2

I put M1 0w20 in a 2000 Lincoln 4.6 Continental in Palm Springs CA (even hotter than anywhere in TX or even AZ) and all seems fine. I didn’t do a UOA but it didn’t burn any, lots of steep highway hills out there too. That said, next time it’s getting 5w30

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Interesting things about climate. Most engines have large enough cooling systems to keep their engine at the same temp regardless of ambient temperature. At 100 F driving in Houston, my engine temp was 210 F. At -30 F up in Edmonton, it was at 210 F. Except for the cold starting issue, climate is not that big of an issue. Folks with oil temp gauges have shown the variations in oil temperature are not huge regardless of ambient temp. If you have a marginal cooling system or plugged up rad, it’s another issue. But I would go far enough to run 5w30 year round instead of 0w20.
Now for 40 weight Aussies to chime in.

If outside temp doesn't matter then why do they put heat range on the oil selection chart?

Cold starting.

And for OPE that’s air/oil cooled the ambient temperature matters a whole bunch

If SAE 20 is good for your motor, then 0W-20 will be good for your motor, regardless of the ambient temperatures.

Remember a SAE 0W-20 must be a 20 weight at slightly above room temperature or any higher temperature, such as those inside any operating engine. If not, it can't be rated an SAE XX~20 oil.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
If SAE 20 is good for your motor, then 0W-20 will be good for your motor, regardless of the ambient temperatures.

Remember a SAE 0W-20 must be a 20 weight at slightly above room temperature or any higher temperature, such as those inside any operating engine. If not, it can't be rated an SAE ~20 oil.

I don’t think I would want to be in that room.

Any reason not to follow what is printed in the owners manual? As stated above, they have a chart to follow according to various temperatures.

Remember a SAE 0W-20 must be a 20 weight at slightly above room temperature or any higher temperature, such as those inside any operating engine. If not, it can't be rated an SAE XX~20 oil.

Negative.

0w-20, 5w-20, 10w-20, 15w-20, 20w-20 and SAE 20 must all fall within the J300 range for the 20 designation at 100C, which is presently 6.9 to 9.3cSt. There is no requirement for them to be within a fixed viscosity range at any other temperature.

A straight 20 will have a higher HTHS than your typical multigrade xW-20 because it will not be a thinner base thickened with VII's.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Negative.

0w-20, 5w-20, 10w-20, 15w-20, 20w-20 and SAE 20 must all fall within the J300 range for the 20 designation at 100C, which is presently 6.9 to 9.3cSt. There is no requirement for them to be within a fixed viscosity range at any other temperature.

A straight 20 will have a higher HTHS than your typical multigrade xW-20 because it will not be a thinner base thickened with VII's.

I was having fun with him with the room temperature example that you could set a pot of water in and add eggs and seven minutess later have hard boiled eggs.

The typical grocery getter, Sunday go to meeting, pick up the kids commuting vehicle will run just fine on 0w20 in any climate.

If you are hauling loads, towing, four-wheeling or anything that is working your engine then moving up a grade would be beneficial.

How long are you going to keep these vehicles? 30 years?

I don't think you will keep it long enough to make a difference really. I wouldn't stress over this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Negative.

I was having fun with him with the room temperature example that you could set a pot of water in and add eggs and seven minutess later have hard boiled eggs.

Saw that
wink.gif

I tried some almost free to me 5W30 in my Accord when I first brought it home. That car did not like it al all. Engine seemed loud,rough,and weighed down. I replaced it with fresh 0W20 and it was smooth and silent again,running like a dream.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
My OM gives these choices: 0w20, 0w20, or 0w20 (depending on weather) …

Look up the Klueger with the same engine

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/

That’s a Toyota ? I have never owned any Japanese vehicles …

I've been running PP 0W-20 past 2 O/FCI as I bought it when I lived in the Great Lakes area, with no issues. Not sure precisely what's "suboptimal" about this. I'd have no problem towing my trailer mounted BBQ pit if I had a gig for it with PP 0W-20 in my cranckcase. I have some QSUD 0W-20 remaining in my stash with about 250 ppm moly and NOACK < 10, I think this will also run fine in my 5.7L Hemi after I finish using up oil in my stash with trinuclear moly first (PUP & PU 5W-20).

Last edited:
My OM gives these choices: 0w20, 0w20, or 0w20 (depending on weather) …

Look up the Klueger with the same engine

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/

That’s a Toyota ? I have never owned any Japanese vehicles …

Yes a Toyota “truck,suv commercial” I misspelled it , it is “kluger “

Last edited:
I would disagree that oil temp stays the same during winter and summer. I have verified this in both of my BMWs and mazda. During winter (say -10F to 32F) the oil barely gets up to 200-210F. Summer on the other hand when its 85F-100F the oil temps easily gets up to 250F. Usually stays between 220-240F. Mazda with the 4 speed auto on the highway it spins 3000rpm at 80mph and i have seen oil temps climb to 255 on a long trip. So at the end i dont care about the dumb CAFE garbage and use a 30 weight in summer. Screw the tree huggers. I feel alot warmer inside when i pass a prius with a 30 weight oil in my sump. Cheers.

Last edited:
5W20 in a non - GDI engine might be acceptable in Texas ... The argument probably begins at approx. 200K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back