0W-16 Oil....... Really ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
While that may or may not be true. It doesn't change the fact if you start playing engineer with your car, and start substituting oil weights and brands, and wind up with a failure. They could void your warranty. Why take the chance?

Switching oil grades or changing out your lifetime fluid fills is not taking a chance.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I'm sure Toyota has done all the appropriate reliability testing just as they did when 0w20 was recommended...and the naysayers cried CAFE! CAFE! then too.

Since the 70s during the advent of CAFE, only a fraction of applications have gone back to thicker recommendations of the millions of vehicles sold in the US. It's an old, tired argument.

I completely agree. Cars and engines are lasting longer today than ever before. And most ALL of them are using much thinner weight oils. So while this whole argument of thicker viscosity somehow equals "better protection", sounds good coming from several bar stools occupied by "experts". It has very little meaning in the real world.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Switching oil grades or changing out your lifetime fluid fills is not taking a chance.

I agree with changing out "lifetime" fluids.... Provided you have it done at the dealer, where you can then produce proper documentation they did it, should a problem ever arise. But there is absolutely nothing to be gained by running thicker weight oil than the manufacturer recommends. As I said, all you're doing is paving an avenue for the dealer to take in voiding your warranty, if they were to detect the wrong oil in your engine while repairing a major failure. Regardless if it was the cause or not. All risk, and zero reward.

Just think how free that engine will spin on that 16 wt. in Phx in the summer!! Maybe Toyota will back-spec our RAV and I can stop using this heavy 20 wt.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Just think how free that engine will spin on that 16 wt. in Phx in the summer!!

You know, I used to think about that as well. But the thing is on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee I have both an oil temperature, as well as a trans temperature gauge. And regardless of the outside temperature, both oil and trans temps vary surprisingly very little from Winter to Summer. They just take a little more driving time to reach it in the cooler weather. My 5.7 HEMI V-8 runs 5W-20.

I like 5W30(dino or syn) for my go to oils as they give me the quiet operation and mpg. I do not notice any difference in mpg when I use 5/0W20 motor oils, I'm just not seeing it. However, I do notice louder(more audible) sounds from the 20 wgts at idle & cruising in my vehicles when I'd prefer less noise(s).

I agree with changing out "lifetime" fluids.... Provided you have it done at the dealer, where you can then produce proper documentation they did it, should a problem ever arise. But there is absolutely nothing to be gained by running thicker weight oil than the manufacturer recommends. As I said, all you're doing is paving an avenue for the dealer to take in voiding your warranty, if they were to detect the wrong oil in your engine while repairing a major failure. Regardless if it was the cause or not. All risk, and zero reward.
I use recommended oil. It just may not be recommended in the US manual.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Here's the deal with 0W16 oil: The very few car(s) that take it are very new, it's not used in an enthusiast car where more people are more apt to change their own oil like say a Mustang GT, GTI, Focus ST, ...., the weight is used in a car most people will take back to the dealer or perhaps a quicky lube to have changed.

Know what you mean. I was down at the new car auto show in Calgary. Looked at a Chev pickup with the 6.2 gas V-8. The oil filler cap said girly man 0-20.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I don’t see why folks are not comfortable with manufacturers requirements. They’ve done the testing we haven’t.

0W-16 oil was conceived of purely for economy purposes. My bet is that something with a bit more protection would protect better over the long haul.

Here again, where's the advantage? I'm just not seeing it. Toyota sells the Camry all over the world. Let's say Toyota in North America recommends 0W-16, while in Canada, or elsewhere they recommend something thicker. (I'm not saying that is the case, but let's say it is for argument purposes). Are Canadian Toyota Camry's lasting any longer? I'm willing to bet they're not. Most likely there is no measurable difference in longevity. At least anything that can be attributed to running thicker oil.

So yes, the same manufacturer of the same vehicle may recommend different oil weights for different countries. It's not going to mean anything from the standpoint of your car lasting any longer. Because if they did, you would be reading and hearing about it everywhere, and your not.

I don’t see why folks are not comfortable with manufacturers requirements. They’ve done the testing GIVEN IN TO THE GOVERNMENT CAFE MANDATES.

There. Fixed it for you. One day the light bulb will finally come on for the general automotive population, I hope.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Just think how free that engine will spin on that 16 wt. in Phx in the summer!!

You know, I used to think about that as well. But the thing is on my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee I have both an oil temperature, as well as a trans temperature gauge. And regardless of the outside temperature, both oil and trans temps vary surprisingly very little from Winter to Summer. They just take a little more driving time to reach it in the cooler weather. My 5.7 HEMI V-8 runs 5W-20.

Thanks for sharing that. It is what I suspected as well but never had a oil temp gage to monitor it.

Here again, where's the advantage? I'm just not seeing it. Toyota sells the Camry all over the world. Let's say Toyota in North America recommends 0W-16, while in Canada, or elsewhere they recommend something thicker. (I'm not saying that is the case, but let's say it is for argument purposes). Are Canadian Toyota Camry's lasting any longer? I'm willing to bet they're not. Most likely there is no measurable difference in longevity. At least anything that can be attributed to running thicker oil.

So yes, the same manufacturer of the same vehicle may recommend different oil weights for different countries. It's not going to mean anything from the standpoint of your car lasting any longer. Because if they did, you would be reading and hearing about it everywhere, and your not.
From your manual:
Quote:
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-16
SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for
good fuel economy and good starting
in cold weather

Quote:
The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the
oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher
value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or
under extreme load conditions
Toyota allows other oils to be used. Obviously 0w-16 isn't the end all. I never prefer to use the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Hi Bill. Just got back from Wallyworld to pick some QSUD. The only ones they had were 0W-20 and 5W-20. I’m thinking 0W-15 is coming real soon. In the next year Toyota will ask for for one or two oil changes, correct? I’ll bet by the end of the year 0-15 will be on the shelves.
49.gif

All they told me was, "2 years service free". (Like you're not paying for it in the price of the car). I'll most likely change it myself. There is no way I would leave oil in a car for 10,000 miles. I don't drive that many miles, so the stuff would be in there forever.

They don't want the PR hit of people never doing it. Expect a postcard in the mail inviting you in. Remember some people buy toyotas as appliances and they need "herding" into taking care of basic maintenance.

I'd take the free OCIs from the dealer while they offer them, maybe do a secret change at 5k and 15k if it helps you sleep. By the time you're on your own they'll have 16 weight at walmart.
01.gif

I really like the idea of the secret oil change. You could use 0-20 and leave the filter on. Secret oil change! You coined it!

I don’t see why folks are not comfortable with manufacturers requirements. They’ve done the testing we haven’t.
Because manufacturers have other things on their plate besides what's absolute best for your vehicle. Stuff like CAFE.

Run what’s required till warranty is out. Then run what you please. I’ll bet your uoa will be great on 0W16 oil.

Originally Posted By: Danno
With almost 4000 posts and you haven't heard of 0W-16? It's probably been talked about for at least 3 years on this forum. To give you a preview, your next Camry will probably use 0W-12.
Congrats on the new ride sounds sweet.

I was going to put it a little bit more politely, but yes, there is a lot of discussion on 0w-16 and lower grades on here. Probably very few adopters.

Apparently my Honda Accord Hybrid is back-specified to run 0w-16. Im more hesitant in that because when highway driving, the engine will randomly shut off after going 10 miles at 75 MPH - so heat soak and resultant even lower viscosity is a concern.

For a regular IC engine specified for this oil, Id have fewer concerns if any.

Actually, I noticed when 5-30 came out, some people said you should use 10-40. Now, with 0-20 out, some people are saying you should use 5-30. With 0-16, they say you should use 5-20. The beat goes on!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Danno
With almost 4000 posts and you haven't heard of 0W-16? It's probably been talked about for at least 3 years on this forum. To give you a preview, your next Camry will probably use 0W-12.
Congrats on the new ride sounds sweet.

I was going to put it a little bit more politely, but yes, there is a lot of discussion on 0w-16 and lower grades on here. Probably very few adopters.

Apparently my Honda Accord Hybrid is back-specified to run 0w-16. Im more hesitant in that because when highway driving, the engine will randomly shut off after going 10 miles at 75 MPH - so heat soak and resultant even lower viscosity is a concern.

For a regular IC engine specified for this oil, Id have fewer concerns if any.

When the engine shuts off, does the water temp go up? When the engine is shut off the vast majority of the oil is down in the pan and doesn’t see any additional heat. In fact you would have shut off the source of hot oil to the pan so it would instantly start cooling off from air flow across the pan. Just an alternate angle.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Because manufacturers have other things on their plate besides what's absolute best for your vehicle. Stuff like CAFE.

Run what’s required till warranty is out. Then run what you please. I’ll bet your uoa will be great on 0W16 oil.
UOA would probably be great with 20w-50 too, if it wasn't arctic conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back