Would you use 0W-16 in a 2 Liter Ford Ecoboost?

My vehicle in question is a 2017 C-Max Energi plug in hybrid PHEV. Driving even five miles per day on gasoline power is rare. Assuming that I keep it that way, would any of you more esteemed members run a 0W-16 oil in that engine? Obviously I can keep the driving conditions conservative if need be.

My wife and I use a 2017 Prius V for road trips and I believe that car is spec'd for 0W-16 in Japan for nearly a decade. I could switch that vehicle to 0W-16, but it might endure many hours of 70-80 MPH driving on road trips. Just wondering where or if to try a thinner oil. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
heavens no. and if your drive is that short of a commute you may want to consider investing in non-ethanol fuel.
Actually I do run E0 fuel in both the C-Max and the Prius V. Both go months without a fill. The Prius V Has a history a 10% better milage using E0. When the latter goes on a trip it can be 1000 miles in four days.

I think most, if not all Ecoboosts are spec'd for 5W-30. Their non-turbo 2.0 & 3.5 counterparts may specify 5W-20, but will all run happily on 5W-30. Don't put 0W-16 in it if it's turbocharged. Are you sure it's EB?
Sorry - my bad. I don't belive it to be a turbo or Ecoboost. Not sure where I got that impression. The fill cap calls for 0W-20.

Sorry - my bad. I don't belive it to be a turbo or Ecoboost. Not sure where I got that impression. The fill cap calls for 0W-20.
Lower viscosity than recommended would be a hard no. Go up if you like, but never down unless extreme cold weather is a factor. Cold temps aren't a factor when you're already using a 0W oil, so stick with the recommendation, or go heavier.

it's neither Turbo, or ecoboost.
IIRC it's the old Zetec 2.0 with a different cam to be a atkinson cycle instead of the traditional otto cycle engine. (Atkinson is more efficient up top, at the cost of low end power, which makes it perfect to pair with a torque-y electric motor...)
I drive a 2013 C-Max (non-plug in), it calls for 5w20, the following model year (2014) ford changed it to 0w20.

My vehicle in question is a 2017 C-Max Energi plug in hybrid PHEV. Driving even five miles per day on gasoline power is rare. Assuming that I keep it that way, would any of you more esteemed members run a 0W-16 oil in that engine? Obviously I can keep the driving conditions conservative if need be.

My wife and I use a 2017 Prius V for road trips and I believe that car is spec'd for 0W-16 in Japan for nearly a decade. I could switch that vehicle to 0W-16, but it might endure many hours of 70-80 MPH driving on road trips. Just wondering where or if to try a thinner oil. Any thoughts?
Yes. A decade ago, I ran Citgo 0W16 in a PriusC with 7.5k mile OCIs and did this for 150k miles. There were no issues whatsoever.

All things considered, your C-Max is a prime candidate for now using GF-6B 0W16. Mr. Atkinson nods his head in agreement.

it's neither Turbo, or ecoboost.
IIRC it's the old Zetec 2.0 with a different cam to be a atkinson cycle instead of the traditional otto cycle engine. (Atkinson is more efficient up top, at the cost of low end power, which makes it perfect to pair with a torque-y electric motor...)
I drive a 2013 C-Max (non-plug in), it calls for 5w20, the following model year (2014) ford changed it to 0w20.
It’s the Mazda L-engine, not the Zetec (Sigma). Close, though!

Is it this engine?? 1.0L 3 cyl?

I watch his videos, it is quite eye opening if you are into oil and engines.....

Is a slight fuel economy improvement your singular and sole concern? That would be the only benefit, the rest are all downsides.

My 2.0 L 2.0 didn't even like the 5W20. I don't know if the O.P's engine is D.I. though. If P.I, I would be good with a 20 in a Ford (Mazda- pronounced: Motts sue 'DA )

Back