Mobil 1 0W-40 Current PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

I'm posting this because these things change and if they aren't saved they are lost to history.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the most advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide ultimate cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 0W-40, European Car Formula (NA) or Protection Formula (EU), exceeds the requirements of the leading industry and car manufacturers' standards required for newer modern gasoline and diesel powered automobile engines. The Mobil 1 Technology is race proven and the choice of NASCAR racing. Mobil 1 0W-40 is perfect for all types of vehicles anywhere in the world and has the performance reserve to protect when conventional engine oils cannot. It is the first choice at the factory for the some of the world's finest performance vehicles: Mercedes-Benz AMG, Porsche, and Aston Martin.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with Supersyn Technology. Mobil 1 0W-40's wide viscosity range provides unsurpassed levels of protection, fuel savings and the best overall smooth driving experience. Mobil 1 0W-40 keeps engines starting in Arctic extreme cold and cleans deposits, sludge and varnish often formed in high temperature operating conditions. Exceeding most of the global industry standards and the major leading builder requirements is the cornerstone of the performance reserve that lets Mobil 1 0W-40 keep performing well after conventional oils cannot. Key features and benefits include:

Advantages and Potential Benefits
Active cleaning agents Prevents deposits and sludge build-up to enable long and clean engine life
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Reduces oil ageing allowing extended drain interval protection
Low oil consumption Less hydrocarbon pollution
Enhanced frictional properties Greater fuel economy
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting and ultra fast protection
Extended engine and electrical system life
High Viscosity Index and Supersyn Technology Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for all driving styles and conditions

Applications
Mobil 1 0W-40 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, especially high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often cannot perform.
Mobil 1 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals
Mobil 1 0W-40 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
0W-40
API SM/SL/SJ/CF X
ACEA A3/B3 X
A3/B4 X

Mobil 1 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:
0W-40
MB-Approval 229.3 X
MB-Approval 229.5 X
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025 X
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025 X
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01 X
VW 502 00 X
VW 505 00 X
PORSCHE Special Oil List X

Mobil 1 0W-40 is recommended for use in applications requiring:
0W-40
SAAB X

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 0W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 78.3
cSt @ 100º C 14
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.2
Phosphorous 0.1
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85
Total Base Number (TBN) 11.3
MRV at -40ºC 26242
Viscosity Index 186
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D 4683 3.7

Looks like they improved it a bit. High flash point, TBN, and VI. HT/HS of 3.7 also is up a tad. Thanks JAG. Meets a lot of specs!

M1 0W-40 has a nasty habit of breaking down in a near catastrophic fashion in high performance, high temperature engines. Iron wear is almost always high in 0W-40 UOAs. People using the oil at the track or at high ambient temperatures with turbocharged engines have reported that oil temperatures have risen so high as to cause ECU's to invoke their limp mode programming. There are quite a few instances I know of where owners using M1 0W-40 in their engines have seen unexplained oil consumption that starts abruptly in the middle of their OCI, when previously there was no consumption whatsoever.

0W-40 is always a compromise viscosity, but when a formulator tries to be all things to all people, and has an HT/HS of 3.7, you know that they are pulling tricks with VIIs. It's a big spec game, since HT/HS is only measured on new oil, not oil where the viscosity index improvers have been degraded by operation in the engine. Once the VIIs shear, all that supposed advanced shear protection is gone.

Interesting that VW 503 01 is not on the approval list anymore.
It is listed on the 0w-40 page, but not on the PDS.

RI_RS4, dont bother anymore, although I do appreciate your input and keeping people informed with your experience.

Quote:

Interesting that VW 503 01 is not on the approval list anymore.
It is listed on the 0w-40 page, but not on the PDS.

I saw that too. The back of the current bottles say VW 503.01 so I think it's still got that spec and the PDS accidentally left that one off.

I don't consider M1 0w-40 a track/race oil. It's designed as a long drain, fuel efficient synthetic.

For any type of track use, higher shear stability with little to no VII's would be preferred.
smile.gif

This oil is designed to shear. Amsoil AFL had a HT/HS of 4.2. Now it's 3.7, same as the M1. They are designed to shear somewhat in service to meet fuel economy specs. When Amsoil does shear though, it seems to provide better protection.

Amsoils 0-40 offering has served my ATV well. Zero oil consumption. Starts wonderfully in the Winter and stays stable in the Summer. Looking forward to a straight weight Amsoil 40W that meets the 10w40 specs..hint...hint..
laugh.gif

I would agree that 0w oils are not the best full race oils offered.

Interesting. I have seen M1 0w40 being used in Porsche GT3 RSR's and Cup Cars, as well as the Porsche RS Spyder...These are full blown race cars. Indy series uses it as well in their Honda engines.

Quote:

I have seen M1 0w40 being used in Porsche GT3 RSR's and Cup Cars, as well as the Porsche RS Spyder...These are full blown race cars. Indy series uses it as well in their Honda engines.

It's probably a variation of it, I would think.

Actually, it is right out of the bottle M1 0w40...Porsche Motorsports will tell you the same....

Quote:

Porsche Motorsports will tell you the same....

Do you know the sump size of those cars? One the one hand, I'm surprised they would use an oil with so many VII's in it. Maybe they like that it shears down for a few more hp?

I remember reading about Porsche's tests on oils that get their approval and they were harsh. I should try to dig up info on it. If I find it, I'll post it.

My Porsche Cup car (964 model) holds approx 14 quarts...Newer 997 models are similiar capacity. Another note, Porsche Motorsports says you can run this oil for 30 hours. Admittedly,some of the higher strung race motors get rebuilt after the races.

14qts is a huge amount of oil and probably one of the reasons they can get away with using that oil. Let me ask you this, what was the general consensus of Mobil 1 among Porsche owners? What did the tear downs show?

I cannot comment on specific engine teardowns but I will say that Porsche engines dominate endurance racing and have consistently been very reliable under racing conditions...The RS Spyder has been winning overall victories in AMmerican Lemans racing against cars in a higher supposed ctaegory...I have never seen an on track engine failure in the professional ranks of Porsche racing. Wow, I feel like I'm writing a commercial here...Anyways I happen to use Redline 10w40 in my race cars...Because I have alot of it in my shop and becuase the UOA's look pretty darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back