New mobil 1 0w40 viscosity

Is the lower levels of zddp boron moly in pp euro l 5w30 concerning for timing chain wear?
To me? I don’t know. I just ran heavier oils in my LS1 GTO because living in the heat in Las Vegas would return me about 15-19 psi of oil pressure at idle. From what I remember this was pretty common with the design of the stock oil pump.

Pennzoil Plat Euro L 5W-30 on Amazon:
3-jugs / $43
HT/HS ~3.5
Full disclosure on that deal is warranted....the seller claims up to two month to deliver, and some have had order quantity issues, as in not getting three jugs, only one. While there is little risk with Amazon of losing money, this could end up being a lot of hassle.
I placed an order and will wait and see on the outcome.

Full disclosure on that deal is warranted....the seller claims up to two month to deliver, and some have had order quantity issues, as in not getting three jugs, only one. While there is little risk with Amazon of losing money, this could end up being a lot of hassle.
Oh wow! Thanks for the heads up

I ordered it as well. I have a feeling the order is either going to be canceled or some other issue. I have no fear though I'm certain I won't be out any money no matter what the outcome is.

They don't disclose it anymore for some oils. It's widely believed to be 3.6 based on one datasheet that escaped and the HTHS of prior formulations.
Widely believed is entirely irrelevant. You made a very definite statement, then try to back it up with a metric that is “widely believed”?!?

The reality is that while you say that only one metric really matters, the reality is that if KV changes, then it is likely that the chemical composition has changed, and thus the HTHS changes too. Good news is that it’s likely for the better with a higher KV. But you can’t mix definite statements with speculation and be believable.

Widely believed is entirely irrelevant. You made a very definite statement, then try to back it up with a metric that is “widely believed”?!?

The reality is that while you say that only one metric really matters, the reality is that if KV changes, then it is likely that the chemical composition has changed, and thus the HTHS changes too. Good news is that it’s likely for the better with a higher KV. But you can’t mix definite statements with speculation and be believable.
It’s widely believed because the PDS with it leaked before it was redacted. Including the updated KV100. I didn’t say it was an absolute certainty.

It’s widely believed because the PDS with it leaked before it was redacted. Including the updated KV100. I didn’t say it was an absolute certainty.
You’re the one correlating hths as the only thing that matters, with a “widely believed” kv.
HTHS is all that practically matters after the winter grade. I’m not sure 1 cSt makes much difference. It’s 7% thicker at 100 C.
Using weasel words like “practically” and “widely” doesn’t absolve you of assumptions and claims that aren’t necessarily true. The formulations may be quite different, affecting hths and any other metric.

You’re the one correlating hths as the only thing that matters, with a “widely believed” kv.

Ewing weasel words like “practically” and “widely” doesn’t absolve you of assumptions and claims that aren’t necessarily true. The formulations may be quite different, affecting hths and any other metric.
It came from a datasheet for the SP version.

BTW - I spoke with a XOM engineer who was the program lead for ESP X3 via email who told me the FS 0W-40 HTHS is lower than ESP X3. That is 3.8. You guess what it might be then. It's pretty reasonable to assume it is 3.6 considering that every other recent formulation was 3.6, the PDS said 3.6 before it was removed, and an engineer with XOM told me it was lower than 3.8.

It came from a datasheet for the SP version, don't be a jackass. What's your problem? Do you attack everyone for making carefully qualified statements? Did I offend you somehow?
You didn’t make a carefully qualified statement. You made a broad statement and then tried to justify it with an unavailable” widely believed” metric.

You didn’t offend me, you just made broad brush statements without real basis.

Enough with the profanity though. That is a rules violation

You didn’t make a carefully qualified statement. You made a broad statement and then tried to justify it with an unavailable” widely believed” metric.

You didn’t offend me, you just made broad brush statements without real basis.

Enough with the profanity though. That is a rules violation
Wow. Believed does not mean fact.

How about you put up a poll? I bet 3.6 HTHS wins.

Last edited:
BTW - I spoke with a XOM engineer who was the program lead for ESP X3 via email who told me the FS 0W-40 HTHS is lower than ESP X3. That is 3.8. You guess what it might be then. It's pretty reasonable to assume it is 3.6 considering that every other recent formulation was 3.6, the PDS said 3.6 before it was removed, and an engineer with XOM told me it was lower than 3.8.
It could also be 3.7 like Ravenol SSL 0W-40, which has the same KV100 and same VI.

It could also be 3.7 like Ravenol SSL 0W-40, which has the same KV100 and same VI.
Could be. This post has a screenshot of the data before it disappeared which showed 3.6. That would keep it in line with the Asian market Triple Action 0W-40 that is 3.6 as well with similar KV100. Either way, 3.6 vs 3.7 is surely an earth-shattering difference :).

Don’t be an idiot. It’s widely believed because the PDS with it leaked before it was redacted. Including the updated KV100. So you can spare me the BS. I didn’t say it was an absolute certainty so I don’t know what your problem is.

It came from a datasheet for the SP version, don't be a jackass. What's your problem? Do you attack everyone for making carefully qualified statements? Did I offend you somehow?

You can apologize, otherwise stop crapping up this thread being a pedant.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today or something? Wow. Believed does not mean fact. I don't know what your problem is.

How about you put up a poll? I bet 3.6 HTHS wins.
why beeing so agro? you insult people all the time.who gives you the right to use such a language? we are all equal here and this forum is part of the civil world ,not an arena. he said his opinion with civilised words and you provoke him all the time using insults.you should be the one to apologise for your behaviour.just bcs he has a different opinion doesn't mean he should accept your profanity behaviour. you have an attitude problem mr. try to conform.everybody is free to say his opinion openly and WIDE.

Back