Volvo XC70 Oil Recommedation

Hello
Currently in Australia
2013 XC 70 3.2 Engine (B6324S5)
Manual says 5-30 ACEA A5B5

Is A5/B5 a "compromise" spec or is the engine designed for this oil?

I am leaning toward Mobil 1 0-40 for maximum protection and engine longevity.

Are there any downsides? ( such as damaging catalytic converter etc)

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 10.11.44 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 10.12.00 AM.jpg

I've got the same engine in our 2013 S80 3.2. We are using A3/B4 oil (same as A5/B5 except for the fuel economy aspect). Currently using Castrol Euro 5W40 A3/B4 API SP. Consider A3/B4 equivalent except not trying to hit a fuel economy target.

Imho, xW-40 may not be a better choice. It will raise oil pressure a bit and engine will be running a bit hotter so cooling system will work harder. I think you can benefit from ACEA C3/C2 oil in xW-30 grade.

Ive started running Mobil 1 ESP 5w30. These are very good oils. I dont think the 3.2 is that picky and A5/B5 was mostly for extended drain intervals.

A5/B5 was for fuel economy requirements. This engine started out using A3/B4. If you want the best of both worlds a 5w-30 A3/B3 would give you decent fuel economy while having a higher HTHS. I honestly think a 5w-30 would be more than adequate for these cars but a 0w-40 would work too. Let us know what you decide & enjoy that XC70. 🚗

Imho, xW-40 may not be a better choice. It will raise oil pressure a bit and engine will be running a bit hotter so cooling system will work harder. I think you can benefit from ACEA C3/C2 oil in xW-30 grade.
Though true It's negligent.

Here is my post from 8 months ago on the same topic:

That engine is a six cylinder example of the five cylinder “white block” that was in production from 1990 to 2016. Great engine. Very long lasting. It was not “designed” around a particular viscosity, and earlier versions specified an A1/B1 5W30.

Interestingly, when Volvo had to address sludge in those engines (due to Volvo North America dealers using bulk 5W30 Dino, and not an A1/B1 oil, a long story of bad dealerships maintenance) Volvo specified an A3/B4 oil in the service bulletin to help clean the engines up.

So, my recommendation for a white block - an A3/B4, or anything that meets MB 229.5. The Mobil 1 0W40 is on the light side of a -40, meets A3/B4 and MB 229.5 and is relatively inexpensive. This engine doesn’t care about viscosity very much, but it does care about specification. I’ve done a few UOA on the 2002 V70T5 and the 2002 V70XC, and the Volvo specified oil change interval is conservative, if, and only if, you’re using an A3/B4.

Hello
Thanks. Confusing as usual. Had a look at the car manual and the spec for Australia calls for 0-30 ACEA A5/B5 only.
Oil choices here are very very limited. To go EXACT SPEC there are only 2 choices which are easily available : Penrite ( a local oil manufacturer ) or Liqui Moly at $140 US for 5L.
There is a Castrol product available but it is a special order (see attached)

Castrol Edge 5w-30 ACEA A3/B4 seems a safe choice while I consider.

I asked the Mechanic who did the oil change before and they used Fuchs 15W-40 ( a locally blended oil with the only spec on the bottle API SN)

I also enclose a picture of the Mobil 1 range available here

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 6.29.03 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 6.29.29 PM.jpg

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF would hit the A5/B5, but realistically any 5w-30 MB229.5 would be fine. Just watch Penrite, as they’re not actually approved.

Ok, Thanks
I do not believe A5/B5 and MB229.5 are compatible.

This is my evaluation so far:
3.2-liter Volvo B6324S5 produced from 2010 to 2016. No changes made in the bearings during production run despite changes in viscosity advice. Full SAPS oil allowed as no need to protect particulate filters.

This is from the 2011 US Owner's manual : "Synthetic oils meeting SAE 0W-30 or 0W-40 and complying with oil quality requirements are
recommended for driving in areas of sustained extremes (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, and for pro-
longed driving in mountainous areas". Suggested viscosity for normal use : 5W-30.

Not sure what oil quality requirements means. Perhaps it means synthetic ?

My owner's manual (2013) no longer lists 40W as an option. (I believe it's because ACEA A5 does not allow it.) Only allowed viscosity 0-30.
Not sure why the move from 5-30 to 0-30 ONLY, perhaps 0-30 needs better base stocks (price seems to suggest this)?

It appears that engines are not designed to meet ACEA classifications but it's the other way around : oils are formulated to allow existing engines to pass wear testing in the face of increasing fuel efficiency requirements.

So...high quality oil, personally not interested in economy, 0-30W required. It looks like Mobil 0-40 might be ok. Very close to 0-30 and previously "allowed"for this engine.

Please correct me. I do not want to harm my engine!!

You’re not going to harm your engine.

MB229.5 is arguably the ultimate A3/B4 derived spec.

A5/B5 is a fuel economy optimised version of A3/B4.

If I was you I’d use a MB229.5 5w-30. My favourite of these is Shell Helix Ultra X 5w-30, but I also buy Castrol Edge A3/B4 5w-30 when it’s on sale.

Ok, Thanks
I do not believe A5/B5 and MB229.5 are compatible.

This is my evaluation so far:
3.2-liter Volvo B6324S5 produced from 2010 to 2016. No changes made in the bearings during production run despite changes in viscosity advice. Full SAPS oil allowed as no need to protect particulate filters.

This is from the 2011 US Owner's manual : "Synthetic oils meeting SAE 0W-30 or 0W-40 and complying with oil quality requirements are
recommended for driving in areas of sustained extremes (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, and for pro-
longed driving in mountainous areas". Suggested viscosity for normal use : 5W-30.

Not sure what oil quality requirements means. Perhaps it means synthetic ?

My owner's manual (2013) no longer lists 40W as an option. (I believe it's because ACEA A5 does not allow it.) Only allowed viscosity 0-30.
Not sure why the move from 5-30 to 0-30 ONLY, perhaps 0-30 needs better base stocks (price seems to suggest this)?

It appears that engines are not designed to meet ACEA classifications but it's the other way around : oils are formulated to allow existing engines to pass wear testing in the face of increasing fuel efficiency requirements.

So...high quality oil, personally not interested in economy, 0-30W required. It looks like Mobil 0-40 might be ok. Very close to 0-30 and previously "allowed"for this engine.

Please correct me. I do not want to harm my engine!!
My manual specs 0W30 or 5W30, with 0W30 being called out for areas with sustained low temperatures:
oil specs.jpg

I'm using Castrol Euro 5W40 at the moment without any issues. I will do a UOA in late April.

Why do you think Volvo is recommending 0-30 in Australia vs 5-30 in the US?
0-30 ACEA A5 is a very rare and expensive oil in Australia. Not sure I can afford it.
Isn't Mobil 1 0-40 ( a thin 40 almost 30 ) closer to the recommended viscosity ?

Why do you think Volvo is recommending 0-30 in Australia vs 5-30 in the US?
0-30 ACEA A5 is a very rare and expensive oil in Australia. Not sure I can afford it.
Isn't Mobil 1 0-40 ( a thin 40 almost 30 ) closer to the recommended viscosity ?
No idea, considering Australia's very mild weather on the cold side. Maybe they saw $$$ from people buying this unicorn oil from Volvo dealers.

Mobil 1 0w-40 has a MRV of 21,600 cP, Shell Helix Ultra X 5w-30 has a MRV of 13,800 cP. This means that the Shell Helix Ultra X is more flowable when cold than the M1 0w-40 despite it being a 5w.

If you really must have a 0w-30, then Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 is MB 229.52, which is the DPF friendly version of MB 229.5. It is reasonably priced. I think I last bought a 3x5L for $115 and would be fine in your Volvo.

Back