Acetone & Myth Busters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does acetone stay mixed in the fuel or does it fall out of solution after sitting still for a while? I know it's highly soluble but it is an organic ketone (as opposed to being a petroleum based solvent). Also, is it more soluble in ethanol and/or water than in gas? If so, it's possible that it could fall out of solution with the ethanol and water that already may be present in the gas... If it was such a great fuel system cleaner, why isn't it the main ingredient in STP/etc?

Quote:

Does acetone stay mixed in the fuel or does it fall out of solution after sitting still for a while? I know it's highly soluble but it is an organic ketone (as opposed to being a petroleum based solvent). Also, is it more soluble in ethanol and/or water than in gas? If so, it's possible that it could fall out of solution with the ethanol and water that already may be present in the gas... If it was such a great fuel system cleaner, why isn't it the main ingredient in STP/etc?

I have only encountered it failing to stay suspended in Lucas UCL. No matter how I shake the little bottle, those 2 go their spearate ways. Acetone, in my experience mixes perfectly with most everything else.

Acetone stays mixed with the fuel and ethanol. It also will absorb or displace moisture.

It ate some of the glue out of my LC bottle. The bottle was seeping at the seams, so I hit it with super glue to keep it sealed up. It’s stronger than FP or LC in that aspect. I have also noticed the easier start stuff, but no matter what I use, I can't get better gas mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back