Rislone Engine Treatment - Smells like Strong Chemicals

Have it in the Taurus in signature at the moment. Gonna to run it the last 1300 miles of my 3000 mile OCI. Presently have 1700 miles on oil & filter. From here on out -- switching to Quaker State Synthetic Blend High Mileage 5W30 paired with a Fram ToughGard. Gonna run 4000 mile OCIs.

Baja, i will say, that after only 100 miles, i could notice the engine quiet down(no science to back this up). After 500 miles in engine i dropped the oil warm and noticed how much blacker my oil was and it appeared much thinner than when I usually change it. T

The oil in the engine was super tech synthetic rated for protection out to 10k miles. I usually do regular ST and just change every 5K but they were out of the regular oil so i went with synthetic and did a filter change at 5k, left the oil in and added some top off.

I can't say i like these extended oils and also can't say i would leave the rislone in the engine for much longer after seeing the oil come out like it did. just my thoughts and observations on it.

the engine is much quieter though.

Last edited:
if starting with decently clean engine i think I would run longer, but i had skipped a few or more than a few of my preventative maintenances! o_O

Have it in the Taurus in signature at the moment. Gonna to run it the last 1300 miles of my 3000 mile OCI. Presently have 1700 miles on oil & filter. From here on out -- switching to Quaker State Synthetic Blend High Mileage 5W30 paired with a Fram ToughGard. Gonna run 4000 mile OCIs.
Please realize this fluid is a 10W20 grade and could thin out the bulk oil.

I know this is beyond un-scientific... but I was smelling my Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum, and Redline HP to see what the fuss was about as far as esters smelling fruity... I may be biased but Redline in ways smelt quite similar to Mobil 1 EP but definitely had much fruiter background notes.

But onto what this post is about... the Rislone... OMG!!! I would bet there is some kind of solvent in that stuff... it smells STRONG like solvent chemicals (like chemicals such as paint, liquor thinner, acetone, something like that... not the traditional "Refined Oil smell" as many of my synthetic oils smell like.

The current MSDS for Rislone doesn't show anything special.. but I just wanted to throw this thought out there... I think some of Rislone's cleaning power is based on chemical solvents versus just that 11% reported ester content that does the cleaning..

The Redline I could smell all day, its pleasant.. the Rislone I get one whiff and I think i might have been poisoned it smells SO strongly like solvent chemicals.

If anyone else is up to it and you own a bottle of Rislone.. smell it and let me know what you think. Now I think I know why the Rislone bottle says "only use up to 20% of oil volume"

I know you cannot tell what is in something specifically just off smell, but the Rislone smells so distinctly different than my other oils, I absolutely would bet against anyone saying this is simply "a 20 weight motor oil" as I have seen mentioned in other threads. There is something strong smelling in it kind of like Berrymans B-12 smells I guess is a good way to describe it...
*Rislone High Mileage cleaner smells very fruity (not sure what you used ?)

*Rislone High Mileage cleaner smells very fruity (not sure what you used ?)

Part# 100QR

Rislone Engine Treatment 32oz / 1qt

The MSDS claims “Fruity Smell” but in reality it has a strong chemical smell (to me) like paint thinner, acetone, etc.

It makes me wonder what exactly they have inside of the stuff to perform the cleaning.

The TMP ester is great for cleaning… but I have other products that contain TMP ester that do not share this smell… so I attribute the chemical smell to something else used in Rislone for cleaning… not sure what though.

Part# 100QR

Rislone Engine Treatment 32oz / 1qt

The MSDS claims “Fruity Smell” but in reality it has a strong chemical smell (to me) like paint thinner, acetone, etc.

It makes me wonder what exactly they have inside of the stuff to perform the cleaning.

The TMP ester is great for cleaning… but I have other products that contain TMP ester that do not share this smell… so I attribute the chemical smell to something else used in Rislone for cleaning… not sure what though.
But it sure does work!

First time running it on my high mileage Taurus in signature. Recently cleaned up a lifter that was noisy when hitting 3000 rpm when ready to shift getting on it alittle. Noise is totally gone. Unless the regular QSUD did the trick???? Have about 800 - 1000 miles on the Rislone with the QSUD -- overall 2200 miles on this OCI so far.

First time running it on my high mileage Taurus in signature. Recently cleaned up a lifter that was noisy when hitting 3000 rpm when ready to shift getting on it alittle. Noise is totally gone. Unless the regular QSUD did the trick???? Have about 800 - 1000 miles on the Rislone with the QSUD -- overall 2200 miles on this OCI so far.
Nice pairing (QSUD + Rislone) !

Question. Do the the active chemicals in Rislone eg. The TMP esters etc, get ‘used up’ or gradually lose effectiveness over the life of the cleaning regime? Was thinking about a 6,000 kilometres OCI with 1.5 bottles (750ml) added.

Was thinking about a 6,000 kilometres OCI with 1.5 bottles (750ml) added.
The Rislone Engine Treatment 32oz bottle says you can run 2 bottles of it for 100 miles in a dirty motor. Not sure about the smaller HM bottles but 1.5 btls may be a lot for 6000k.

Question. Do the the active chemicals in Rislone eg. The TMP esters etc, get ‘used up’ or gradually lose effectiveness over the life of the cleaning regime? Was thinking about a 6,000 kilometres OCI with 1.5 bottles (750ml) added.
In a general sense, the additives in any oil disassociate over time and lose effectiveness. The only thing that can affect esters is hydrolysis, which, in chemistry, is a decomposition reaction with water.

One can design esters with specific molecular structure that is little affected by moisture.

The Rislone Engine Treatment 32oz bottle says you can run 2 bottles of it for 100 miles in a dirty motor. Not sure about the smaller HM bottles but 1.5 btls may be a lot for 6000k.
I’m currently running 750ml (1.5 bottles) for 6kkms.

any commercial products similar to Rislone concentrate that do a better job, excluding HPL which isn’t available? Not interested in petroleum distillate type products.

Back