Rislone Engine Treatment - Smells like Strong Chemicals

I know this is beyond un-scientific... but I was smelling my Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum, and Redline HP to see what the fuss was about as far as esters smelling fruity... I may be biased but Redline in ways smelt quite similar to Mobil 1 EP but definitely had much fruiter background notes.

But onto what this post is about... the Rislone... OMG!!! I would bet there is some kind of solvent in that stuff... it smells STRONG like solvent chemicals (like chemicals such as paint, liquor thinner, acetone, something like that... not the traditional "Refined Oil smell" as many of my synthetic oils smell like.

The current MSDS for Rislone doesn't show anything special.. but I just wanted to throw this thought out there... I think some of Rislone's cleaning power is based on chemical solvents versus just that 11% reported ester content that does the cleaning..

The Redline I could smell all day, its pleasant.. the Rislone I get one whiff and I think i might have been poisoned it smells SO strongly like solvent chemicals.

If anyone else is up to it and you own a bottle of Rislone.. smell it and let me know what you think. Now I think I know why the Rislone bottle says "only use up to 20% of oil volume"

I know you cannot tell what is in something specifically just off smell, but the Rislone smells so distinctly different than my other oils, I absolutely would bet against anyone saying this is simply "a 20 weight motor oil" as I have seen mentioned in other threads. There is something strong smelling in it kind of like Berrymans B-12 smells I guess is a good way to describe it...

You're using Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum and Redline HP and you perceive a need to use Rislone?

LOL - I switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum, so it’s just some leftover I have from a 5qt jug. And before that I was getting dealer oil with 8-10k OCIs as recommended by Toyota… only problem is my dealer was giving me aftermarket parts and not always using genuine Toyota oil. They were substituting parts and oil with the cheapest bulk crap they could get.

I bought a borescope camera … And then I bought small amounts of red line, Rislone, marvel mystery oil.

I am running my full OCI (now 3k miles) with straight PCMO but I am experimenting with occasional additives before an OCI to clean up some sediment I noticed forming on the bottom of my oil dip stick.

So the plan is to look inside my engine and oil pan with the borescope, and then see how it looks after the cleaning product is used.

I don’t plan on using the products permanently… But I was getting Dealer oil changes at almost 10k miles for a while and I noticed the gunk starting to form at the bottom of my dipstick. so I want to get it cleaned out and then run these high quality oils, do the oil changes myself….

And hopefully I won’t have to worry about any of these cleaning products ever again once I get on a 5000 mile oil change interval with Pennzoil platinum and a Fram ultra filter.

And hopefully I won’t have to worry about any of these cleaning products ever again once I get on a 5000 mile oil change interval with Pennzoil platinum and a Fram ultra filter.

That will depend on your driving routine. The oil and filter are just along for the ride.

I don't understand the ester smell, bought a bottle of HPL Engine Cleaner which is suppose to have a good deal of Ester. I gave it a good sniff ... yeah, smells like oil.

Tell us more.
added 500ml to daughters Suzuki 2.0 and 750ml to my 4.0 Barra. Both use synthetic oil with short oci’s and Nulon flush before change. Didn’t expect much but within 200kms both were substantially smoother and quieter. Improving by the day. Doesn’t smell like an automotive product, more like a drunk but I guess it’s the TMP esters.

I can see we need some chemistry clarification on "Esters" and smell, again.

Please read this:

Take for example N-amyl acetate (or pentyl acetate), which is an ester in Bananas and Pears and which gives them their distinctive smell and is a naturally occurring combination of a fatty acid and an alcohol.

An example of an alcohol used by itself for "Smell" is Trimethyl-1-hexanol which is used as a fragrance in household cleaning products and many toiletries.

Esters synthesized for lubricants are a combination of specific free fatty acids and selected alcohols which are reacted to produce a specific performance goal and viscosity.

For example, Trimethylolpropane ester (TMP) can be synthesized via esterification of plant free fatty acids with trimethylolpropane (a primary alcohol). Various plant-based free fatty acids and many different types of alcohols can be reacted to produce various ester combinations.

All of the synthesized esters I have in my lab only smell, "FAT" or "fatty," as would be expected.

Last edited:

Please read this:

Take for example N-amyl acetate (or pentyl acetate), which is an ester in Bananas and Pears and which gives them their distinctive smell and is a naturally occurring combination of a fatty acid and an alcohol.

An example of an alcohol used by itself is Trimethyl-1-hexanol which is used as a fragrance in household cleaning products and many toiletries.

Esters synthesized for lubricants are a combination of specific free fatty acids and selected alcohols which are reacted to produce a specific performance goal and viscosity.

For example, Trimethylolpropane ester (TMP) is synthesized via esterification of plant free fatty acids with trimethylolpropane (a primary alcohol). Various plant-based free fatty acids and alcohols can be reacted to produce various ester combinations.

All of the synthesized esters I have in my lab only smell, "FAT" or "fatty," as would be expected.
I understand, I took chemistry we did the banana ester in our class. I do know they create scent, however I've never noticed a noticeable fruit smell in the final product.

I should have clarified more, my comment wasn't a denial of such, more so I couldn't personal detect it in a finished motor oil.

I understand, I took chemistry we did the banana ester in our class. I do know they create scent, however I've never noticed a noticeable fruit smell in the final product.

I should have clarified more, my comment wasn't a denial of such, more so I couldn't personal detect it in a finished motor oil.
I wasn't singling you out and I have modified my original post.

Every so often this ester topic comes up and needed clarification again:

Not all esters have a fragrance.

Please read this:

An example of an alcohol used by itself for "Smell" is Trimethyl-1-hexanol which is used as a fragrance in household cleaning products and many toiletries.

For example, Trimethylolpropane ester (TMP) is synthesized via esterification of plant free fatty acids with trimethylolpropane (a primary alcohol). Various plant-based free fatty acids and alcohols can be reacted to produce various ester combinations.

Great info, Thank you!

Back