Toyota 4 Cylinder Turbo Low Compression

B12 in the fuel will help clean up varnish in the lines and tank too. It's good stuff.

When you do a leak down, try to listen or feel for where the air is coming out. Bad rings will cause air to come out of the dipstick tube. With valves it will be either the intake or exhaust manifold.

The issue is probably related to corrosion. Normally a cylinder will be sitting with open intake or exhaust valves and that cylinder will corrode if there's enough moisture. I'd try the B12 piston soak. An Italian tuneup afterwards might help unstick things as well, but don't overdo it since you could have a lot of bore wear if the rings are stuck.
You beat me to it! Was going to suggest this. (y)

As much as I would like this thread to have a happy ending it isn't going to happen. Maybe I didn't look well enough at the cylinders the last time I dug into this or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention but when I looked at them this time, there is definite scoring. At first glance, it doesn't look horrible but when I poured a few ounces of Berrymans into the suspect cylinder, it just ran past right the rings. I started the car up and it is a now a smoke machine. Anyone have a spare 3S-GTE laying around? ☹️
20240115102254621.jpg
20240115102204292.jpg

Back