The best Budget Tires out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I'd like to put 195/65R15's on for my winter tires, but I'd much rather have my big brakes!

I know the problem. Manufacturers now fitting big brakes so us softies can't fit our comfy high profile tyres.
dunno.gif
grin.gif

Take gander at this months consumer reports, they did a all-season and winter tire test. Can't' remember it all but Dayton performed well in one of the catagory at significantly less money than the others.

If you dollar cost average the difference in price over the miles they last, the savings on cheap tires might not be that big of deal.

Good point, wileyE, especially considering that you have the fixed cost of mounting, balancing, etc..., regardless of what tire you put on. For cheap tires, this can be up to 40% of the cost of putting new shoes on your car.

Again, let me brag about the advantage of having a harbor freight tire changer in the basement. You can avoid a lot of these costs - even balancing, if you're lucky or if your car isn't too demanding.

I have some kumhos 795 touring tires. 80,000 miles warranty but are almost towards illegal with only 45,000. For the price they are good quiet tires.They cant handle curves well though but other than that they are good.
My wifes car has some pricey BFG traction t/a tires which I thought would be quiet tires. Nope, for the price paid they should not have have as much road noise.

I think cooper is decent and they have a great presence in the store-brand area. I purchased a set of basically premium all-seasons (not even sure if really budget) from NTW (now NTB) and I loved them. However every tire has some sacrafice.

The only tires I have owned that I was content with are both premium brands of Nokian (the WR-winter rated all-season) and Michelin. Otherwise there is some horrible scarafice like excessive noise, wet braking, or wet traction both pet peeves of mine. What I mean is not intially but after 10-15k miles when a tire changes "personality".

Mounting hassle/costs is too much to me to risk a budget tire. My last try at budget tires was Sumitomo SXRION's. What a waste of $80 in mounting fees even at their cheap overall price installed price of $55/tire in 185/60/14 H-rated.

That all being said I think every brand even budget has a dud and a star given all factors including price.

I have posted on this thread before. I put Viva 2's on my van . Now after a week and a half of driving I can highly recommend them.Very quiet on the interstate.Holds the road well around corners.I plan on going to Walmart and getting some more on my other vehicle.
Goodyear Viva 2's are great value for $$-from Walmart.

The thread title and first post both refer to the "best budget tires". So it isn't the size of the tire company that matters, its the cost of the tire. I've researched Kumho tires a lot, and they have almost uniformly good tires at low prices compared to other brands. I've especially researched their all-season and AT tires and for the price its hard to beat them when you consider their traction, build quality, and how long they last.

I've run 2 sets Toyo Spectrum and thought they were good.

I thought the 2 sets of Toyo Ultra 800 were really very good long lasting tires..but not true bargain tires.

I currently have Kumho A/S 395 on our Chevy Corsica and they are OK.

Tires have a treadwear rating of 560 A B and are well reviewed, but I feel that they are not really deserving of a top ranking, unless the low cost of the tire is factored in.

Tires caused problems with pulling right or left ...depending on on how we swapped the tires. Also tires wore quickly. I am confident that I got a bad set. Tire Rack warrantied the product, and I'll know more in the Spring after the snow tires come off if this Kumho A/S 795 is worth while.

Good tire for cheap at $36.00, but not great tires.

Other inexpensive or good value tires , IMHO are:

-the Winterforce studdable snow tire from Firestone / Dayton

-the Falken Ziex ZE 512

toyo tires I would not consider budget... unless you consider that the decent ones last a VERY long time, so the cost per mile is quite low.

Ive been really happy with my falken ziex ZE512 tires on my BMW... but my one gripe is that the sidewalls start to show tiny cracks (like from UV degradation or whatnot???), especially near the lettering that is molded in. My more expensive tires dont get this way in 2 years of limited use, it takes more like 5...

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
The thread title and first post both refer to the "best budget tires". So it isn't the size of the tire company that matters, its the cost of the tire. I've researched Kumho tires a lot, and they have almost uniformly good tires at low prices compared to other brands. I've especially researched their all-season and AT tires and for the price its hard to beat them when you consider their traction, build quality, and how long they last.

dang, i meant like budget companies..

BFG Touring T/A "pro series" at Sam's Club. Cost me $69 a tire. These are made specially for Sam's and have a wear rating in excess of 600+. They are IMO a budget michelin.
As far as being an excellent value - sams club charges $36 for installation and lifetime service including flat repair. Discount tire wanted $480 for Michelin Symmetry + installation....so I saved $200 (wasn't spending 500 bux for tires for a 140K mile GM vehicle...)

I am having Wynstar Phaser on my corolla. $50 including mounting each tire. Not bad handling but it is very noisy.

Personal preference is Kumho, best bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back