On the search for new tires for mercury grand marquis

Starting to become on the lookout for a new set of shoes for the ol' medicare sled. I put a new set of Arizonian silver edition III 225 60 16 tires on in 2019 when I bought the car. Overall, those have been great tires, they're 5 years old with 16K miles now and while the tread is still 5/32-6/32, they're becoming a little hard and the cold weather and wet traction is not as good as they were the first year or two and they're starting to show some minor weather cracking between the edge of the tread and sidewall. I drive the car year around to work and back and run errands occasionally, not really in the snow but a ton of rainy weather. Mostly city driving with some highway. I've been eyeballing several tires and wondering what the consensus is. I'm trying to keep the tire budget from $80-115 a tire.

Hankook Kinergy ST H735 - I have these on another car and love them, and also had many sets of Hankook in the past on numerous vehicles, loved them all.

Mastercraft SRT touring radial - these seem really similar to the Arizonians to me.

Several Falken tires caught my interest, Pro G5 touring A/S, Sincera SN/201 AS SN/250 AS, Ziex ZE960 AS

Starfire solarus AS caught my attention somewhat, another cooper private label.

What do you all recommend out of that list or maybe something comparable that I didn't find? wet weather traction and quiet ride are the biggest factor for me.

Falken if it's made in Japan
Walmart carries a lot of good budget tires. 3 years ago, I purchased a set of 4 Douglas tires (Goodyear) USA made for my pickup truck and have been satisfied with the performance and handling. I felt the soft comfortable ride first time driving with these compared the old tires it replaces.

Walmart carries a lot of good budget tires. 3 years ago, I purchased a set of 4 Douglas tires (Goodyear) USA made for my pickup truck and have been satisfied with the performance and handling. I felt the soft comfortable ride first time driving with these compared the old tires it replaces.
I think in 2019 we put a set of Falken tires on my moms mazda 626. I never drove that thing more than a couple times before we sold it last year, but they seemed like really nice tires. Definitely the quietest and smoothest set of tires we put on that car for sure. I seem to remember that set was made in Japan. I also came across Summit Ultramax AS tires, they seem to get surprisingly good reviews and they're cheap. I hate to spend a lot on a set of tires that will age out before they mileage out, but I don't want cheap junk either. I'll also be mounting and balancing them myself.

I am sold on Hankook. Got them on my Grand Marquis . I am happy with them.

I believe Mastercraft is Cooper and I will never put another set on my vehicles again.

I put a set of Goodyear Assurance tires in 225 60 17 on my 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis last November when the Black Friday sale at Walmart had them at a mere $360 for all 4 tires. One time deal for sure, but the ride and handling were much better vs the worn Michelins that were on it.

Speaking of Michelin, I put a set on my Charger for summertime use and it became a smooth highway cruiser vs the Douglas tires I had on it.

Goodyear, Michelin, Falken and Ccoper have proved to be good options my cars lately. My 2016 Ford Explorer Sport came with Hankook from the factory - and my AWD Explorer became stranded in snow that winter a couple of times. 🫤

I put a set of Goodyear Assurance tires in 225 60 17 on my 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis last November when the Black Friday sale at Walmart had them at a mere $360 for all 4 tires. One time deal for sure, but the ride and handling were much better vs the worn Michelins that were on it.

Speaking of Michelin, I put a set on my Charger for summertime use and it became a smooth highway cruiser vs the Douglas tires I had on it.

Goodyear, Michelin, Falken and Ccoper have proved to be good options my cars lately. My 2016 Ford Explorer Sport came with Hankook from the factory - and my AWD Explorer became stranded in snow that winter a couple of times. 🫤
Yup... Michelins seems to take care of a lot of ride issues that the dealer tells you..are normal...

I had a set of Mastercraft SRT Touring on an old beater I had. I honestly liked those tires. Despite all the bearing and suspension noises on that car I never heard the tires. I would buy them again. Don't know why the Cooper hate even though they're now owned by Goodyear.

The Cooper Endeavor looks to be a nice tire as well that won't break the bank. I'm looking at a set myself to throw on the Camry to replace the horrible factory Hankook's.

Great value tires have them on two cars. Just removed from my daughters Elantra after 46k miles minimal rotations no flats still didn't hit the wear bars but getting close. Extremely quiet does great in the rain but in light snow not recommend. On the tire rack website there's a full review/ comparison against other value tires and did extremely well but at a much lower price

IMG_20240210_120741720.jpg

IMG_20220201_164444832.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly.... why aren't you stopping right there? Seems like that is the one.
I figured it was, but there are so many other options in the same price range I figured I'd ask. I do not have a whole lot of wet weather driving experience with those tires on my galaxie though, I have driven it in the rain a number of times. They seem to do well with 400 + ft lbs torque in the rain with low gears and a limited slip 😅

Yea-then after you wait hours (at Walmart) for them to be installed you can then post the obligatory gripe thread on this forum.

Yea-then after you wait hours (at Walmart) for them to be installed you can then post the obligatory gripe thread on this forum.
I picked up a tire changing machine today and have a bubble balancer on order. Tired of waiting for appointments and $22 to mount and balance a tire now no thanks, I'll do it myself. The last couple of times they stripped/lost a few of the screws for the center caps on my torq thrust II wheels.

I picked up a tire changing machine today and have a bubble balancer on order. Tired of waiting for appointments and $22 to mount and balance a tire now no thanks, I'll do it myself. The last couple of times they stripped/lost a few of the screws for the center caps on my torq thrust II wheels.
Serious question-can you get tires to spin as smooth as the commercial guys (done properly) with a bubble balancer?

Serious question-can you get tires to spin as smooth as the commercial guys (done properly) with a bubble balancer?
Not sure, going to give it a good try. I've succeeded in doing better driving front end alignments with crude alignment equipment on my garage floor than the yahoos with computerized alignment equipment have been able to achieve for me. If I can achieve that, pretty sure I can achieve decently balanced tires with the bubble balancer.

Back