CR: Best Tire Brands

Every Pirelli I've owned was better than what it replaced. I need new tires on my QX60 for the spring, I run 4 snows on alloys, so the new tires will only need to be 3 season. Leaning towards Pirelli, Continental or General. Can't stomach the Motomaster label on a sidewall even if they are made by big OEM's. (Sorry, Sorry Canadian Tire Content)
Different application, but these are the two options I'm looking at for my Jeep:
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 6.41.45 PM.jpg

The Conti stacks up VERY well:
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 6.46.17 PM.jpg

So if they make them in your size, you might want to consider it.

Only tires I was very disappointed based on CR reviews were Michelin winter tires , but that’s a long time ago ( 2000 ). Smooth, quiet but were more for a Vancouver type “

I am more than willing to pay more for tires, but they have to be better, not just as good ( quiet as possible for summer tires ).

If I didn’t need to drive so far ( and before plows are out ) to get to work, I think I am at the point where I would just take my chances with All Weather tires like the Michelin Cross climate 2 ( sorry Nokian ).

To be honest, I never used to put winter tires on my car until around 2000. Never went off the road , but.

I often see SUVs in the ditch during snow storms going to work. Curious if they even had winter tires on and relied and AWD mythology.
I bought a pair of winter tires on our '90 Mazda MPV c. 1997. (We bought the van in 1996.) The van was RWD, and light in the back (5-passenger, so equipped with a 3-person bench in the middle, rather than a rear bench). Traction was terrible with all-seasons.

I've bought complete sets of dedicated winter tires for all subsequent vehicles. Having a set of four is particularly important for FWD vehicles.

I bought a pair of winter tires on our '90 Mazda MPV c. 1997. (We bought the van in 1996.) The van was RWD, and light in the back (5-passenger, so equipped with a 3-person bench in the middle, rather than a rear bench). Traction was terrible with all-seasons.

I've bought complete sets of dedicated winter tires for all subsequent vehicles. Having a set of four is particularly important for FWD vehicles.
Only one thing worse/more embarrassing than going into the ditch in an SUV with AWD and police showing up ......going off the road while going to work as an airline pilot in uniform.

I will keep the winter tires on.

Different application, but these are the two options I'm looking at for my Jeep:
View attachment 195112

The Conti stacks up VERY well:

So if they make them in your size, you might want to consider it.
Those are the tires I was choosing for our beloved TSX. Costco has $60 off on the Michelins so I ordered a set.
Our GS loves the Pilot Sport 4S. I bet the All Season tire is almost as good in our real world driving. Can't wait to get them as the Bridgestone Serenity rubber is 7 years old and pretty hard.

Continental makes a great product; Wheel Works (West Coast Firestone dealer) was just too much more all in.
1703721902477.jpg

Love my Michelin CrossClimate 2 even with price increase.

Driving skill plus decent all-seasons on my Honda Pilot and have no issue driving in any conditions to ski mountains with roads in abysmal condition.
You are tempting me.
My car isn't as heavy as your pilot ( but I don't deal with high terrain ) , but I hear what you're saying ( driver ).
I am going to put those tires on one of our Civics this spring ( needs new all season tires ) and keep them on during next winter to experiment.

Michelin has the largest R&D budget of any tire manufacturer and it shows. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. I've never been dissatisfied with a Michelin or Continental tire I've purchased. Can't say the same for Bridgestone.

You forgot Armstrong.
The Armstrong brand name was purchased a few years ago by a company that is using it now for one of their lines of made in Asia (I think Thailand) tires. Probably not a bad marketing idea but haven't seen any reviews on how the tires are performing and how they might compare to their other brands. (e.g. Forceum)

Agreed. It isn't about the brand, but about the performance.

I have no experience with Vredestein, but I would have to say that the tires I have been most happy with have been Continental, Michelin, and Pirelli. So the CR statement rings true for me.

The local Point S indi tire shop is big on Nokian. When the Continental Control Contact Sport tires on my E350 were due for replacement, the store owner recommended the Nokian One, as what he felt would be an upgrade from the Continental. They are my first set of Nokian tires. I have been mostly satisfied with the One tires, but not necessarily wowed. Would I put Nokian in my top 3? Not yet.
I’m becoming a big Nokian fan. Their ATs have been great for my uses.

Honestly though, most major tire companies are making good tires. Continental (and General), Michelin (and BFG), Bridgestone (and Firestone), Cooper, Toyo, Pirelli, and even budget basement Falken and Nexen all have competitive offerings.

Back