I've got film!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried Lucas oil synthetic stabilizer on a few cars occasionally over the years. I got a great deal on a gallon of the stuff. However I completely stopped using this stabilizer mostly because of all the negativity that it gets here on Bitog. I understand the argument that it contains no additives so it 'waters' down good quality oils that have these additives. I see the point and I've stopped using it.

I still have some in a jug. A couple of days ago I put about one or two quarts in my '95 Geo Metro that is on her last legs. She's guzzling about a quart of oil every hundred miles which has damaged the cat converter. I've been using used oil from my other car. I barely drive the Metro, it's strictly an emergency vehicle when my other car is in the shop. I'm a delivery driver so I gotta have a backup.

Yesterday before going to work I checked the oil. Sure enough It was down to the last half inch on the stick. She needs another couple of quarts at least. But what I also saw stunned me. There was a visible film of filthy oil that went right up to the 'full' line and then stopped. The oil that I have in the engine is so filthy it acts like a dye. It clearly shows up in the film that was left on the oil stick. I've never seen this before.

So I'm assuming this is the 'film' that Lucas claims that it leaves on all engine parts thereby reducing wear on cold start ups. Just thought you all might be interested in hearing this. I'm really not for or against this product, but what I saw impressed me. Any thoughts?

All oil leaves a film. Lucas has a tackifier in it (like chain and bar lube) which causes it to "cling" and subsequently the film it leaves is heavier, which is likely what you saw.

This isn't an advantage unless your engine is chainsaw.

Blow by could be causing oil to by pushed up the dipstick route, where it drains back down, keeping the dipstick wet even when the oil level is low. No magic here.

I totally understand your point. However, This film has never occurred before I tried the Lucas Stabilizer. Trust me, when I'm running her I have to check the oil every day. Consumption is that bad...

Last edited:
Lucas might reduce oil consumption. Considering you are only trying to get it to last longer and its on its last legs, its not crazy to continue using to see if it reduces your need to top up.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Blow by could be causing oil to by pushed up the dipstick route, where it drains back down, keeping the dipstick wet even when the oil level is low. No magic here.
Originally Posted By: dino33
I totally understand your point. However, This film has never occurred before I tried the Lucas Stabilizer. Trust me, when I'm running her I have to check the oil every day. Consumption is that bad...

Its probably blowby , and now its with a much heavier viscosity than you had before. Just a much thicker oil.
If it keeps oil in it, its better than no oil at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
All oil leaves a film. Lucas has a tackifier in it (like chain and bar lube) which causes it to "cling" and subsequently the film it leaves is heavier, which is likely what you saw.

+1

Nothing Lucas will never go anywhere near my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

+1

Nothing Lucas will never go anywhere near my vehicles.

Same here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back