HPL EC treatment started. 2007 Camry 2AZ-FE 153k consumption.

At some point I will probably give it a shot, but I am admittedly terrified of hydrolocking the thing since I do still use her as my daily beater. I have watched enough videos where people either use a vacuum (which I suppose I could rig up some piping on my handheld shop vac to accomplish that) or cranking it with the plugs out to expel any extra liquid on top of the pistons... But I'm still not fond of the whole idea. With my luck I will miss something.
shop vac with a piece of tubing taped on the end is what i used to get it all out, spun it over on the starter then put plugs back in it. no issues 6k miles later and it improved oil consumption dramatically on our honda K24. make sure you’re somewhere well ventilated as the fumes when pouring in hot are very strong. the exhaust will also be smoking white and have a strong odor to it for a little while afterwards.

shop vac with a piece of tubing taped on the end is what i used to get it all out, spun it over on the starter then put plugs back in it. no issues 6k miles later and it improved oil consumption dramatically on our honda K24. make sure you’re somewhere well ventilated as the fumes when pouring in hot are very strong. the exhaust will also be smoking white and have a strong odor to it for a little while afterwards.
It looks like it comes in 15 ounce cans, so do you mind sharing what procedure you used? 4.25 ounces into each cylinder, manually rotate it x number of times every 6/12/24 hours, then repeat for as long as desired? Then suck out any remainder on top of the pistons before draining the oil? I see some people take it out for a drive before draining the oil, but I think I would rather not have that stuff flowing throughout the engine/seals/etc.

Edit: For everyone, I suppose, I have also seen comments about how the B12 can drastically reduce compression afterwards since it strips away all of the oil from the cylinder walls and compression rings. Is there a preventative solution for this?

Last edited:
It looks like it comes in 15 ounce cans, so do you mind sharing what procedure you used? 4.25 ounces into each cylinder, manually rotate it x number of times every 6/12/24 hours, then repeat for as long as desired? Then suck out any remainder on top of the pistons before draining the oil? I see some people take it out for a drive before draining the oil, but I think I would rather not have that stuff flowing throughout the engine/seals/etc.
i got the big “suv” sized can and just poured it by eye ball into each cylinder. i did it with the engine as hot as possible. drove it, then parked and pulled coils and plugs to pour it in, it will boil like crazy! i kept topping up the cylinders until my bottle was empty. i let it soak for ~4ish hours before sucking out the remaining B12 with the shop vac. turned it over on starter then put the plugs in. took forever to start and sounded like it had no compression but it finally started.

after the piston soak i immediately did a 20 min at 2k rpm EPR soak then dropped the oil.

Last edited:

Edit: For everyone, I suppose, I have also seen comments about how the B12 can drastically reduce compression afterwards since it strips away all of the oil from the cylinder walls and compression rings. Is there a preventative solution for this?
To help with the dry cylinders put like a teaspoon of motor oil in each cylinder. Do these toyotas have dished pistons? Sometimes dished pistons make it harder to get oil to the rings (you have to add extra and then suck some back out)

You can use some fogging oil that is used when storing equipment.

Add a few oz to each cylinder, let it soak, turn the motor by hand every few hours. I put a towel over the top of the motor to help reduce evaporation. Add more as needed for however long you do the soak. When done turn the motor over with the plugs out to blow the cylinders out. Add your plugs and let it crank as it will take a bit to start but it will. Change the oil after that and be on your way.

Add a few oz to each cylinder, let it soak, turn the motor by hand every few hours. I put a towel over the top of the motor to help reduce evaporation. Add more as needed for however long you do the soak. When done turn the motor over with the plugs out to blow the cylinders out. Add your plugs and let it crank as it will take a bit to start but it will. Change the oil after that and be on your way.
With ~quart residual, after a soak procedure I dump the oil and add some sacrificial oil from the clearance stash for a short idle, and then change the oil again.

Now you have a fresher start

Reactions: wlk
Back