Red Light And Speed Camera Tickets.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Plumber
Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I'm a pretty safe driver (exception for a couple of DUI's) and average about one Red Light ticket per year.

I actually LOL'ed!

Me too!

Me three.

vern, that doesn't matter. Whoever, owns the car receives the ticket.r2, in Chicago the police do very little traffic violations. I guess the police have more important things. 901, I was in the "wrong place at the wrong time".

You do get the ticket, then you go to court Judge will throw it out, unless they have photo of driver.

They must prove it was YOU that ran the red light, that is why they need the drivers photo.

Be prepared to challenge the evidence against you. In court, ask questions like:
-How can you tell this is my car from this fuzzy picture?
-When was the last time the camera was checked to make sure it’s working properly?
-Is it possible the car ahead of me triggered the camera and it was that car, not mine, that ran the light?

-If possible, bring a witness who can tell the court you weren’t in the area where the offense happened, This is called an alibi

Last edited:
vern, I say it again. It doesn't matter in Chicago. The only defense is if the car is stolen. The one good thing is these "hassle tickets" are treated more as a parking violation and not a moving violation.

vern, I say it again. It doesn't matter in Chicago. The only defense is if the car is stolen. The one good thing is these "hassle tickets" are treated more as a parking violation and not a moving violation.

Just telling you my experiences, a clean record also helps.

Not only have I had a ticket dropped, I also had the pleasure of getting a call from the Joliet Police Dept.... A vehicle matching my truck color AND PLATES ran a stopped school bus, I have never been in Joliet, and the investigator dropped the case, citing it as school bus driver "error".

I don't think either is an invasion of privacy since you're out in public, and by your exercise of your privilege to drive, are displaying an identifying number on your plate.

I do think red light cameras are unsafe. Speed cameras on the other hand,while a nuisance, are just enforcement of a rule. That said, there are enough inattentive drivers that while a forced stop is not required (my issue with stoplight cams), there can be a large speed delta..

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Just remember they MUST have a picture of YOU behind the wheel.

Without a photo of you behind the wheel it will not hold up in court... but many pay the ticket cause they KNOW they are guilty.

Actually a Cop needs to serve you it and since it was sent via the mail, tell the judge to "dismiss it with Prejudice"

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
vern, that doesn't matter. Whoever, owns the car receives the ticket.r2, in Chicago the police do very little traffic violations. I guess the police have more important things. 901, I was in the "wrong place at the wrong time".

You do get the ticket, then you go to court Judge will throw it out, unless they have photo of driver.

They must prove it was YOU that ran the red light, that is why they need the drivers photo.

Be prepared to challenge the evidence against you. In court, ask questions like:
-How can you tell this is my car from this fuzzy picture?
-When was the last time the camera was checked to make sure it’s working properly?
-Is it possible the car ahead of me triggered the camera and it was that car, not mine, that ran the light?

-If possible, bring a witness who can tell the court you weren’t in the area where the offense happened, This is called an alibi

How it works in Florida is that the owner is cited unless you(owner) provide an affidavit as to who was driving other than yourself. If you don't provide it or don't know who was driving then you loose in court.

I just lost a red light traffic court case. We were moving my shop and either my father or wife was driving my truck. And since I couldn't rat out which one was driving at the time, even thought there was no evidence I was driving and I submitted and affidavit to that affect, I got the ticket/fine. It was upheld by the hearing officer.

Thieving revenue chasing scum! If it was safety driven they would never shorten the yellow times like the do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3311

Thieving revenue chasing scum! If it was safety driven they would never shorten the yellow times like the do.

Exactly, the private companies want to issue as many tickets as possible. Safety be d*mned,

In highschool there was a problem down a stretch of road with speeding. So rhey put up one of the first portable unmanned " this is your speed" signs. Apparently they never studied adolesent psych. It was perfectly positioned at the end of a quarter mile of road. Needless to say... 55-60-70 mph was flashing on it after school let out as we began to play.

I only text in the car while eating a sandwich and tuning the radio. I only get about 2 speeding tickets a year so all in all, I'm a pretty good driver...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Have you ever had someone decide that they were going to lock it up a few feet (ok, probably more like 20') from the white line at an intersection, as soon as the light turns yellow?

That's happened often enough. Driving taxi back in the day let me see all kinds of things. Lately, it's not so bad. I pick and choose the hours I drive, and most of it is at night and not during rush hour, so I don't get the see a lot of the high traffic type of bonehead moves.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I saw them well in advance, but what I didn't expect, is that the light changed from yellow almost immediately to red!

Fortunately, here, they haven't played any shenanigans with yellow light length. Additionally, the red light cameras aren't designed to go off unless you enter the intersection after it's gone red. So, there's a good deal of tolerance, and no silly short yellow games. This, I can live with.

As for people talking about revenue, there are enough foolish drivers out there for enforcement to make a pile of money without making "revenue traps." Any jurisdiction that makes revenue traps deserves to be outed on the matter and face the consequences. We had one little town in this province that had a municipal police force of one man, who was to be out there writing as many tickets as he could for people out of town, for 5 km/h over the limit, and so forth. Fortunately, that racket got closed down by the province.

JHZR2: Ironically, I'd rather see red light tickets than photo radar. But, as I've pointed out, our red light tickets aren't exactly "out to get you," and our highways aren't so busy as to preclude other speed enforcement methods. Where the red light cameras have been placed, we needed some sort of enforcement there.

Our current stat Govt campaigned on speed cameras being "revenue raisers", and stated that when they got in, they would reduce them to "blackspots"...now have all sorts, more fixed ones, more point to points, and more sneaky mobile ones at the bottome of hills on straight bits of road etc.

As to red lights, I've changed my commute to enter the highway on an unlighted intersection.

Nothing puckers your freckle more than the noise of an 18 wheeler changing down 2-3 gears and accelerating at an intersection, passing through 3 seconds after you got green.

At the unlighted intersection, they are driving normally.

There are places for red light cameras to stop stupid "knights of the road" killing people.

Many of them have been shut off here. I've been fortunate and haven't gotten nailed by one,,,,,,,,,,yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back