Cops and traffic law enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there ANY areas where cops enforce traffic laws anymore? They don't do it in my area, or anywhere within a state or two of my area. I don't get why they don't. Tickets = fines, which = revenue for police departments. Drivers in my local area are absolutely nuts and pay no attention whatsoever to traffic laws. Speeding here isn't 5 over the limit, it's 15, 20, or more over the limit. Cops could literally just park where they could pull drivers over and write tickets all day long. And it isn't just the speeding, it's red light running, tailgating, no signaling, cutting people off, and all of this greatly contributes to road rage. I know traffic enforcement isn't their only job, but in recent years it seems like it's not part of their at all anymore...

Are there ANY areas where cops enforce traffic laws anymore? They don't do it in my area, or anywhere within a state or two of my area. I don't get why they don't. Tickets = fines, which = revenue for police departments. Drivers in my local area are absolutely nuts and pay no attention whatsoever to traffic laws. Speeding here isn't 5 over the limit, it's 15, 20, or more over the limit. Cops could literally just park where they could pull drivers over and write tickets all day long. And it isn't just the speeding, it's red light running, tailgating, no signaling, cutting people off, and all of this greatly contributes to road rage. I know traffic enforcement isn't their only job, but in recent years it seems like it's not part of their at all anymore...

People do tend to vote with their right foot.

As someone uneducated in this topic completely, just a common citizen,

traffic stops look dangerous as can be. Side of the road, no or minimal protection, don't know who you're walking up to and what state they're in.

I understand that LEOs sign up knowing the danger.

Well my wife got pulled over twice this week.. so yes... I was wondering the same thing guess I shouldn't of!
Sounds like she's one of the lead foots...you should move here where she could drive as fast as she wants and never get stopped...

As someone uneducated in this topic completely, just a common citizen,

traffic stops look dangerous as can be. Side of the road, no or minimal protection, don't know who you're walking up to and what state they're in.

I understand that LEOs sign up knowing the danger.
So cops should avoid all situations that could be dangerous no matter what? Isn't danger part of their job?

There is a long, straight 4 lane with too low speed limit of 45mph here where the cops sit all the time and pick up speeders. Its an engineered speed trap.

Same 4 lane road, 5 miles closer to the city, the shoulders go away, the traffic tripples, the number of entrances in and out more than triples and the speed limit increases to 55mph. All kinds of crazies and accidents to be found. Never seen a cop in that part in my 10 years driving it.

So, you tell me - do we have cops enforcing traffic laws or not. I am unsure.

So cops should avoid all situations that could be dangerous no matter what? Isn't danger part of their job?

No saying that at all. Just making a statement.

Minimal risk vs reward.

Speeding/wreckless driving can certainly cause harm, however, it's not necessarily immanent. However, walk into an hostage situation, domestic dispute, active shooter situation, there is an immanent threat to everyone. The reward is higher, stopping mass casualties.

Not condoning one way or another, just a statement that is you break it down that way, it makes some sense, to me at least.

Sounds like she's one of the lead foots...you should move here where she could drive as fast as she wants and never get stopped...
Yeah she did say she'd been driving too fast lately. But the 2nd time was for the license plate light out, I fixed those not long ago after she got pulled over in another vehicle for the same thing. The speeding one though I was behind her about 1/4 mile and she wasn't going as fast as they said, speeding yes since we were going about the same. She was giving me a hard time about my aggressive driving to, can't help it. When drivers try to kill me on a regular basis on the bike I tend to return the favor.

There is a long, straight 4 lane with too low speed limit of 45mph here where the cops sit all the time and pick up speeders. Its an engineered speed trap.

Same 4 lane road, 5 miles closer to the city, the shoulders go away, the traffic tripples, the number of entrances in and out more than triples and the speed limit increases to 55mph. All kinds of crazies and accidents to be found. Never seen a cop in that part in my 10 years driving it.

So, you tell me - do we have cops enforcing traffic laws or not. I am unsure.
It sounds like they do in your area. That would never happen here...

It sounds like they do in your area. That would never happen here...
They do in the part that generates money and I have never seen an accident in - is my point.

The part where all the accidents are - they never do.

I wonder why :unsure:

My state decided to defund the police. Now there's not enough to go around and minor traffic violations are ignored .

My wife called 911 about 5 years ago. Took the cops 12 hrs to show up! The officer said he was taking the calls in order and just got to ours .

Fortunately my wife overreacted and the emergency wasn't too bad.

Yeah she did say she'd been driving too fast lately. But the 2nd time was for the license plate light out, I fixed those not long ago after she got pulled over in another vehicle for the same thing. The speeding one though I was behind her about 1/4 mile and she wasn't going as fast as they said, speeding yes since we were going about the same. She was giving me a hard time about my aggressive driving to, can't help it. When drivers try to kill me on a regular basis on the bike I tend to return the favor.
I cringe whenever I hear somebody say something like they're being aggressive with other drivers while riding a bike. I never understood why guys do this. When/if I have encounters with someone driving a car or truck while I'm riding, I get the heck away from them as fast as possible, which is easy to do on a motorcycle. They outweigh me by several tons, so I'm not doing anything to make them become even more aggressive...

Personally I'd much rather law enforcement be focused on criminals (violent crime, drugs, people trafficking etc.) than people speeding or running red lights. I agree they both need addressed but IMO focusing on crime is more impactful in society than driving issues. If we had unlimited budgets and could hire more officers than fine focus on all of it, but like anything else, limited resources means something has to give.

Just my $0.02

Personally I'd much rather law enforcement be focused on criminals (violent crime, drugs, people trafficking etc.) than people speeding or running red lights. I agree they both need addressed but IMO focusing on crime is more impactful in society than driving issues. If we had unlimited budgets and could hire more officers than fine focus on all of it, but like anything else, limited resources means something has to give.

Just my $0.02
Is there really that much crime taking place that traffic enforcement can't be done? I know our local police force has the manpower to do it, they just don't..

Is there really that much crime taking place that traffic enforcement can't be done? I know our local police force has the manpower to do it, they just don't..
Is the sheriff elected?

In our speed trap above, its state troopers. Its never the county sheriff which is elected.

Just my $0.02
Red light running is directly related to accidents. Accidents are one factor that contribute to higher insurance rates. If your rates haven't gone - they will.

I live on the corner of a 2-lane road and it used to be that I'd see someone pulled over on that corner at least twice a week, almost always at night.

I haven't seen anyone pulled over on that corner in at least 2 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back