Red Light And Speed Camera Tickets.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I'm a pretty safe driver (exception for a couple of DUI's) and average about one Red Light ticket per year.

Yeah, under no stretch of the imagination are you a "pretty safe driver". You have no business having a driver's license.

I don't need the "holier than know" speeches. I paid the consequences of the DUI's. Fines, community service, the whole nine yards. These Red Light cameras are unconstitutional!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Without a photo of you behind the wheel it will not hold up in court... but many pay the ticket cause they KNOW they are guilty.

Here, they charge you as the registered owner responsible for the vehicle. There are no points on the license, because there is no proof you were driving, and it isn't a moving violation in that case. However, you will be convicted, even if you go to trial.

Here, it's helped matters at some intersections. There aren't a lot of red light cameras, and they can be very beneficial if placed judiciously. A couple intersections here were very bad for people trying to extend the yellow light five or more seconds beyond its switch to red, particularly during rush hour. Obviously, that's a hazard. In those particular intersections, it's helped. There was a spike in rear end collisions, but an overall lowering of collisions, particularly T-bones and the like. Not rear ending the car in front of you is really a no brainer. If the light is red and the car in front of you isn't moving, it's time to think about stopping.

For photo radar, the same thing applies. If you're using it in places where it's very difficult or unsafe to enforce and speeding is creating a hazard, fine.

motor_oil_madman: Those are usually sensors to detect when a vehicle is at the intersection, to ensure lights don't change needlessly. They are quite helpful on side streets than intersect high traffic streets, and at night.

I don't need the "holier than know" speeches. I paid the consequences of the DUI's. Fines, community service, the whole nine yards. These Red Light cameras are unconstitutional!

That's funny, coming from the guy who chose to drive drunk multiple times.

On a side note, it's "holier than thou". The phrase "holier than know" makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
I'm a pretty safe driver (exception for a couple of DUI's) and average about one Red Light ticket per year.

I actually LOL'ed!

Right, probably irrelevant, out of context, and makes one scratch his head wondering why the OP shared that bit of information.

OP, serious question; no sarcasm or disrespect intended: had you typically been drinking when you accidentally ran the red lights?

These Red Light cameras are unconstitutional!

No, they're not. I was watching the U.S. case law on this stuff years ago. As was already stated, you have no expectation of privacy on public roadways. It's no different than a police dash cam recording your license plate number as a matter of him patrolling in close proximity to you. But, actually, it is different, since the red light camera is catching you doing something you shouldn't be doing, and ignores everything else. The dash cam is indiscriminate and depends on retention rules.

gather, yeah I was "buzzed" running the lights. I regret sharing all my details in my original post. I've changed my driving and drinking habits to a safe level.

So you've gotten a DUI more than once, obviously driven drunk more times than that since you've only been caught a couple times, and you regularly run red lights? AND you still think you're a pretty safe driver?

It's too bad you still have a drivers license. They should have taken that away.

They did take my license away. 3 months the first time and 1 year the second time. I was forced to take the CTA subway and buses the entire time!

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Without a photo of you behind the wheel it will not hold up in court... but many pay the ticket cause they KNOW they are guilty.

Here, they charge you as the registered owner responsible for the vehicle. There are no points on the license, because there is no proof you were driving, and it isn't a moving violation in that case. However, you will be convicted, even if you go to trial.

Here, it's helped matters at some intersections. There aren't a lot of red light cameras, and they can be very beneficial if placed judiciously. A couple intersections here were very bad for people trying to extend the yellow light five or more seconds beyond its switch to red, particularly during rush hour. Obviously, that's a hazard. In those particular intersections, it's helped. There was a spike in rear end collisions, but an overall lowering of collisions, particularly T-bones and the like. Not rear ending the car in front of you is really a no brainer. If the light is red and the car in front of you isn't moving, it's time to think about stopping.

For photo radar, the same thing applies. If you're using it in places where it's very difficult or unsafe to enforce and speeding is creating a hazard, fine.

motor_oil_madman: Those are usually sensors to detect when a vehicle is at the intersection, to ensure lights don't change needlessly. They are quite helpful on side streets than intersect high traffic streets, and at night.

Have you ever had someone decide that they were going to lock it up a few feet (ok, probably more like 20') from the white line at an intersection, as soon as the light turns yellow? I've only had it happen once, but even I thought that both of us has plenty of time to get through the intersection, since we were both nearly into it anyway. I didn't have to lock it up quite as badly as the guy behind me did (he was right on my [censored], hoping to get through, too,) but my brain took a second to process such a ridiculous reaction.

When I was visiting DE 5-6 years ago I noticed they had installed giant lights and cameras along one stretch of busy highway since I had last been there. I saw them well in advance, but what I didn't expect, is that the light changed from yellow almost immediately to red! I was the only one on the road, late at night, doing almost exactly the speed limit, luckily, because I was very near the intersection when the light turned yellow and then red, and I braked as hard as my STI would brake, which was enough to stop me just past the white line.

The light directly above and behind me flashed brightly for a second or more, and then extinguished. Not tonight, DE, not tonight, "I thought to myself." In all honesty, I was pretty mad that transition time between yellow and red was so short, because the intersection is actually pretty large!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
All you people with your holier than know attitudes.

The 'holier than thou' chastisement is reserved for pretentious posts by people who more than likely make the same mistakes they're flaming other for.

In this case, however, if we, um, don't drink and drive, then we ARE, in the sense of the saying, literally "holier than though." He didn't admit to a drinking problem - he admitted to a drinking problem AND driving while buzzed.

OP, please make sure to seek help. AA isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean that you can't find a more appropriate sponsor or form of help for what appears to be an obvious problem. For all we know, you subconsciously did let slip that you drink and drive, hoping that we'd call you on it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

The 'holier than thou' chastisement is reserved for pretentious posts by people who more than likely make the same mistakes they're flaming other for.

In this case, however, if we, um, don't drink and drive, then we ARE, in the sense of the saying, literally "holier than though." He didn't admit to a drinking problem - he admitted to a drinking problem AND driving while buzzed.

Well that bad joke went over your head.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger

I actually LOL'ed!

Me too!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Well that bad joke went over your head.

The interesting thing, is that I just got warned on another forum for not following up a post with an emoticon to ensure every one was clear on the facetious intent of my post. I'd use the "cheers" emoticon here, but it's not really appropriate, is it?

As long as the timings of the light transitions are legal, i don't get how it's unconstitutional.

Simple question. Did you run the red light? If the answer is yes, then you got caught.

Perhaps the red lights do not promote safety, but where is it required that traffic laws must always be about safety?

The premise that traffic laws are invalid because they aren't about safety is completely faulty.

If you get up in arms about this, there are TONS of laws that are unfair to particular party or another and don't accomplish their stated goal.
There are people in prison serving time for actions that are now considered legal.

Chicago has a short yellow light compared to the suburbs. It barely meets the Federal requirements. I view this tickets as "hassle tickets". I have a really good radar detector but that only works on the highway.

I do think the red light cameras are a bit of a scam. The private companies find a way to make them profitable even if that means shortening the yellow light time.

The traffic signal hasn't changed in what - more than half a century? Better programming and/or a timer or blinking green before yellow would give motorists a chance to prepare for stopping on red. Here in the city, I look at the timer on the pedestrian crosswalk to know if I should prepare to stop or be able to cruise through the intersection without stopping.

dish, well now they have added a 20 second count down for pedestrians and bike riders. I do think that helps a bit. The next ticket I get, I will take a picture of a $100 bill and mailing it to them. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back