Signal Light on Green

Reading the "When do you use your turn signals" thread got me thinking about a pet peeve.
Consider a road with two lanes in each direction and no dedicated turning lane. At an intersection with traffic lights, I'm seeing a lot of drivers in the left lane wait to turn on their signal light only when the light turns green. It completely removes the ability to gauge their intention to turn left and leaves you stranded behind them...waiting until the oncoming traffic is clear for them to clear the intersection or there is room to move into the right lane and go straight through. Is this being taught? signals show intent. Why not use them to show your intent while waiting on a red light.

I always turn it on in those instances, if for nothing else but to get the guy's attention behind me, in case brake lights go unnoticed while he surfs the net on his phone.

Mine are loud even with the radio on and the aftermarket exhaust the previous owner installed. Lights here can be red for up to 5 minutes. Also, I watch the other routes while sitting at the light; if I think an alternate path has more favorable conditions, I'm going that way.

Yes, and others can only use turn signals during the act of turning (I'm doing this) but not during the planning stage (I will do this).
Or the signal remains on after the turn (I did that).

Last edited:
Reactions: SR5

Attachments

• Model T Turn Signal Accessory.jpg
    Model T Turn Signal Accessory.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 9
Reading the "When do you use your turn signals" thread got me thinking about a pet peeve.
Consider a road with two lanes in each direction and no dedicated turning lane. At an intersection with traffic lights, I'm seeing a lot of drivers in the left lane wait to turn on their signal light only when the light turns green. It completely removes the ability to gauge their intention to turn left and leaves you stranded behind them...waiting until the oncoming traffic is clear for them to clear the intersection or there is room to move into the right lane and go straight through. Is this being taught? signals show intent. Why not use them to show your intent while waiting on a red light.
Ah so they are waiting at the red to make a left with no signal...yeah, I would always signal at the red waiting and I see why that irritates you. Really the only time I don't like to sit with my turns on is when I'm in line at a left only/right only lane (separate lane) and I'm not first in line (to make sure others around the intersection, if they dont' know, realize that it's a turn lane). If I'm in a line of 15 cars waiting at a red to make a left and I'm not first, I'll keep mine off (after I signalled of course to get into that lane!) so I don't have to listen to it click click click while I wait there b/c it's not helping anyone. I will typically turn it back on when I start moving.

If you have a dedicated turn lane, no problem like you say. It's when the left lane goes straight and allows left turns and they are turning left, but leave the signal off until the light turns green. Then they signal and inch forward to wait for a chance to turn, while I could have been in the right lane and drive right on, if I'd known.

I see that a lot. Well - it's a bit complicated though. There's this one intersection where it's actually two lanes, where one is left/straight and the other right/straight. I typically go straight on that road but have to gauge whether or not I get behind someone on the left without the blinkers on but who might be turning left, vs trying to pass on the right but dealing with someone on the left lane going straight. It can also theoretically be both lanes merging into one and playing chicken.

If I get there before anyone else, I prefer being in the left lane to go straight because its a straighter path. But when I've gone that way, another driver from the right lane has come close to hitting me thinking I was probably going to make a left turn without signaling (or signaling late).

Some folks act like the turn signal bulbs cost thousands of dollars to replace so they use them as little as possible.

I see that a lot. Well - it's a bit complicated though. There's this one intersection where it's actually two lanes, where one is left/straight and the other right/straight. I typically go straight on that road but have to gauge whether or not I get behind someone on the left without the blinkers on but who might be turning left, vs trying to pass on the right but dealing with someone on the left lane going straight. It can also theoretically be both lanes merging into one and playing chicken.
We had one of those and they ruined it by painting arrows.

In the old days "everyone knew" that left and straight would wait at the light, but people left the right lane open for people to make rights on red. But once the light turned green, there was free license to jump over into the right lane and go straight, bypassing the left-turners.

Some dumb old bitty got confused by this "help each other out" policy and lobbied the town to paint arrows. They did a left-straight combo with exclusive right. Now, the first guy in line waits to turn left and nobody dares to pass them because an arrow says not to. Traffic's way worse.

Because here in New Jersey showing signals shows weakness. Consider approaching a traffic light in New Jersey on a two lane road. The left lane is a dedicated left turn only lane governed by a traffic signal. But the right lane is a free for all allowing for straight ahead traffic AND the optional right on red. If you intend to turn right but are not comfortable doing that while you have the red you have the legal option to not do so. But if you tip your hand early in the process and put your right turn signal on as a courtesy you are hounded by those following to make the right on red FOR you so they can proceed straight ahead. I simply don’t show my hand. I arrive at the the right lane red light with no indication of which way I’m going, right or straight. When I get the green I make my right. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Frustrating , i don’t get peeved by aggressive or crazy drivers as long as they signal their intentions. The worst drivers don’t use them making it unpredictable what is happening.

I agree. I’m a big fan of turn indicators. I only use the aforementioned technique at a particular intersection that i am unfortunate to encounter occasionally. It seems to have a calming effect. There are so many of us out there anxious to drive more than one vehicle at a time.

Back