Valvoline Maxlife ATF(RED) VS. Valvoline Full Synthetic(BLUE)

Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF(Red) VS. Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF(Blue).

I have been using the Maxlife many times when it was $17 per gallon at Walmart, but lately the price of the Maxlife went up($24 on Amazon and Walmart). Furthermore, I noticed this Blue bottled ATF that is labeled as "Import Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic" for $17 on Amazon.

I have the Maxlife in my 2001 4Runner(tranny and ps), and 2020 Pilot 6 speed.

Considering the price difference, would it be safe to use the cheaper Blue bottle with the Maxlife that is currently in both cars? I’m due for a tranny drain and fill.

Red Bottle: https://a.co/d/7AR7eyT

Blue Bottle: https://a.co/d/8HeIyPx

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0816.jpeg

One is a tad thicker than the other. I can’t remember which one. I thought it was MVI?

I’d use that regardless. What is the spec? Toyota T-IV (Mobil 3309) is carried by both as well as others. I only know this because of her Volvo.

I'd use the blue jug in the 2001 4Runner but I'd use the red jug in the 2020 Pilot.

The blue jug stuff replaces T-IV which most likely was used in a 2001 Toyota because the lower
viscosity stuff wasn't introduced yet. The 2020 most likely takes the lower viscosity Honda fluid which
the red jug Valvoline is 'recommended for'.

PS: The red jug Maxlife would work in both vehicles but you can save a few bucks using the blue jug
IMV in the Pilot.

This just me… And I’m not saying I am right or correct about this… I mean that sincerely. This is just my way of seeing this.

But I would run the Valvoline blue import instead of the “ universal “ ATF and CVT new red Maxlife ATF in an older Honda or Toyota.

The friction characteristics are very different between an old school transmission and a CVT. Coefficient of friction for regular ATFs vs traction coefficient for a CVT.

I actually just bought a 4 qt container of Valvoline EP ATF for the lady’s 2004 RAV 4… Specifically because it’s NOT for any CVT transmissions. Only recommended for Toyota WS, T-IV Honda DW-1 Dexron VI and Mercin LV etc etc transmissions.

IMG_0538.jpeg

Last edited:
Valvoline has really muddy up the choices, my old favorite was the red bottle for many things like trans and power steering.
Instead of helping, I am more confused than ever. I might try the Valvoline EP ATF.

o_O

How is it confusing?

Well the red Maxlife that is “ good “ with regular ATFs and CVTs when before it was not. Now it is.

Valvoline Extended Performance is NOT for use in CVTs… But good for regular ATFs and including GM and Mercon LV, Honda DW-1 and Toyota WS, Nissan Matic W etc etc..

Valvoline Dark blue container Dexron VI and Mercon LV …And it claims to be good for some of the Japanese transmissions too… Which is understandable though…

Then you have Valvoline CVT only fluid… Which is fine.

Then you have Valvoline Import which claims many Japanese specs only…

So… yeah they have a lot of cross lap between some of their products… And some that are not.

Which one is better for dexron 3? Like for the 4t65e transmission.

My opinion…

Valvoline Dex/Merc in the dark blue container would be a very good choice.

Or Dark blue container Valvoline Dexron VI and Mercon LV would very good too.

Or if you can find it the Grey Valvoline Extended Performance ATF would be a very good choice too.

I don’t think any of those 3 would be a bad decision.

The dark blue Valvoline Dex/ Merc would just need to be changed more often vs the other 2.

Well the red Maxlife that is “ good “ with regular ATFs and CVTs when before it was not. Now it is.

Valvoline Extended Performance is NOT for use in CVTs… But good for regular ATFs and including GM and Mercon LV, Honda DW-1 and Toyota WS, Nissan Matic W etc etc..

Valvoline Dark blue container Dexron VI and Mercon LV …And it claims to be good for some of the Japanese transmissions too… Which is understandable though…

Then you have Valvoline CVT only fluid… Which is fine.

Then you have Valvoline Import which claims many Japanese specs only…

So… yeah they have a lot of cross lap between some of their products… And some that are not.
Just used Valvoline EP for the first time in my 6L80e - noticed shift improvement right away - cured mild shudder …

I wonder if Valvoline EP is Afton or Infineum?

Though both make a similar DI package that is compatible with most step shift automatics.

Valvoline Max Life uses an Afton DI package that works in both step shift automatics and CVTs, plus some extra seal conditioner. Castrol sells the same stuff, minus the extra seal conditioner. Yes, there are plenty of elastomers in a automatic transmission.

The Valvoline CVT only fluid is what I would use in a CVT, unless I needed the seal sweller for an old and problematic transmission.

The Valvoline EP ATF is what I would use in any modern & healthy step shift automatic.

As for the rest of the fluids, I would use them if I needed/wanted a licensed fluid.

Valvoline is a blender, and while they use tons of Group III / VHVI base oils, and GTL now, they make some high quality products.

Though both make a similar DI package that is compatible with most step shift automatics.

Valvoline Max Life uses an Afton DI package that works in both step shift automatics and CVTs, plus some extra seal conditioner. Castrol sells the same stuff, minus the extra seal conditioner. Yes, there are plenty of elastomers in a automatic transmission.

The Valvoline CVT only fluid is what I would use in a CVT, unless I needed the seal sweller for an old and problematic transmission.

The Valvoline EP ATF is what I would use in any modern & healthy step shift automatic.

As for the rest of the fluids, I would use them if I needed/wanted a licensed fluid.

Valvoline is a blender, and while they use tons of Group III / VHVI base oils, and GTL now, they make some high quality products.
SDS has the info.

Interesting to me Autozone has the Valvoline EP ATF for $36.99 a 4 qt container. Which is actually reasonably priced given what they claim it is.

Funny because they charge 1 qt containers of that for $15.99 a quart… Heck of a price difference there.

Let me throw one more into the mix:

View attachment 213348

What's the deal with this one?
Comparing the "Typical Properties" of the pictured EP vs MLFSMV side by side from their Product Info Sheet pdfs. the ONLY difference looking 'perhaps' significant between the two is the Brookfield Viscosity, 11k for ML vs <10K for EP. Otoh, KV40, KV100, and VI are identical. So for me, despite the EP marketing not enough difference to pay price premium for EP vs ML and change from my long time use of MLMV.

That said, despite what MLMV bottle says now I would not use it for CVT. Valvoline makes a dedicated CVT fluid in blue bottle which I have used/am using in Nissan application.

Last edited:
Back