Cops and traffic law enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me this got much worse after pandemic lock downs. I was an "essential" worker and I observed how aggressive drivers were once the traffic returned to normal. Not to sound sexist but young/middle aged women with a car seat in their CUV's are among the most dangerous right now, Between speeding (probably 90+ mph on the interstate) and cell phones they take the cake away from teenage and senile elderly drivers.....at least in my area.

The last ticket I got was from speed camera on the freeway 101 N. in Scottsdale, Arizona. I had the cruise set just a hair over the legal limit but as I was near my destination, I disengage the cruise control and took a phone call, big mistake; when I’m on the phone I tend to gradually increase the throttle. Made me mad as hell because I drove 180-miles with the cruise engaged. Went to traffic school to kept it off my record that was nearly 10-years ago and I can’t remember any other tickets within the last 30-years.

Last edited:
It seems to me this got much worse after pandemic lock downs. I was an "essential" worker and I observed how aggressive drivers were once the traffic returned to normal. Not to sound sexist but young/middle aged women with a car seat in their CUV's are among the most dangerous right now, Between speeding (probably 90+ mph on the interstate) and cell phones they take the cake away from teenage and senile elderly drivers.....at least in my area.
Around here it's people driving Chargers, Challengers, Billy Bob pickups, and any vehicle that's all blacked out...

if u was to ask me, I think the dumb futzes on their cell phone are the biggest threat on the road..
far worse than drunk drivers, far more plentiful too.

Just had an accident near me a few nights ago. High speed was definitely a cause. The driver had to be doing over 100. The car rolled several times and hit a house even causing damage to the roof. The driver was dead on scene. Her passenger is critical in hospital.

This happens a lot.

LEO's do the job they have sworn to do but in most cases, we don't have enough of them.

If there are dangerous intersections or speeders call the local police dept. number (not 911) and request an increase in patrols; be respectful and be accurate as to the locations. It has worked beautifully for us.
Some do not go out of their way to do their job. A bad interaction with a motorist angry at being pulled over can go sideways. It is not uncommon for LEOs to be accused in those situations of all sorts of things. Little upside for the officers and potential downside.

Big ones I see red light runners. No turn signals. Lack of understanding of traffic circles. Speeding in neighborhoods. Lack of understanding of how to interact with cyclists. Left lane campers. The phone thing as I observe it has gotten much better with Carplay/Android Auto in so many vehicles. I can't tell you the last time I messed with my phone driving. Wireless AA. I rarely see folks on their phones now. Worst ticket for me? 105/65 at night on an empty highway during COVID a few years ago. Enforcement was nearly zero there for a while (I guess not that night haha) and with empty highways because everyone was working from home I can remember a lot of speeding and no left lane campers....it was glorious!

Last edited:
I'm in VA. We don't have this issue 🤣🤣🤣. Careful what you wish for.

As I mentioned previously, I haven't seen anyone pulled over on the corner near my house since before everything shut down. Prior to that I'd see someone pulled over there at least once every few days.

In general, there is much less visible traffic enforcement in Prince William County than there was prior to 2020..

As I mentioned previously, I haven't seen anyone pulled over on the corner near my house since before everything shut down. Prior to that I'd see someone pulled over there at least once every few days.

In general, there is much less visible traffic enforcement in Prince William County than there was prior to 2020..
Here in Richmond area I see plenty. Mostly highway speed traps.

I live off a major US Highway going into the mountains. There is a 4 mile canyon (4 lane though) just west of Colorado Springs where the CSP camps out all day and night, 24/7. It's a 45 mph canyon, pretty spot on, and they don't need to do anything else but write tickets. They actually run the whole highway from Colorado Springs west. Local Sheriff handles where I live and are pretty ok.

When I retired the PD in the municipality I worked for was so busy and understaffed that the officers barely had time for a meal and a bathroom break let alone traffic stops. They were running from one call to the next the entire shift. I dont think its gotten any better since then.

LEO's do the job they have sworn to do but in most cases, we don't have enough of them.

If there are dangerous intersections or speeders call the local police dept. number (not 911) and request an increase in patrols; be respectful and be accurate as to the locations. It has worked beautifully for us.
I agree. The officers who are jerks are in my experience few and far between. But today, I don’t envy their jobs. I think society has made it difficult to do them. We have a trooper friend who keeps it on the down low because he perceives there is a distrust and dislike for them. Also to your point, it seems there are more officers than needed in the suburbs and too few in the cities. I commute 3x per week through Phila and I can get to work having never seen a Phila PD (8 miles one way is through the city). I will always see them in the suburbs at school cross walks.

Speaking from experience there has never been enough officers to cover areas that need traffic enforcement. The current shortage of officers in general by all departments leaves even less on the road for traffic enforcement. Calls for service will always be more important then traffic.

To add to my other post, Police jobs are harder to fill now. Negative perceptions of police, less respect for police, tight budgets that mean lower wages and less generous benefit packages that would lure people for the job.

When I retired the PD in the municipality I worked for was so busy and understaffed that the officers barely had time for a meal and a bathroom break let alone traffic stops. They were running from one call to the next the entire shift. I dont think its gotten any better since then.
The F.H.P. has been understaffed for years. I-95 is a suicide run in Miami-Dade and Broward County. Plus there are constant shootings because of road rage. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. Red light running [and hit and run] has always been a issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back