Red Light And Speed Camera Tickets.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had them here a few years ago. Turned out they were unconstitutional with the state constitution. Traffic Fines were required to go the school system. Cost the city several million $$..

They got rid of them here in Ohio because an officer has to witness the violation, so they were NEVER LEGAL TO BEGIN WITH! I knew where they all were around here (Elmwood Place, New Miami, Middletown, Dayton), so I never got one.

They're dangerous as h*ll because here the yellow light timing has been shortened so you have to slam on your brakes when you see yellow, thus dangerous. The owner of the car is who gets the ticket and who gets dinged by the insurance company, if you want to fight it you can, good luck. This is TN.

Maybe don't run red lights. I never got what was so hard about this, especially in a city where you can't see around corners.

I don't have a problem with red light cameras or speed cameras. I don't run red lights and I don't speed. There are plenty who do, though, and I'm happy to have them fill the town's coffers for me. They decided a few years ago that they were unconstitutional, but I think that got overturned. Fayetteville had to take theirs down years ago, but they're now allowed to install them again, so they've been popping back up.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Maybe don't run red lights. I never got what was so hard about this, especially in a city where you can't see around corners.
There's a difference between intentionally running a red light and running a light because the vendor shortened the timing of the yellow to generate more tickets -- which has been admitted to happening in Chicago.

They sell license plate covers that make your plates illegible when a picture is taken from an angle (as those stoplight cameras do). You can Google these.

Now, whether or not they are legal in your state is a different story, but if it bothers you that much, it might be worth looking at.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
It is a privacy issue when my wife opens up the ticket and finds out the location I was at.

Maybe you should stop doing sketchy things that you don't want your wife to know about. I have no problem with telling my wife where I am or what I'm doing at any moment of my day.

Originally Posted By: opus1
There's a difference between intentionally running a red light and running a light because the vendor shortened the timing of the yellow to generate more tickets -- which has been admitted to happening in Chicago.

Precisely; and shortening the yellow light duration has been linked to an increase in accidents at those intersections.

I got nailed by a red light cam about 3 years ago, and although it did really annoy me at first, it had it's upside. First, I did run the light (barely). I got a nice pic of it in the mail to prove it. The saving grace was I did not have to worry about points against my license, insurance rate hikes, or bothering with defensive driving. The last moving violation I got previously was in 1987(72 in a 55) and that was a major pain dealing with for a poor college student.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
What I don't like is that these 3rd party companies get huge money contracts with cities.

+1 for the above comment. That and I also wonder how much and to whom there red light camera companies made campaign contributions to.

Some years ago city of Irvine in So Cal did a study about red light, the traffic engineer presented the accident of the previous few years. He recommended against red light camera, but increase the yellow light from 1 sec per 10 MPH speed limit to 1.5 sec, also the directions that were to change from red to green would delay 2 seconds, i.e., all directions would have red light for 2 seconds.

These changes reduced accidents by drivers running red lights to almost zero.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Without a photo of you behind the wheel it will not hold up in court... but many pay the ticket cause they KNOW they are guilty.

Here, they charge you as the registered owner responsible for the vehicle. There are no points on the license, because there is no proof you were driving, and it isn't a moving violation in that case. However, you will be convicted, even if you go to trial.

Here, it's helped matters at some intersections. There aren't a lot of red light cameras, and they can be very beneficial if placed judiciously. A couple intersections here were very bad for people trying to extend the yellow light five or more seconds beyond its switch to red, particularly during rush hour. Obviously, that's a hazard. In those particular intersections, it's helped. There was a spike in rear end collisions, but an overall lowering of collisions, particularly T-bones and the like. Not rear ending the car in front of you is really a no brainer. If the light is red and the car in front of you isn't moving, it's time to think about stopping.

For photo radar, the same thing applies. If you're using it in places where it's very difficult or unsafe to enforce and speeding is creating a hazard, fine.

motor_oil_madman: Those are usually sensors to detect when a vehicle is at the intersection, to ensure lights don't change needlessly. They are quite helpful on side streets than intersect high traffic streets, and at night.

Have you ever had someone decide that they were going to lock it up a few feet (ok, probably more like 20') from the white line at an intersection, as soon as the light turns yellow? I've only had it happen once, but even I thought that both of us has plenty of time to get through the intersection, since we were both nearly into it anyway. I didn't have to lock it up quite as badly as the guy behind me did (he was right on my [censored], hoping to get through, too,) but my brain took a second to process such a ridiculous reaction.

When I was visiting DE 5-6 years ago I noticed they had installed giant lights and cameras along one stretch of busy highway since I had last been there. I saw them well in advance, but what I didn't expect, is that the light changed from yellow almost immediately to red! I was the only one on the road, late at night, doing almost exactly the speed limit, luckily, because I was very near the intersection when the light turned yellow and then red, and I braked as hard as my STI would brake, which was enough to stop me just past the white line.

The light directly above and behind me flashed brightly for a second or more, and then extinguished. Not tonight, DE, not tonight, "I thought to myself." In all honesty, I was pretty mad that transition time between yellow and red was so short, because the intersection is actually pretty large!

That was deliberate: they frequently shorten yellow lights to raise more money!

The solution to these cameras is a good target rifle and some match-grade ammo.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Some years ago city of Irvine in So Cal did a study about red light, the traffic engineer presented the accident of the previous few years. He recommended against red light camera, but increase the yellow light from 1 sec per 10 MPH speed limit to 1.5 sec, also the directions that were to change from red to green would delay 2 seconds, i.e., all directions would have red light for 2 seconds.

But where would the revenue come from. Where would the campaign contributions come from?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
deez, do you know where I can buy these license plate covers?

Any cover that would actually works is illegal.

Mythbusters did an episode on covers/sprays etc that were supposed to be undetectable except to cameras, and the cameras all saw through them.

You might as well cover your plate with loads of dirt and grime or paint or something.

Or because it's illegal, you might as well just steal plates from another car.

The irony is after you buy such a cover, and you get ripped off for a piece of plastic who are you going to complain to? The cops? hahahha.

The fact that the mark is dishonest is the central aspect in many cons.

Last edited:
The two parts of NC I lived in both tried red light cameras and ended up abandoning them pretty quickly. In Chapel Hill they lasted maybe a year, and I believe were shut off primarily over privacy/constitutionality issues, though I might be remembering wrong. I think it was something that was voted on though. In Charlotte, I believe they were shut off simply because the contractor was making all the money.

I don't think I have come across red light cameras in AL, though I could see them in places like Tuscaloosa or Huntsville. In Birmingham half the tags would be bogus anyway. No way would cameras pay off.

In our town in nc, the law was that the traffic ticket fees were to go to the school fund. So a $50 ticket, the $50 goes into the school fund. Now the with the city was that the city got about $15 of each ticket( meaning $15 to the school fund) and the camera company got $35 ( i don't remember exactly how much). This went on until a lawyer challenged it claiming that each $50 ticket had to go into the school fund. The judge ruled $45 of the ticket had to go to the school fund. So the city had to put the $45 in to the school fund, and the still had to pay the company the $35 by contract. So the city lost $30 or so on every ticket. That shut the red light camera program here down.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/567.asp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Every "high-performing" camera in the San Diego area circa 1990s was directly tied to bad intersection design, which includes yellow light timing vs. speed limit.

The problem is that it was not in the interest of either the city nor the camera contractor to raise these issues, as both took 50% of the revenues.

ray, "you can't con an honest man". I think I'm going stop going to Captain Pete's Bar & Grill every night after work. Honestly, the only time I've ever received these tickets is after a "few cold ones".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back