An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe those that eat lion meat can chime in..... Does it taste like monkey or elephant?

Are they better if shot today and allowed to suffer for a few days?

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed hunting for over 50 years, but shot placement, cleaning, and eating was impressed on me in a large way. Animals and birds were not shot to be wasted.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
That's some serious boot licking going on there. Calling a dentist a doctor.

Do you live in a place where one can be a dentist without a doctorate in dental science? In Minnesota you need a DDS to practice dentistry, and Palmer got his at the University of Minnesota. He's a doctor.

Nobody calls dentists doctors. Its an insult to people with real MDs. Cut the anal retentive banter. This lowlife needs to do the right thing and put a gun in his mouth

You need to see a doctor: to wit, a psychiatrist!

And yeah...a dentist is, in fact, a doctor.

Well, as a sucessful dentist, the guy had enough money to pay for the hunt but doesn't have enough money to buy his way out of the consequences.
This guy is now ruined.
He's already paying the price.
Hope the "hunt", which was really the kind of illegal baiting you can't even do with deer, was worth his life to him, since that's what it's going to cost him.
He can probably get work as a contract dentist in a prison somewhere, at least until someone outs him.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Maybe those that eat lion meat can chime in..... Does it taste like monkey or elephant?

Are they better if shot today and allowed to suffer for a few days?

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed hunting for over 50 years, but shot placement, cleaning, and eating was impressed on me in a large way. Animals and birds were not shot to be wasted.

According to what they said on the news, after the lion was wounded by an arrow it was two days later when they located the lion and the Dr. killed the lion with a rifle bullet. So the lion suffered for about two days.

After that either Dr. Palmer or somebody else cut off the head, and perhaps they took the skin. And the meat was left. There was supposed to be a tracking collar on the lion. I wonder what happened to that?

Then you are a psychopath and should be locked up.

I am honestly wondering if I should report this to the FBI..........

Sitting in a deerstand drinking beer waiting for a deer to walk up and eat food that you baited him with,and then killing him is not a sport.
That takes as much skill as brushing your teeth.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Sitting in a deerstand drinking beer waiting for a deer to walk up and eat food that you baited him with,and then killing him is not a sport.

You have no idea what it means to be a hunter as it is nothing about what you speak of. Furthermore, you have no idea how much skill it takes to harvest a deer with a bow or a rifle from a tree stand, for that matter. Since you lack this basic understanding, your not a good representative to tell everyone how easy it is or isn't to harvest a deer from a tree stand. Why don't you stick to topics that you are knowledgeable about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017

You have no idea what it means to be a hunter as it is nothing about what you speak of. Furthermore, you have no idea how much skill it takes to harvest a deer with a bow or a rifle from a tree stand, for that matter. Since you lack this basic understanding, your not a good representative to tell everyone how easy it is or isn't to harvest a deer from a tree stand. Why don't you stick to topics that you are knowledgeable about.

Most animals are custom to being around people and many are seen as pets. The deer you shoot is probably being fed by your neighbor. I see hunting as the next big divisive issue in this country. Most highly educated people admire nature, not slaughter it. There are too many people for everyone to be hunting animals for food.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I suspect none because no one understands how trophy hunting works. Nice rifle BTW.

1. Was the lion wasted?
No typically locals are poor and only to happy to take the meat. Nothing is wasted.

2. Why is a trophy hunt so expensive?

I don't know the exact details of this case, I suspect the media is way off as usual. Typically if you want to shoot say an elephant you need a permit. The local game wardens identify X number of animals to be removed each year. Typically they are older males who are blocking younger males from breeding. So the number of permits issued is very limited and as a result they are very expensive. I have heard of people paying $250k for some!

Its called herd and animal management. These poor countries lack resources to fight poachers, also the locals view a lot of the animals like elephants in this example as nuisance animals. By charging in some cases $200k to shoot an old animal they are able to gain resources they wouldn't otherwise have to fight poachers. The locals now also make money off this so they have an incentive to not help the poachers or kill the animals themselves.

Large game trophy hunting is actually doing a ton of good in Africa and is why a lot of animals are still around. FYI the Chinese are paying poachers to kill anything with a horn left and right so without it they would have probably shoot every last one by now. Its so bad that in some areas game warden's shoot and hunt the poachers.

The same limp wristed OMG its nature don't touch it, I don't understand it but save it attitude, is why wild forest fires sweep threw areas all the time. The forest and trees are not properly managed so nature does it. If controlled logging and underbrush removal was done so you had a healthy forest with large healthy trees they would be less common. Fires are natures way of achieving this.

Weak sauce. Making money from safari's and employing the poachers to protect is a better way. Culling the herd however isn't usually necessary as nature takes its course.

Hugh?

Poachers are just poor people trying to make a living. Either someone on the black market pays them to shoot the animal for a part of it, the game wardens kill them, OR you can make trophy hunting valuable so they become guides. Any local starving villager with a family can be a poacher.

Natures great, we can help it along. Keep an animal that cannot bread in charge of a heard for a few more years and nature will kill it. Or we can kill it, charge for that privilege, than a young male can get in their and do what young males do best. Make babies!

The real conversationalists are hunters. Safari Club and big game hunting club members have spent more actual DOLLARS on conservation than all the feel good hand wringers net worth's put together. I know guys in my club who have spent over a quarter million dollars to shoot certain Rhino's. That money goes directly to the local government to protect the specials. They also spend thousands in the local area making the animals very profitable to have around. A local can make an entire years wage in one week with a group like this in town! No hand wringing internet feel good has written a check like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017

Most animals are custom to being around people and many are seen as pets. The deer you shoot is probably being fed by your neighbor. I see hunting as the next big divisive issue in this country. Most highly educated people admire nature, not slaughter it. There are too many people for everyone to be hunting animals for food.

They have to allow hunting. The deer herds get too large and there is starvation. There are not enough natural predators left today in many areas to get the herds under control. It is a different story if you are talking about an endangered species.

I am not against hunting. Actually the hunters in states like Colorado are a huge benefit to the wild animals. Their hunting fees and so forth are very important sources of revenue.

What I am against is an animal being baited out of a protected preserve so it can be killed by a hunter. If that is what actually happened, I am totally against that. And I think most real hunters are against that also. I don't know if Dr. Palmer knew about the alleged baiting.

But there was a tracking collar on that lion and the story is that they tried to destroy the tracking collar.

That lion had lived on a preserve where the animals are supposed to be protected.

Now it is certainly true that the lion was getting older and eventually probably would be killed or driven away by a younger male. That is nature.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
[

They have to allow hunting.

No. Animals did fine without humans and will do so after humans are extinct.

Again. I'm telling you there is going to be a culture clash between hunters and nature lovers. The deer you shoot is appreciated in a live state by people that widely outnumber you.

We're not there yet, but its coming.

Last edited:
[

They have to allow hunting.

No. Animals did fine without humans and will do so after humans are extinct.

Again. I'm telling you there is going to be a culture clash between hunters and nature lovers. The deer you shoot is appreciated in a live state by people that widely outnumber you.

We're not there yet, but its coming.

So you want for there to be a kind of war between hunters and nature lovers? I am a nature lover. We go to zoos and to the mountains and museums and other places like that all the time.

But I can understand that if the deer population, or the elk population, gets too high, the animals will begin to starve.

I love the forests in Colorado. But I can understand that the forests cannot be too thick and there cannot be too much deadwood in the forest because otherwise the forest fires that will come will be much more destructive.

There are old photographs of the forests in Colorado and the forests were not as thick as they are today. And I know myself that the vegetation around the Garden of the Gods was not as thick as it is today compared to when I was young.

Both of the daughters of a woman I know worked at a zoo. Do you think they hate animals?

[ Do you think they hate animals?

Does the dentist hate animals?

I'd say the dentist is a sicko.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
[ Do you think they hate animals?

Does the dentist hate animals?

I'd say the dentist is a sicko.

DSCF1269.JPG