Cooper Zeon RS3-A Long Term Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I didn't know Cooper was doing OE tires!

Maybe CR will want to address this, but I know that there's a mention on his website of how Cooper never wanted to jump through the requisite hoops to become an OE supplier.

I'd sooner think that if a new Focus is wearing Coopers, it's because the dealer installed them.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I didn't know Cooper was doing OE tires!

Maybe CR will want to address this, but I know that there's a mention on his website of how Cooper never wanted to jump through the requisite hoops to become an OE supplier.

I'd sooner think that if a new Focus is wearing Coopers, it's because the dealer installed them.

I have read that in a few spots, but it's the OE equipment on some models: http://coopertire.com/News/Corporate-New...nal-Equipm.aspx

Can anyone give me an impression of the RS3-A's initial turn-in response? For me, turn-in is everything. Nothing annoys me more than squirmy squishy tires. A second consideration is rolling resistance.

I've got Bridgestone RE970AS on currently and probably on its last 10000 km. It has a nice stiff sidewall and initial turn-in is excellent. I can't find too much fault in it compared to my stock tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2) summers, with the added benefit of 0-5C temperature performance. But I do find its performance in light snow quite lacking here in Vancouver BC, where we get 2 weeks of snow per year max. Also, according to tirerack, the RE970AS isn't the most fuel efficient tire out there.

So I'd like to know from you guys:
1) Turn-in ability
2) Fuel economy and
3) Light snow traction.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ajwan
Can anyone give me an impression of the RS3-A's initial turn-in response? For me, turn-in is everything. Nothing annoys me more than squirmy squishy tires. A second consideration is rolling resistance.

I've got Bridgestone RE970AS on currently and probably on its last 10000 km. It has a nice stiff sidewall and initial turn-in is excellent. I can't find too much fault in it compared to my stock tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2) summers, with the added benefit of 0-5C temperature performance. But I do find its performance in light snow quite lacking here in Vancouver BC, where we get 2 weeks of snow per year max. Also, according to tirerack, the RE970AS isn't the most fuel efficient tire out there.

So I'd like to know from you guys:
1) Turn-in ability
2) Fuel economy and
3) Light snow traction.

Thanks!

I also answered this in your other thread but I am very happy with the steering response. I did not notice any difference in fuel economy between the Coopers and the Pirellis. As far as light snow traction goes the Zeons work fine- although I usually drive the Wrangler or 328i(both fitted with winter rubber) if it gets really bad.

I believe the Zeon RS-3A is what I have setting in the back of my office, slated to go on the XJ8, (which is still shod with the Pirelli tires it was delivered new on in 2004), and mine are indeed made in China. Which was a disappointment. But the $1000+ set of Bridgestone's on the Torrent are from Singapore or Malaysia, so price does not seem to be much of an indicator of where a tire is made these days.

I was a little concerened about an inexpensive tire like this on that class of car, (we rarely drive it), so it's good to read the positive reviews. If they drive well on the Jag, I may get a set for the G8 which is my DD and still on its OEM tires.

Cooper's are made in China is some sizes...

Michelin Pilot A/S 3 are made in the USA and Canada...

Why not support your local jobs...?

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Cooper's[sic] are made in China is[sic] some sizes...

Michelin Pilot A/S 3 are made in the USA and Canada...

Why not support your local jobs...?

I buy what best suits my requirements.
Shame on me.

I have had many Cooper tires in the past, every one had a sidewall cracking problem. Now, I wouldn't buy one. Also, I wouldn't support any American company who has manufacturing in China.

Last edited:
Cooper retains a very large tire manufacturing facility in my state - it's one of the reasons I've bought many sets of Cooper tires.

I wonder how much industry and commerce we would have in this country if people would actually go out and make jobs instead of sitting around whining on the internet, and expecting someone else to do it for them?

I'm pretty careful- but the RS3-As seem to be at least adequate in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back