Some 2023 tire prices have become insane

My wife's 2007 M35 is hard on tires, and not just ultra high performance tires. We've gone through Goodyear Eagle RSAs (35k miles), Cooper Zeons (30K), Toyo Versados (44K) and now Milestar MS932 Sports (21K). The Milestars are a popular value tire--I paid $82 about 52 months ago--but apparently not a good wearing tire. Yet they have doubled in price since then. My local Tire Choice dealer shows Michelin Primacy at $302 apiece. Crazy price. I'm not interested in spending $1,200+ for tires on a 16 year old car that gets driven 5,000 miles a year. Now I'm finding it hard to find any name brand tire less than $200 each in 245/45/18 V rated. Even Discount Tire doesn't have much to choose from. I'm not a Costco or Sams Club member, and I don't cherish a Walmart tire tech working on the Infiniti. As the rears have worn faster despite regular rotations, I'm still looking for a suitable tire.

Last edited:
My wife's 2007 M35 is hard on tires, and not just ultra high performance tires. We've gone through Goodyear Eagle RSAs (35k miles), Cooper Zeons (30K), Toyo Versados (44K) and now Milestar MS932 Sports (25K). The Milestars are a popular value tire--I paid $82 about 52 months ago--but not a good wearing tire. They have doubled in price since then. My local Tire Choice dealer shows Michelin Primacy at $302 apiece. Crazy. I'm not interested in spending $1,200+ for tires on a 16 year old car. I'm finding it hard to find any name brand tire less than $200 each in 245/45/18 V rated. Even Discount Tire doesn't have a lot to choose from. I'm not a Costco or Sams Club member, and I don't cherish a Walmart tire tech working on the Infiniti. As the rears have worn faster despite regular rotations, I'm still looking.

If Walmart carries these tires at a lower price, Discount Tire will likely match the price (they did for me 2 years ago). That way you still get Walmart prices but with Discount Tire install.

Take a look at General G-Max AS-05 or -07 tires, we are very happy with -05 on Forte, they are wearing very well in addition to excellent grip, quiet, very predictable, don't look out of place being too aggressive or too plain.

Have you explored getting different wheels with a more common tire size? Is 245/45/18 a unicorn?

I have the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 in a different size and really like them. They are wearing well and have great traction.

Just checked Walmart and you can get a set in 245/45/18 installed for around $800 out the door. The tires are W rated with a 50k tread warranty.

YOKOHAMA YK-GTX $188 at DT.

Falken Logo
FALKENPRO G5 SPORT A/S 169 - Y rated which exceeds V

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980 A/S PLUS 215 (under 200 with deal)

What I would buy
GENERAL GMAX AS-05 W rated $164 -- GREAT TIRE/Value. I have a set on the 2020 elantra.

FWIW I still have no issue finding deals on tires. They are up 10-20% which is less than groceries and way less than insurance. IMO.(up 66% in 2yr)

Deals are there if you look enough:
Got some USDA prime whole tenderloin ultratrim (cryovac ready to slice into steaks) for $8.40
yet STEAK PRICES HAVE GONE INSANE.. (regular price 34.99)

Around me if I wanted to just walk into to a tire place flynn's has excellent prices.

The 2020 Ram just got some 275/55r20 Toyo Open Country RT's They were pricy but no one else was lower.

Last edited:
I put a set of Uniroyal Power Paw in that size on my wife’s 2008 Pontiac Solstice back in February, $800 OTD. Been very pleased with them.

The rear steering feature and AWD equipped models of that car were known for chewing through tires. I had a Jeep Cherokee with AWD that was like that too.

Cooper Endeavor, Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS, Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+....all meet your speed rating and seem to have high ratings on TR. All just below $200. There are some Vredestein offerings I didn't list because I'm not sure what luck you'd have finding that brand locally.

If Walmart carries these tires at a lower price, Discount Tire will likely match the price (they did for me 2 years ago). That way you still get Walmart prices but with Discount Tire install.
Is that really any better? In my area at least the Walmart TLE is always packed where as Discount Tire usually has one guy standing out front and the rest are huddled up in the shop watching Tik Toks. I’m guessing the Walmart guys get more hands on experience.

My wife's 2007 M35 is hard on tires, and not just ultra high performance tires. We've gone through Goodyear Eagle RSAs (35k miles), Cooper Zeons (30K), Toyo Versados (44K) and now Milestar MS932 Sports (21K). The Milestars are a popular value tire--I paid $82 about 52 months ago--but apparently not a good wearing tire. Yet they have doubled in price since then. My local Tire Choice dealer shows Michelin Primacy at $302 apiece. Crazy price. I'm not interested in spending $1,200+ for tires on a 16 year old car that gets driven 5,000 miles a year. Now I'm finding it hard to find any name brand tire less than $200 each in 245/45/18 V rated. Even Discount Tire doesn't have much to choose from. I'm not a Costco or Sams Club member, and I don't cherish a Walmart tire tech working on the Infiniti. As the rears have worn faster despite regular rotations, I'm still looking for a suitable tire.
Not a good wearing tire on your particular vehicle. They are better than that-as are the tires you listed the car as worn out in such a short time. Is this normal when looking at the vehicle specific forums on the Internet?

Not a good wearing tire on your particular vehicle. They are better than that-as are the tires you listed the car as worn out in such a short time. Is this normal when looking at the vehicle specific forums on the Internet?
Yes, the 2006-2010 Infiniti M35's are known to be hard on the V rated tires that are specified for the car.

Is that really any better? In my area at least the Walmart TLE is always packed where as Discount Tire usually has one guy standing out front and the rest are huddled up in the shop watching Tik Toks. I’m guessing the Walmart guys get more hands on experience.
I think it probably varies by location. I just wanted to suggest that option since the topic starter did not want to use Walmart for install.

Back