Fram Ultra XG3600

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested to learn the sales breakdown of the different FRAM lines...what percentage of sales are the EG, how many are TG, etc. I'd be willing to bet only BITOG members buy the XG since the other 98% are clueless.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I'd be interested to learn the sales breakdown of the different FRAM lines...what percentage of sales are the EG, how many are TG, etc. I'd be willing to bet only BITOG members buy the XG since the other 98% are clueless.

I think it's more than just BITOG members. Every time I go to Walmart to buy and Ultra filter they are out of the one I need. I doubt there are that many BITOG members going to the same store as I do.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I do tend to see less Fram Ultra Filters at Wally World. You can see that they are selling at a decent pace.

Yeah i couldn't find my XG3600 at Wally but i found it at Meijer.

You would be suprised to learn how close you are to being correct. EG accounts for more than 80% of FRAM sales. TG is 10% and XG is less than 10% just rounding out. We keep trying to get our customers (big box stores and indy auto parts stores) to stock XG and the pushback is that it is too expensive. What is protecting your car (biggest investment next to your house) worth? If more people bought TG and XG, stores would stock more inventory and part numbers. Any suggestions from BITOG members how we educate the general public to use better filters? A Cory Mac die cast FRAM dragster to the best suggestion.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
You would be suprised to learn how close you are to being correct. EG accounts for more than 80% of FRAM sales. TG is 10% and XG is less than 10% just rounding out. We keep trying to get our customers (big box stores and indy auto parts stores) to stock XG and the pushback is that it is too expensive. What is protecting your car (biggest investment next to your house) worth? If more people bought TG and XG, stores would stock more inventory and part numbers. Any suggestions from BITOG members how we educate the general public to use better filters? A Cory Mac die cast FRAM dragster to the best suggestion.

I think a comparison of a replacement engine cost compared to the MSRP of an Extended guard oil filter would open some eyes.

We keep trying to get our customers (big box stores and indy auto parts stores) to stock XG and the pushback is that it is too expensive.

When compared to the prices of other top-shelf oil filters, XG is actually reasonably priced (and in my opinion it's a better filter overall). But a lot of people have the opinion that an oil filter is an oil filter (I have heard a lot of people say this), and they think that using the higher quality filters will make no difference. I have had this discussion before and have advised people to use the better oil filters ... and the bottom line was that they did not believe the extra money spent on a better filter would really make any difference.

I really don't know what to suggest to influence people to use better filters. I know that BITOG members are more passionate about oil filters than a lot of people, but you would think that most people would want to provide the best protection possible for their cars.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
We keep trying to get our customers (big box stores and indy auto parts stores) to stock XG and the pushback is that it is too expensive.

When compared to the prices of other top-shelf oil filters, XG is actually reasonably priced =
Huh? Ultra is reasonably price at Walmart? Not in the new XG10075 size recently added to Fram's line, at $25 each I feel they might not move them.. Then again, they do fit in expensive BMW cars like my N52 07 BMW 530i 3.0L, so maybe its marketed to people with a bunch of money. The Extra Guard is only $10 in that application.

stores would stock more inventory and part numbers. Any suggestions from BITOG members how we educate the general public to use better filters? A Cory Mac die cast FRAM dragster to the best suggestion.

I think just say, on the box front "20% Less Engine Wear". Of course, then Fram would have to have a taxi-fleet study, 5 taxis used Ultra, 5 taxis used cheap cellulose-media filter, measure cam lobes, cylinder wear, etc., and do it in Phoenix (dusty). That 20% might turn out to be different BTW. I think people just want to know what the oil filter does for them, and people understand wear.

stores would stock more inventory and part numbers. Any suggestions from BITOG members how we educate the general public to use better filters? A Cory Mac die cast FRAM dragster to the best suggestion.

... or Fram's Ultra box could say "20% Less Dirt Inside Engine", where you could quicken the taxi study thru just one normal oil change and do particle counts some tangible reason to pay a little more. I guess you could just use the ISO 4548-12 results instead of one oil change on some taxi test, to make that claim, although it could be challenged on the fact that the test sequence isn't an engine exactly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: Tony10s

When compared to the prices of other top-shelf oil filters, XG is actually reasonably priced =
Huh? Ultra is reasonably price at Walmart? Not in the new XG10075 size recently added to Fram's line, at $25 each I feel they might not move them.. Then again, they do fit in expensive BMW cars like my N52 07 BMW 530i 3.0L, so maybe its marketed to people with a bunch of money. The Extra Guard is only $10 in that application.

My mistake ... I wasn't aware of the prices of all the FRAM Ultra oil filters (and I was also mistakenly thinking about the prices of the old Xtended Guard filters as well, which are not exactly the same as the current Ultra filters). The Ultra filter for my car costs me between $10 and $11 at WM and AAP.

If more people bought TG and XG, stores would stock more inventory and part numbers. Any suggestions from BITOG members how we educate the general public to use better filters?

IMHO - you guys have a good thing going with the Ultra. If you stay the course and not "cheapen" the construction, or give into to "peer" pressure, over time it will rise to the top as far as highest quality and price point for a filter. I had not used a FRAM in years simply because higher quality filters could be had at the same or better price point. With the Ultra that is no longer the case and I can run a single Ultra for 15K saving me time and money. My FX4 has had one for the last 10K miles headed towards 15K or more, so keep up the good work!

Just out of curiosity FRAM in Europe are made by Italian SOGEFI Group.How about the American ones?Is this brand under same ownership in US?

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Just out of curiosity FRAM in Europe are made by Italian SOGEFI Group.How about the American ones?Is this brand under same ownership in US?

The Rank Group owns Fram, since 2012. Rank also bought Champion Labs (Mobil1 oil filters, others). Its important to note that Fram has factories that it borrows/leases, in China, makes filters in the U.S. too, and maybe the SOGEFI thing is a contractor for Fram production. Its confusing since it changes, and any filter could potentially be made anywhere by a third-party to Fram's specs and shipped anywhere.

From Fram News Article Link .... : "FRAM Filtration, our new company name, is the largest global supplier of filtration products for the automotive and commercial transportation industries. We formed the company in January of 2012 by merging two companies that had been acquired by the Rank Group, a private investment company, – Champion Laboratories, which was part of UCI International and FRAM, formerly part of Honeywell."

Last edited:
Try google it,they say FRAM is sold even in NA and built by SOGEFI.Maybe is something like Uniroyal brand with different owners here and US.Sorry for my bad English.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Try google it,they say FRAM is sold even in NA and built by SOGEFI.Maybe is something like Uniroyal brand with different owners here and US.Sorry for my bad English.

The only Fram oil filters I've ever seen have either been stamped on them "Made in USA", "Made in China", or "Made in Korea", as far as actual factories go. I think SOGEFI handles European distribution of Fram, not company ownership.

How about a simple display of the build quality that makes the Ultra such a great bargain ?

If more people bought TG and XG, stores would stock more inventory and part numbers. Any suggestions from BITOG members how we educate the general public to use better filters?

I was naive about marketing with my previous answer to this 'challenge'. My new answer: Girl in a bikini holding a beer on the box. There. A million more sold.

Extra Guard $4 - 95% efficient - 5000 miles

Ultra - $9 - 99%+ efficient - 15,000 miles

Not sure what price you would quote since retailers vary so much. Like i said i can get my XG3980 off Amazon for $6

With the ultra you are under the car less and get cleaner oil. It's a win win for me, i can't wait for my nexi OCI where i don't have to spill the filter on my arm and just drain the 4.5 quarts from the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back