Thinking of Moving From Fram Ultra to PurOne

For 8 years that I can remember I've used Fram Ultra in my 15 F150 5.0 Lariat and subsequently 17 Outback with H6 engine for 7-10k runs on each vehicle. I cut my filters after an oil change and have had excellent results so stayed with the Ultra's. The recent flux of QC issues with Ultra's has not sat well with me. I have two left for each vehicle in my stash and am thinking of moving on to PurOne filter. Outback application is only $7 a filter from Amazon. Haven't checked the F150 yet.

I don't see an issue with PurOne for these vehicles through an OCI of 7-10k. Am I missing anything?

For 8 years that I can remember I've used Fram Ultra in my 15 F150 5.0 Lariat and subsequently 17 Outback with H6 engine for 7-10k runs on each vehicle. I cut my filters after an oil change and have had excellent results so stayed with the Ultra's. The recent flux of QC issues with Ultra's has not sat well with me. I have two left for each vehicle in my stash and am thinking of moving on to PurOne filter. Outback application is only $7 a filter from Amazon. Haven't checked the F150 yet.

I don't see an issue with PurOne for these vehicles through an OCI of 7-10k. Am I missing anything?
Yes, Don't let the Purolator haters get to you. They're great filters & if you want the support backing you still have the option in the Boss. Grab your filters spec sheet! :)

The PurolatorOne is the best aftermarket filter for Subarus in general, IMO. The Subaru H6 has a crazy high oil pump output (83 L/min at 6k rpm). A FRAM Ultra with a 12 psi bypass rating will be bypassing a lot of unfiltered oil very often on this engine. So, if you're worried about the FRAM developing a tear in the media or something, it doesn't really matter. It will be flowing unfiltered oil anyway.

The PurolatorOne PL14615 has the proper 23 psi bypass rating and is the most bypass-resistant PurolatorOne filter that will fit your car. It won't normally bypass on 4-cylinder Subaru engines with 60L/min oil pumps, but it will bypass some oil on your H6 in certain conditions. The OEM filter for the H6 has 45% more media area than the OEM filters for the turbo 4-cylinders. Aftermarket filter brands will just sell you the same small filter designed for the 4-cylinder engines.

I'd prefer the Purolator over the FRAM, since it wouldn't be bypassing as often, but if you want a filter that won't bypass at all, you'll either have to stick with OEM, or install a filter relocation kit with a different thread so you can use an oversized filter.

The Subaru H6 has a crazy high oil pump output (83 L/min at 6k rpm).
83 L/min = 87.6 qts/ min = 21.9 GPM. That's exchanging a 5 qt sump 17.5 times every minute, or a 5 qt sump is exchanged every 3.4 seconds. Imagine filling up 22 gallon milk jugs in 1 minute. Seems way overboard for an oiling system IMO. Where's all the oil going, because journal bearings are way too tight to flow much of that total oil flow. They jamming most of it through an oil cooler or something?

I'd like to see an actual engine instrumented with an accurate flow meter to verify that spec is actually in an engine oiling system, and not just on an unregulated oil pump flowing with no real flow resistance on it like it would have feeding an oiling system.

Toyota version is pretty legit. Dunno about Ford.

IMG_2541.jpeg

Good Evening Biscuit,
Here are the top 10 from my database based on performance and price to help you decide. IMO, I'd stick with the Ultra or go with a Tough Guard for both their good filtration and life. The PureOne you're considering has good specs and price also.

1703716953661.jpg

83 L/min = 87.6 qts/ min = 21.9 GPM. That's exchanging a 5 qt sump 17.5 times every minute, or a 5 qt sump is exchanged every 3.4 seconds. Imagine filling up 22 gallon milk jugs in 1 minute. Seems way overboard for an oiling system IMO. Where's all the oil going, because journal bearings are way too tight to flow much of that total oil flow. They jamming most of it through an oil cooler or something?

I'd like to see an actual engine instrumented with an accurate flow meter to verify that spec is actually in an engine oiling system, and not just on an unregulated oil pump flowing with no real flow resistance on it like it would have feeding an oiling system.
Here are the official specs for the oil pump on the 2015 Outback 6-cylinder. 82.8 L/min at 57 psi with oil at 80°C, so it seems like the flow rating is based on testing with typical engine restriction. Even if it weren't, the flow rate of a PD pump would typically only increase by up to 5-10% with zero restriction. The rotor on this oil pump has a pretty typical diameter, but it's especially wide at 30.2 mm. Most engines will have a 7-15 mm wide rotor. I don't doubt that it has a very high flow rate.

The oil cooler is in series with the rest of the system so it wouldn't affect the oil flow requirement, and most Subaru engines don't use piston squirters. My guess is that it there is a lot of oil flowing to the heads and timing cover, which is maybe due to the horizontal boxer layout. I would image that gravity isn't very helpful in keeping a horizontal head or timing chain system lubricated.

Subaru H6 Oil System Specs.jpg

Here are the official specs for the oil pump on the 2015 Outback 6-cylinder. 82.8 L/min at 57 psi with oil at 80°C, so it seems like the flow rating is based on testing with typical engine restriction.
What viscosity oil is specified for that engine? At 80C, a typical xW-20 will have a viscosity of 13-13.5 cSt and a typical xW-30 will have a viscosity of 16.5-17 cSt. So 57 PSI of oil pressure at 6,000 RPM with 80C oil at a flow rate of 82.8 L/min (87.5 qt/min = 21.9 GPM) at that viscosity shows that there is some part of the oiling system that is pretty low in flow restriction beyond the journal bearings.

If I tried to put 21.9 GPM of oil flow through my vehicle engines the PD pump pressure relief valve would most certainly kick-in, and the pump pressure relief would have to be set way higher than stock level. My Z06 stock oil pump only flows 6.5 GPM at 6000 RPM, and aftermarket performance pumps around 7.5-8.8 GPM depending on pump model. Don't know what Subaru's fascination on oil pump volume is all about, but it just seems crazy excessive to me. If the valve train needs that much oil to survive, something strange is going on IMO.

1703899732913.png

There are hundred of thousands of vehicles on the road running on OE & Jobber filters. There is nothing really wrong going with a different brand or vendor. Unlike some of us here who obsess with filtering efficiency and its return of investment. By all means its your money and car so go with what you're comfortable with.

I have seen many filters including some recent OEM Toyota Denso filters personally cut opened and posted here having defects. In a high volume manufacturing environment where product assembly is likely to be heavily automated will have defective products slipping through in small numbers and batches. This is why I prefer to shop locally and inspect filters with a pocket flashlight/phone before purchasing. FRAM isn't just an outlier. If you look at some listings of filters by major brands at Amazon, you'll likely run into an upset review of filters having some sort of defect with posted photos.

Back