Auto RX update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a couple of thousand miles on my 84 Civic after a double Auto-RX treatment. The car has almost 383k miles on it now. Over about 20 years I've gone from 5w-30 up to 20w-50 to keep the oil consumption under control and even then if finally got to almost a quart every thousand miles. Now that the engine has been cleaned out, I'm back to 5w-30 and it appears that the consumption rate might be about a quart every 5k miles. I'll have a more accutate number when I do the next oil change. I'm really happy with the results. Under the valve cover it was pretty clean before the treatment, but that stuff must have really cleaned out the rings and valve seals. It took a little while, some driving and a few extra oil changes to get the job done, but it was worth it all. Thanks Frank.

Thank for posting, Larry. Your an inspiration to Civic owners. My civic is running great 300 miles in the first rinse cycle.

I think my girlfriend must be a little tired of hearing me go on and on about it.

BTW, i had the transmission oil changed and now that sounds much better also.

It is a long drive but civics were meant to go a long way.
smile.gif

Your post makes me wish I had ARX way back when.

And your experience is to the point. A thread I'll enjoy sending out. You might consider sending along to Frank.

are the valve and crank seals original?
what brand of oil used during the 300k+ miles?
any other oil additives used over life span of veh?

There is a 1989 Accord LX 4 cylinder - original owner - on eBay right now w/ 484,000 miles. Car still looks very good; not beat up. These Honda engines are unbelievable.

Ads a longtime Honda owner I agree with you in a sense. They are unbelievable since they run for so long. They are also unbelievable in how much oil they burn and leak when miles get high!

c502,

my civic has been burning oil since i bought it at 99K.

Now, in my first ARX rinse stage, i decided to go to a lighter oil. And it is burning quite a bit.

But I'm so happy that it's running better that it doesn't bother me. I just keep topping it off.

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back