2013 Subaru 2.5L oil burn

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5L that has developed oil burning issue. I purchased this vehicle at 105k miles about 2 years ago. My first low oil warning light came on at 3500miles. The manual suggests 7500 miles; however, this early generation of FB25 engines were notorious for oil burning issue. I had some data from car fax, and noticed the vehicle got oil change roughly around 3.5k miles. I had actually contacted the Subaru and they never followed up with me and I got busy, so I left it at that time.

After my first oil change 2 years ago, I noticed the oil burning has steadily increased. I put Castrol Edge 5w-20 and have changed oil back and forth Kirkland, Pennzoil to see if particular oil reduced the consumption. I have also changed PCV valve about two years ago. The old fun was still functioning (rattling).

Ever since my first oil change at ~108k, I have been trying to address the oil consumption issue one way, or another. I would like to note my vehicle currently burns 1 qt at roughly 1300-1400 miles.
Things I have tried:
Liqui Moly Engine Flush: No impact
Berryman B12: Gas tank. I bet the vehicle needed this as I felt increased power.
BG EPR: No Impact, or marginal as I did feel increased torque due to better compression? Done 3500 miles later than b-12.
Berry Man B12: in Engine: It didn’t do anything. Might have done some cleaning, but oil burn didn’t change.

Currently I am trying yamalube ring free. The instruction call for 1 oz every 10 gallons, but I poured 6 oz for my entire tank. It’s still running on it, so I can’t report anything. The last oil change I had was with Rosella t6, and it didn’t help with oil burn, my low oil light came on at 1400 miles.
I would like to know from the community, is there anything that’s proven to address this issue?
Browsing this forum, it seems HPL engine oil might be worth trying, or BG engine flush kit.

Thanks!!!

They were replacing some short blocks of those engines...the 2.0Ls as well, under warranty, but it would have to be a qt in under 1000miles or something crazy like that before Subaru did anything. I had the 2.0L Impreza (2014) back then, and luckily mine did not have noticeable oil consumption. Nothing seemed to cure the issue of those that did consume oil...oil viscosity changes, additives, etc. On the Impreza forums, they stressed putting the engine through its paces during the first couple hundred miles to really ensure the rings got seated. The sales mgr where I got mine from told me to drive it like I stole it (his words) for the first 500 miles.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I was at a gas station off the interstate and there was an older woman (in her 60s?) looking lost at the oil section of the convenience store. I asked her if she needed help, and she said her oil light was on. Come to find out she had just bought a used Forester from that era (IIRC it was a 2014), and I just told her that she'll be fine and the car will be fine, but the oil thing is going to be a consistent issue for her. I showed her the right oil to get, and then I said to her that she was going to add the oil herself, that she was going to need to know how to do this as the problem likely wouldn't be going away. So she got a crash course in how to open her hood, remove the fill cap, we got a bunch of paper funnels, and how to check the oil level. She was upset about the car, but glad I helped, and she knew to add 2qts if the light came on.

I think you're just gonna have to live with it unless they came up with something. Check nasioc.com threads? There were a ton of complaints and theories on there. Don't know if they ever came up with a solution.

Must have been lucky. My father's 2013 Legacy 2.5 had yearly oil changes at 3k miles by me. Oil level was always near the full mark up until it was sold two years ago.

That's not the worst consumption and it's about inline for the Subaru's of that year. Normally I'd say to use 0/5w-40 but I'd suggest something that is nicer to the old catalytic converter which is 10w-40.

Thanks everyone for the input!!
I was thinking if there is a way to at least get back to 1 qt/3500 mile? I get low oil light at the worst time, and I hate how I have to add a quart per 1300-1400 miles. It's a waste, and inconvenience. I have tried T6 5w-40 in an effort to see if it reduces the consumption, but it didn't make any change maybe 100 mile difference. Also, why is 10w-40 better than 5w-40? I am in the Midwest if that helps.

Does anyone have any theory on what could cause the oil burn to accelerate? and how I can prevent this? It'd be much better if I can get to 3500 miles/qt.

Thank you!

How much do you drive? bit of a pain, but what does it hurt to check oil every Saturday morning? go out, check, add. Add a quarter quart at a time if necessary, or half, whatever.

At work, I used to check the oil at lunchtime. It had drained down and it was easy to check. Could do this first thing in the morning too, pick a day of the week that you have to out 5 minutes earlier.

At any rate, if you don’t get into the habit now, you might wind up fixing this problem in short order—and without choice.

I drive about 15k a year, probably more now since return to office. lol
I have been pretty good with checking as frequently as possible. I never drive the vehicle more than 50 miles or so after getting the light. However, I was just curious if this is something that can be solved by using cleaner.

Thank you!

I drive about 15k a year, probably more now since return to office. lol
I have been pretty good with checking as frequently as possible. I never drive the vehicle more than 50 miles or so after getting the light. However, I was just curious if this is something that can be solved by using cleaner.

Thank you!
In your case I’d use something like the HP oil to get it cleaned up as much as possible then just use a lube that meets the required specs and a bottle of riselone every oil change to keep it clean. If it has compression rings that allow too much oil by you’ll have to deal with it. But you can hope to get the rings cleaned up enough and kept that way so you are back near the original consumption level.
If the rings are just worn already you won’t be able to help it short of tearing into it and replacing the them.

On my 2015 M1 5w-30 consumption has held steady to ~1qt per 6000 miles. Before the switch I used a variety of 0w-20 oils and consumption was higher.

In your case I’d use something like the HP oil to get it cleaned up as much as possible then just use a lube that meets the required specs and a bottle of riselone every oil change to keep it clean. If it has compression rings that allow too much oil by you’ll have to deal with it. But you can hope to get the rings cleaned up enough and kept that way so you are back near the original consumption level.
If the rings are just worn already you won’t be able to help it short of tearing into it and replacing the them.

So do you recommend doing an oil change with all HP engine oil, or just 1 quart, and keep adding 1 quart until all 6 quarts are used, with maybe filter change in between?

Do you recommend any particular oil:

I figured if I get any improvement with cleaning, great, otherwise I am fine with current situation.
-------------------------------------------------------
My 2012 Forester burned oil like crazy. 2+ qts per OCI if I remember right. Still, she got to 250k (ish) miles.
On my 2015 M1 5w-30 consumption has held steady to ~1qt per 6000 miles. Before the switch I used a variety of 0w-20 oils and consumption was higher.

Yeah, 1 quart, or 2 quarts per 5 or 6k is fine, but adding a quart at 1400 miles isn't fun, and it's just waste.

So do you recommend doing an oil change with all HP engine oil, or just 1 quart, and keep adding 1 quart until all 6 quarts are used, with maybe filter change in between?

Do you recommend any particular oil:

I figured if I get any improvement with cleaning, great, otherwise I am fine with current situation.
-------------------------------------------------------
My 2012 Forester burned oil like crazy. 2+ qts per OCI if I remember right. Still, she got to 250k (ish) miles.

Yeah, 1 quart, or 2 quarts per 5 or 6k is fine, but adding a quart at 1400 miles isn't fun, and it's just waste.
They have the cleaner which is meant to be used pre oi change before switching over. Its meant for more sludged up engines to help slowly minimize the sludge before using their oil.
If it were me I’d use the cleaner 1st toward the end of my oil change as directed (since you suspect it’s gunked up pretty good) and then fill the sump full of their motor oil for the next oci.
Either one of those should be fine.
Personally I’d not bother spending more on the latter as the ester is already gonna clean any deposits created by VII breaking down anyway.

They have the cleaner which is meant to be used pre oi change before switching over. Its meant for more sludged up engines to help slowly minimize the sludge before using their oil.
If it were me I’d use the cleaner 1st toward the end of my oil change as directed (since you suspect it’s gunked up pretty good) and then fill the sump full of their motor oil for the next oci.
Either one of those should be fine.
Personally I’d not bother spending more on the latter as the ester is already gonna clean any deposits created by VII breaking down anyway.
Okay, I will try it and see how it goes.
Not ideal, but if I had an eleven year old vehicle that required a quart every 1,200 miles with no other issues I would try a few things, but if I couldn't figure it out would just keep adding oil when it was low.

That's how I am seeing this issue too. It'd be great if I can address the issue, if it doesn't work, that's fine too.
It'd be nice that this oil burn issue doesn't worsen either. What are your suggestions for trying a few things?

Thanks!

Must have been lucky. My father's 2013 Legacy 2.5 had yearly oil changes at 3k miles by me. Oil level was always near the full mark up until it was sold two years ago.
My father was lucky too, no oil burning. Having said that we ignored the fill cap and ran ESP 5W30 in it. No way would I use an XW20 in that engine. That can from a very well respected board member and Subaru owner.

just curios - does all this oil burning on these engines foul the plugs and valves? Seems like lots of people still getting high miles out of them so I am curious?

Back