Ok I am going in, hold my beer! I am getting HPL EC to see if it can fix the oil hunger in my Volvo xc60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Late Summer 2023 HPL Hunger Games! MAY Ods be ever in my favor!

As a side note; any discount codes that I should be aware of?

Initial data before any cleaner August 2023:

2015.5 XC60 T5 4 cylinder been eating oil since 75k miles. Now at 88k, rate of consumption ~1qt/1k miles. Currently changed oil to Castrol Edge HM 5-30 (same oil since 6k miles ... When I got it... HM started at 50k)
It's been running 15oz lubegard biotech on every oil change and Ceratec every 3rd oil change. The oil change interval avg was 9.5k/miles with max 10.5k and min 6k.

To be continued. I will update once I get the EC

Edit: should I get the EC or 1qt of the highest grade of oil that HPL offers? What would have the better cleaning profile? I just changed my oil last weekend hence the 1qt addon. I will wait until the car is down a qt (the electronic oil sensor alerts me when it's down a qt) and then add the cleaner/oil.

Edit 2: well darn I guess HPL is like lays potato chips.... you can't buy just one... I can't purchase just a single at of a PCMO

Last edited:
Just go ahead and get the the HPL PCMO 5W-30 and run it 4 5000 miles! Buy a 6 pack and report back to us in 5000 miles.

Welcome to the Late Summer 2023 HPL Hunger Games! MAY Ods be ever in my favor!

As a side note; any discount codes that I should be aware of?

Initial data before any cleaner August 2023:

2015.5 XC60 T5 4 cylinder been eating oil since 75k miles. Now at 88k, rate of consumption ~1qt/1k miles. Currently changed oil to Castrol Edge HM 5-30 (same oil since 6k miles ... When I got it... HM started at 50k)
It's been running 15oz lubegard biotech on every oil change and Ceratec every 3rd oil change. The oil change interval avg was 9.5k/miles with max 10.5k and min 6k.

To be continued. I will update once I get the EC

Edit: should I get the EC or 1qt of the highest grade of oil that HPL offers? What would have the better cleaning profile? I just changed my oil last weekend hence the 1qt addon. I will wait until the car is down a qt (the electronic oil sensor alerts me when it's down a qt) and then add the cleaner/oil.

Edit 2: well darn I guess HPL is like lays potato chips.... you can't buy just one... I can't purchase just a single at of a PCMO

Use BITOG15 on checkout for 15% off discount code.

Just go ahead and get the the HPL PCMO 5W-30 and run it 4 5000 miles! Buy a 6 pack and report back to us in 5000 miles.
Unable to justify that type of expenditure when I just changed the oil. At most I am willing to spend is for a quart of either oil or EC to top off the car once it eats a quart.

Since I can no longer edit the first post all I got to say is that with a sample size of 1 the use of ceratec or biotech didn't help at all in wear and tear that the cylinder suffered (and I had the car since 6k miles and started using ceratec at 11k and biotech as soon as I bought it so 6k). It still started to eat oil at around the mileage that average 2012-2017 Volvo customer suffers that fate, which is mid 70's. The spread is between high 40s to low 90s

Unable to justify that type of expenditure when I just changed the oil. At most I am willing to spend is for a quart of either oil or EC to top off the car once it eats a quart.
You have an issue with oil consumption, the oil you are using now is not helping you out. If the oil you were using was so good then you would not have started this Thread. 6 quarts of HPL and see what happens, it will either work or not work, but I have a feeling it will work.
Lets be real here, my option is the best option.

If my option does not work, then it is on to maybe a Piston Soak.

Starting a Thread about a problem and playing the Money Game is not going to help you out.

You have an issue with oil consumption, the oil you are using now is not helping you out. If the oil you were using was so good then you would not have started this Thread. 6 quarts of HPL and see what happens, it will either work or not work, but I have a feeling it will work.
Lets be real here, my option is the best option.

If my option does not work, then it is on to maybe a Piston Soak.

Starting a Thread about a problem and playing the Money Game is not going to help you out.
In any other time I would totally agree with you. But currently I am between jobs so wasting an oil change is not in the cards at the moment.

Honestly if I had disposable income then I would have gone the class action way where Volvo does the $500 oil consumption test then it does the $1100 pcv/firebox or something like that test and if the car still consumes oil then they replace the pistons. But I can't afford any of those tests so I am currently trying the cheaper way. I would honestly love to pour HPL into this bad boy and see what it does but that's maybe on the next 5k oil change.

The best option is not to use you as guinea pig and report back to us all on your dime. I have the same delema with my son in laws XC60 consuming a quart of oil every 500 miles.The consumption went up after switching to 0W20 per Volvo's upgraded viscosity specs.I would expect that due to this being a oil ring issue (which is explained well on YouTube) in which gets blocked due to carbon build up in which the un-scraped oil ends up in the combustion chamber.If you notice there is no smoke coming out of the tailpipe. All that being said, I would recommend the EC oil - adding 1 quart and checking or changing the oil filter at 2000 miles.Do the same at 4000 miles.If needed, change the oil and repeat for another 4000 miles. I might do a pistion soak first along with a few seafoam intake soak to clean the piston tops first,then change the oil after a few good runs and then start the EC 1 quart oil routine and observe the oil filter. The goal is to return to proper oil return to the crank case. The longer oil changes lilkely contributed to this problem to nobodies fault as Volvo changed those oil ring specs.

Up till now I have been using Castrol 0W20 (non volvo spec) and am trying to find out what the Volvo spec oil offers compared to the non spec. Looks like liquid Moly carries the Volvo Spec oil. I am not sure if Advanced Lubrication meets Volvo specs but looks like a top notch oil. I will not hesitate to use their EC oil. The owner is very pleasant and knowledgeable to talk to. He is aware of this Volvo ring issue and told me the EC should free up the oil ring drainage - might take two applications.

Any thoughts or ideas would be recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back