Rate this tire: Cooper CS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have hit some of my highest mpgs and longest max mpg runs with the CS4's on my Corolla:

Lifetime : 6.125L/100km(38.712mpgUS)
Maximum: 5.082L/100km(46.287mpgUS)

Interesting, do you have the H/V rated CS4's or the T rated? What tire did you have before the CS4's?

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I have hit some of my highest mpgs and longest max mpg runs with the CS4's on my Corolla:

Lifetime : 6.125L/100km(38.712mpgUS)
Maximum: 5.082L/100km(46.287mpgUS)

Wow!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Thread resurrect!

I'm considering replacing the Bridgestone Dueler HT687's on the Forester with Cooper CS4 T-rated. My main concern is risk of losing some mpg. I've read some reviews of the CS4 where folks complain of taking an MPG hit with them. The Dueler's were never impressive, but seem to roll easy. I dont want to put on a sluggy hard to roll tire.

A lot of this depends on where you come from. Many folks come from OE tires that wear poorly, but deliver exceptional fuel economy, and pick a tire like this one for its wear properties, not realizing that these are tradeoffs.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Thread resurrect!

I'm considering replacing the Bridgestone Dueler HT687's on the Forester with Cooper CS4 T-rated. My main concern is risk of losing some mpg. I've read some reviews of the CS4 where folks complain of taking an MPG hit with them. The Dueler's were never impressive, but seem to roll easy. I dont want to put on a sluggy hard to roll tire.

A lot of this depends on where you come from. Many folks come from OE tires that wear poorly, but deliver exceptional fuel economy, and pick a tire like this one for its wear properties, not realizing that these are tradeoffs.

Indeed! When I put on some new Hankook Optimo H727's on my daughters Mazda 3 2.0L(we considered the CS4's), it took a slight MPG hit right away which only now seems to be coming back after about 13K miles of use. And maybe an "H" rating would have helped in the corners but, these tires don't suck.
She previously had Dunlop Signatures which still had 5-6/32 on all 4 tires but, couldn't keep'em balanced, they were terrably noisy(sounded like bad wheel bearings) and 1 had a sidewall cut from a crub causing a slow leak. There just wasn't enough good things to say about the DunSig's to keep/buy them again. The ride was decent and foul weather performacne was OK. If it wasn't for the sidewall damage, she would/could have pushed them another year but the noise alone was too much to bare.

This past Spring, friends of ours put on four CS4's on their Chrysler LHS and they love'em. IDK if MPG is part of their criteria. Drove to Ocean City for a vacation and got cought in a torrential down pour. Although and knowing that the tires were brand new, they still claimed that these CS4's went through the gushing water on the highway better than any tire in recent memory. To have this much control during a heavy down pour was a reassuring feeling. They said that they have had other brand new tires that didn't do this well when new. Ultimatly, they had to pull off the road to a parking lot and waited out the rainstorm due to the poor visability. I'll have to ask how they're holding up thus far.

Lately, I have found many all season tires that do wonderful in foul weather for an A/S tire and the CS4's are among them. Better than ever before! These types of tires are now the standard for A/S tires and they're all that I'll be buying from now on regardless of brand name.

I love the witer snow/ice traction and the hydroplaning resistance of many of these new(er) tires. Even if these tires did poorly in other areas, foul weather performance alone are almost enough to consider them but, these new(er)tires do well in just about all areas including wet/dry braking and cornering/handling, easier to balance and stay balanced longer before needing another balance. Along with quiet and longevity, what more can we ask for?

Based on my personal criteria, I would consider many tires rated in the top 6-7 or even the top 10. Again, personal criteria and I'm not really talking about performance type tires(V rated/low profile). Just "standard/touring" type A/S tires.

I have been seriously considering the Cooper RS3-A, but I haven't been able to figure out for certain where they are made.
Some reports indicate Chengshan China, some say Finlay, Ohio.

It tied for 1st in a Consumer Reports review. I do take that with a grain of salt because it is Consumer Reports. I have never known them to rate a bad product as good but the opposite has been true on an occasion or two.

Interesting, do you have the H/V rated CS4's or the T rated? What tire did you have before the CS4's?

I have had the T rated 80K mile versions both times. Originals were the stock garbage I think some bottom rung Firestone Affinity which excelled at nothing. The CS4's perform well for my style of driving and my climate.

FWIW, I went with Nokian WRG2SUV. 225/60R17 Load Index 103. Index on the OE (Bridgestone Dueler) tire was 96. Ride is a bit "firm" but was expected due to overshooting the OE load index by so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back