Tire Advice 2009 Accent GS 3dr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I now have 23700 miles on my 2009 Hyundai Accent that I bought nearly new (1600 miles) last March.

When I had the car in for the 22500 service, 2 tires measures 4/32" and the other two measured 7/32". They rotated the 7/32" back to the front.

I am thinking I have around 6,000 miles max left on the stock tires (Kumho.) Seeing as how my 30000 mile service is coming very soon and I don't want to get hit with tires as well, I am thinking about changing them out around 27,000 miles. I am also concerned a bit about wet traction in the upcoming Florida rainy season (think monsoon.)

I am considering Michelin Harmony AMI ($82.99) or General Altimax RT (61.99.) I am figuring the Michelins will last around 75,000 miles, the Generals around 45,000. The vast majority of my driving is on the highway.

The Generals have an aggressive tread pattern, which I don't believe will make a difference on an economy car. My concerns are tire life and that the tire is quiet. Improved wet traction would be a big plus. I had a set of Generals on my last car (1994 BMW 325is) and they were fine.

Any other suggestions? Between the two choices I have listed, which would you recommend and why?

Hyundai Accent is the front wheel drive, front tires wear out much faster than rear tires. With 7/32" now up front and 4/32" on the rear you may be able to get 10-15k miles out of this setup until both fronts and rears wear down to 2/32". When it rains on highway, just slow down a little from 70-75MPH to 55-65MPH.

Of the two tires you mention, I have Michelin Harmony on my LS400 with +80k miles and still have 3/32" thread left. This car had many different tire brands over 17 years, none lasted more than 30k miles except Michelin. Dry and wet performance is good for a T-rated tire, low noise on highway speed and never need re-balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back