Mobil 1 EP now 20,000 mile oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTK

From the PDS
"Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30, and 5W-50 are advanced performance synthetic engine oils designed to help provide protection and performance at extended oil change intervals of up to 20,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. "

Hope I did not duplicate an earlier post on this!!

Old tig1 will be pushing the limits now.
grin2.gif

When my brother contacted Mobil a couple of months ago he was told that the EP filter could last as long as the EP oil and they quoted him 10,000-15,000 miles. Of course the Mobil EP filter has about twice the capacity for junk as the P1 and most other filters and has a synthetic media and so I would trust it to go farther than most filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Wasn't this posted previously as some sort of error?

Don't know the answer to that, but I just looked at their website and it still says up to 15,000 miles.

yeah, they have 15k in one location on the opening EP page, but 20k in multiple locations on the PDS. Which one is right? I guess you could say, if it will go 20k, it will certainly go 15k.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
20k!!! Wow, that is pretty sweet! Is it the SN formula that changed the 15k to 20k? Which changed the formula to something better than before or they just changed their minds?

Originally Posted By: TTK
yeah, they have 15k in one location on the opening EP page, but 20k in multiple locations on the PDS. Which one is right? I guess you could say, if it will go 20k, it will certainly go 15k.
crazy.gif

Well, it certainly does and here it is.

Mobil 1 5W-30EP 20K Oil

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: TTK
crazy.gif

Well, it certainly does and here it is.

Mobil 1 5W-30EP 20K Oil

I think there may be a typo someplace. If you notice the M1 5-20EP isn't listed on the PDS. This may be the new specs however for SN so we will have to wait and see.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
20,000 mile oil changes?
and three year engine rebuilds sounds good to me

What do you mean? I already have a friend that is doing 15-16K with M1 5-30EP. The engine is a 3.8 V6 in a Ford Windstar, with 130K. The engine is staying clean, sounds fine, and isn't using oil.

It appears that the 5w-30 and 5w-50 EP PDS sheets are new. The PDS sheet links for other EP oils link to this sheet, so apparently they have not been updated. Another interesting piece of data on the 5w-30 and 5w-50 is the viscosity at 40 and 100. It appears that 5w-50 is slightly thinner at those two temps.

I emailed Mobil 1 and asked why the 5W20EP PD sheet was not coming up; their reply was, "We are aware and are working on it."?????

Good Day,
Steven

grin2.gif

Johnny,
My wife's 07 Camry will soon go out of warranty. For the last 20K or so I've been using 0W20 with a 5K oci to comply with the warranty. (I know that it's a bit of a waste but I'm a syn guy). My plan was to use either Toyota 0W20 or M1 0W20 with a 7500 oci once the warranty expires. I saw in a different thread that you recommened to the guy with the new Tundra that he use M1EP 5W20 at 10K. Would you recommend that regime for my wife's car over the 7500 I was planning with 0W20? Would love for Tig to weigh in on this one too. Thanks to both for your valuable insights. BTW, I always like a bit of overkill.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
grin2.gif

Johnny,
My wife's 07 Camry will soon go out of warranty. For the last 20K or so I've been using 0W20 with a 5K oci to comply with the warranty. (I know that it's a bit of a waste but I'm a syn guy). My plan was to use either Toyota 0W20 or M1 0W20 with a 7500 oci once the warranty expires. I saw in a different thread that you recommened to the guy with the new Tundra that he use M1EP 5W20 at 10K. Would you recommend that regime for my wife's car over the 7500 I was planning with 0W20? Would love for Tig to weigh in on this one too. Thanks to both for your valuable insights. BTW, I always like a bit of overkill.

I really like their EP oils. The main reason I recommended it to the other was that he was already having good luck with it on his other Tundra doing 10K changes. There is no doubt it can handle it. Now, old tig1 is using the EP in one of his Fords and the 0W-20 in another one of his Fords, and is doing 10K changes on both of them.

I have used both in the past and they are both very good oils. I just like the added protection of the EP version.

Mobil 1 going back to their routes. Were'nt they a 20K oil when
they started back in the 70's?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Now to add could the M1 filter be a 20,000 mile oil filter?

That's a valid point. Now that we are at the point where out motor oil technology is so good - when are the filters going to be able to match the oil's abilities? I, personally, will never run my oil out to 20k miles, or even 15k - but I'd sure like a filter that could handle it so that it would be "overbuilt" and do an awesome job for my 5-7k mile changes I do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back