M1 5W30 EP D1 / Gen 3 Users ?

Does anybody know if H/K has fixed their issues with their 4 cylinder engines?
I'm pretty sure their 3.3 6 cylinder is a good, trouble free engine.

Don't go that long mileage route. I consider 4-5k too long with a HyunKia four cylinder Theta 2 engine.
Change every 3-3.5k and leave your +filter on for two OCIs (6-7k).

I change ours every 3k and I'm using +oils like Amsoil, Mobil-1 EP, Castrol EP, Valvoline EP, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.......etc.
What's most important here (besides keeping the engine innards clean), is making sure that Dipstick oil level is always at the full-mark.
Good points which I concur with - my Theta II 2.4L never sees a 5K OCI , I have been changing it at 3,750 mile (severe service) mark . *Curious though , why you would use the M1 & Castrol EP oils for such a short OCI ?

My 2018 Sonata 2.4 Theta II doesn’t burn any oil during an OCI. Currently at 52,000 miles, I change the oil every 5K miles. I switch between 5W-20 and 5W-30. I always use Full Synthetic and have used everything from Pennzoil, Havoline, Quaker State, and Valvoline. Oil filters I always use the Fram 9688 product line. Mostly Fram Extra Guard filters, currently has a Fram Ultra installed. The only time it “used” some oil was in 2021 around 25,000 miles when I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. FWIW, I’ve used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 in others vehicles and they exhibited some oil usage too. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is too thin for a 30 grade oil IMO. Their 5W-20 works fine. I dump a bottle of Techron or Gumout into the tank maybe once every 10k-15k miles, if I even remember to.

That’s it, I don’t do anything special and it runs just like new. I’m aware of all the issues these engines are known for, but I won’t let that stop me from enjoying the car. Knock on wood.
I believe PP 5W30 being around 9.6 cSt would make a good winter OCI oil .

Chris
I do the 3k OCIs because I've read so many accounts where the Theta 2 consumption issues begin after 3k use, as the engine ages.

A large majority of these four banger engine grenades are from owners who either abuse using their dipsticks or extend the OCIs beyond Severe Service 3.75k, or have turbo engines whose oil contaminates with fuel dilution while using the watery OEM-recommended 5w20 and taking the OCI out to 7k, which HyunKia Inc so mistakenly recommended for almost 10 years..

You and I (plus a host of other BITOG members), know better. That's what makes this place so worthwhile to support.

At WM M1 5W30 vanilla is $27 and the M1 5W30 EP is $29 … Many would feel that spending $2 more to use the M1 EP for a rounded up 4K mile / 6 month OCI is a waste of good oil . I say for only $2 more , it can’t hurt and probably would still be the superior fill - even at that OCI .

Anyone care to speculate what the main composition differences would be between the current M1 5W30 vanilla 10K oil and the M1 5W30 EP 20K oil in their newer D1 / Gen 3 , SP rated formulations ?

Last edited:
Anyone care to speculate what the main composition differences would be between the current M1 5W30 vanilla 10K oil and the M1 5W30 EP 20K oil in their newer D1 / Gen 3 , SP rated formulations ?
It's been stated here at BITOG several times that Vanilla (for your needs) is Group 3. For only a few dollars more, the EP (Triple Action) was a no-brainer purchase for me in the past. I like the 10w30 SP and 0w40 SP (non T/A). Been using a 50-50 frankenblend of both.

M1 5w30 vanilla is GP3 while M1 5w30EP is a PAO base stock . (These are rumors that’s going around)

Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil-1, Supertech and Fram all offer EP oils in mid-price ranges. That's the next seven 5k oil changes for you Chris and your S. Korean engines will appreciate the next seven good feeds.

If you feel 5k is too short, I do 3k OCIs using boutique Amsoil in our Kia. Yep, I've been nuts and crazy doing 3k OCIs for 56 years now

Back