Mobil 1 5W30 EP Ability to Reduce Wear ?

While the M1 5W30 EP potentially extends a drain interval out to 20K mile - do you give up any wear protection properties as compared to the "vanilla" M1 5W30 10K mile rated oil ? ... I suppose the same for the Castrol 5W30 and Quaker State 5W30 extended 20K drain interval oils - are you giving up any wear protection properties with those extended drain oil formulations as compared to their respective lower drain interval synthetic oils ?

I know that there is quite a bit of speculation on both sides of this discussion. However, the bottom line remains the same. Extending the OCI from what seems to be an ideal 5,000 miles, to 20,000 means that small particulates from wear and combustion by products along with raw fuel and evaporated fuel by-products circulate (in ever increasing amounts) for say, 15,000 miles more than they otherwise would be. This is known to wear timing chains, low tension rings, and yes, even cam lobes and followers.

As far as wear rates go, I make the claim that there is (likely to be) zero real world difference between the oils if changed at 5,000 miles. However, the EP oils may be using an AN base stock, which is a very good lubricant and has some benefits. Unless you want the oil to flow at -50ºF.

I use the EP but I don't extend beyond 10k and I'm really a 7500K kind of guy in reality. I use the EP as I get it for the same cost as vanilla Mobil 1 5-30. Safety net if I need to go longer on my OCI. Every engine is a little different. Kinda like a woman!

I look at it this way, if Mobil 1 makes good oils (and they do), and if they claim that one of their oils can go 20,000 miles “guaranteed”, then that has to be their best oil…something they do to it (base stocks, additives, whatever), has to make it better than their other oils. Because to have an oil that can go 20,000 miles isn’t easy. Unless it’s all marketing, and they can market it that way without consequence, and maybe they can?? How can you prove it isn’t? It’s not like if one of their other oils could do the exact same thing you could sue them, right?

Having said that, I’d consider their 0W40 FS Euro to be their “best oil”. At least I know (or think I know) that it has around 40% PAO, and I definitely know it has MB, VW, Porsche, and BMW certifications/licenses. And those aren’t easy to acquire. I also assume it’s not an oil for everybody (direct injected turbos because of the calcium and LSPI, maybe).

Or you can also use @Triaxlubricants where they are also rated for 20k intervals
Hawking Triax, eh? I have never seen a lube peddler like Triax before. Advertises oils as "PAO", while the SDS says Group III and Vinyl Polymers 🤣. Do they even know what they're selling in those containers? Who writes their SDS documents?

Last edited:
Or you can also use @Triaxlubricants where they are also rated for 20k intervals
"rated"

1708207656543.jpg

No way I would come close to a 20K mile OCI - just curious how the standard versus EP oils stack up to each other in wear properties for up to 10K mile OCI’s .

Doublebase said: "I also assume it’s not an oil for everybody (direct injected turbos because of the calcium and LSPI, maybe)."

Can you expand on reasons why? I have been and plan to use this (M1 0w40 FS European) on my 2016 BMW 328i F30 4-cylinder direct fuel injection. Has only about 70,000 on it. Driven in cold Michigan throughout the year on a mix of short trips (around 5 miles) 75% of time, and longer trips (20 - 25 miles) plus the occasional 70+miles trip each year (mostly in summer).

I change the oil about every 7,500 miles or two years max, even when the oil change service indicator comes on (believe the oil change setting is 8,000 miles/12 months.) Goal is to maximize the life of the vehicle. Sadly, buying a car has become a horrible experience.

Would there be a better 0W oil to use? Valvoline Euro or Castrol Edge 0W oils?

Perhaps better to re - phrase the question to : Would anti - wear properties of M1 5W30 vanilla versus M1 5W30 EP be similar at 5K , 7.5K or 10K miles OCI ? … I would never test M1 5W30 EP by running it out to 20K but would consider running the EP version out to a 12 month OCI if mileage driven was below severe service mark (Hyundai / Kia 3.75K miles) .

Would anti - wear properties of M1 5W30 vanilla versus M1 5W30 EP be similar at 5K , 7.5K or 10K miles OCI ?
The anti-wear characteristics are identical. The EP just has additional anti oxidants. For $2 extra I would pick the EP because even in a short OCI you can take advantage of more anti oxidants. The problem is that unless you have a NA port injected engine that's known to run clean, it's not a good idea to do extended OCIs with any of these oils.

Back