engine detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not aware of CD-2 making something called "engine detergent" and frankly, if you are rigidly following your factory recommended OCI, I can't see why you need that?

I can see you are new on board so welcome. Please search and read up on oil and you'll understand why I said that.

Q.

How do you know you have engine sludge' have you taken the pan off the engine or removed the valve cover?

The former owner NEVER changed the oil or the former owner didn't change it before sellinbg it to you?

Change oil often and use ARX, a site sponsor.

If you have doubts about the unknown service history of your vehicle then here are our BITOG most commonly used method of "engine flush".

(Note: for each method there are lots of strong supporters on this board here and they all have their claims with testimonials to back things up, incl. yours-truely. Ultimately, it's yours to decide):

-MMO
-BG engine flush
-full synthetic motor oil (Gp4 and beyond)
-diesel engine oil (most of them extend their claims that if diesel oil has the level of detergency to keep the soot under control, it then should be "potent" enough to clean out an already sludged gasoline)
-paint solvent
-kerosene
-stoddard solvent of some kind
-AutoRx (my fave for I see many positive results amongst my pool of users here in CA, at least we see +ve results based on before/after compression testings)
-more frequent changes of motor oil (say, 3000miles OCI?)

.....and the list goes on and on....

Q.

Id try a few other things before touching any wal-mart additive proclaimed to clean sludge.

Id start by considering a synthetic oil with high detergency... a synthetic diesel oil would be best.

Since that is pricey, Id instead do a few fast changes with a HDEO.

If that isnt strong enough, Id take a quart of oil out and put a quart of MMO in.

If I wasnt opposed to mail-order solutions, Id buy Auto-RX or LC20 and use them as directed to clean out.

If I was sure that I had sludge, Id pull the valve cover and the oil pan - since typically neither is all that tough (depending on engine type, of course), and manually and very carefully try to remove everything that I could.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
How do you know you have engine sludge' have you taken the pan off the engine or removed the valve cover?

The former owner NEVER changed the oil or the former owner didn't change it before sellinbg it to you?

Change oil often and use ARX, a site sponsor.

*former* site sponsor

Yes, why did Frank discontinue his sponsorship? It seems as though all the pertinent threads have been deleted... Censorship? Conspiracy? Hmmm....
54.gif

I tried to find the letter that Frank sent to someone (Gary Allan?) posted a couple of weeks ago and it appears to be gone- this is strange indeed.

To me it explained why Frank departed from BITOG but perhaps there's more- maybe much more- to this...

As to CD 2 Engine Detergent- never heard of it myself so I can't comment.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
they could have deleted the threads for Frank's benefit

That is a very distinct possibility, given the tone of the (now-deleted) letter I mentioned.

I didn't mean to take the thread off topic. I think we can all agree that things have been alot more civil in this board since his departure, whatever it's cause. I was just making the point that AutoRx is not a site sponsor and should not be promoted as such. There are some very good site sponsors that do what they can to keep that distinction.

Now, back on topic. I see CD2 everywhere but neither I nor anyone I know has ever tried it.

I think he left due to negative comments from those that have never run the product. Then again may be it was because it was a constant answering the same repetative questions, when the answers were just a click away. For the most part many that frequent this section of the forum, don't like the idea of running anything in oil and just like to be argumentative.

The OP asks a good question here, and the topic shifts away from the question. This is a great example of why he left.

Well, I Googled to see what I could find but the Alemite "CD-2 Oil Detergent" was the closest thing I found; however, no positively revealing information in the MSDS, at least in the one I located.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
I think he left due to negative comments from those that have never run the product. Then again may be it was because it was a constant answering the same repetative questions, when the answers were just a click away. For the most part many that frequent this section of the forum, don't like the idea of running anything in oil and just like to be argumentative.

I recall him leaving due to negative comments from those that had used his products and weren't impressed.
45.gif

It could also be the man left for medical reasons. He is battling cancer, and perhaps this could have been a little stressful for him! Cancer and stress are not a good mix. I wish him well, and a full recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back